Was Giantbomb part of the CNET Sale?

Avatar image for michaelpeterson
MichaelPeterson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Really hope everything works out, and personally I hope they have a studio in the future, I feel like they are better with it, but then I don't like change. Cnet/GS will presumably need at least some studio space when things get more normal, hopefully GB can have a space there as well.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

I mean, that's what wikipedia is.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#204 chaser324  Moderator

@humanity: As far as I know, Twitch hasn't made that change yet and is still using the GB wiki.

Avatar image for themaniacsgnome
TheManiacsGnome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@sombre said:

It doesn't help that it feels as though the staff have an active disdain for the users in the forum/reddit nowadays.

I rolled my eyes so far that they're now stuck.

tfarchive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

...also I'm definitely gonna invest in a lot of external drives in the near future to start pulling down the video archives.

FYI, I have the majority of the videos archived (except the podcast videos and trailers) and it's around 21TB (highest resolution copy only). And when I was leeching them there was a 100 download a day limit but this might've changed in the 3 years since I backfilled.

I also had them in Plex when it supported plugins so it would pull down the meta data but I watch most videos at 2x these days so I can't use Plex. All my videos have the database/media id in the file name so Plex could hit the API for the data (i.e. mc_vinnyvania_09182020_8000.mp4 became 20684_mc_vinnyvania_09182020_8000.mp4)

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@tfarchive: Oof, thanks for the heads up. Maybe I'll have to settle for a slightly lower resolution because ~$2100 in external drives doesn't sound like a wise investment.

Duxa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#209  Edited By Duxa

Well, I am guessing that if GB was a cash cow then CBS would have not sold them, meaning if they arent a cash cow new owners may not care too much about keeping it around.

I see Patreon and side hustles in crew's future. Brad/Will make Techpod style some free, with ads, others 100% paid etc.. Twitch streams etc. I cant see the current format of the website being around a year from now. I think the crew will stay together under one name, but I think it will be more akin to 8 to 10 solo ventures with frequent gusting on each other's streams/podcasts.

Sorry for being pessimistic. But I just dont see a company picking to keep GB around over Gamespot. And I dont know how the crew would feel about being rolled into Gamespot.

I see Jeff, Brad moving, I dont see Vinny moving. Vinny probably has the most transferable skill set, he can go to a non gaming job pretty easily. Which is maybe what will happen. Unless they are under a big company I dont see the rest of the crew staying in SF/NY, its just too expensive for Patreon/Twitch/Yotube streaming.

Duxa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@temg99 said:
@kcin said:

... the waning interest by ownership in the forum itself is the same narrative I've experienced on every forum I've ever been on since 1998. This is not a marker of the community's cultural evolution or decline, it's just intrinsic to forums themselves.

There isn't a BB-style forum in existence that is more active now than it was ten years ago, and the rate of a forum's activity decay will only increase as socialization on the internet continues to evolve.

Yup. I agree 100%. It has nothing to do with moderation.

Heck, I've been on forums (and BBS) since '91 (technically earlier, but didn't really get into them regularly until '91). This trending has been around since the earliest days of dialup. The only things keeping forums back then was a massive and continual influx of new users, which just does not happen. Now? Every forum is dying because of social media.

Some of the crew (Brad) spend hours in Techpod discord, when was the last time you saw him (or anyone from the crew) actively engage in discussions here?

This is a job. Other stuff is hobbies. There is a big difference in interest between the two.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

I used to reply to Erykah Badu's thoughts on teen pregnancy directly, and Desus Nice used to make fun of me from a public library computer! No forum is ever as good as its prime, which never lasts as long as you'd expect/hope.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

I always got a kick out of Giant Bomb's logo being next to 60 Minutes & Late show with Stephen Colbert.

No Caption Provided

This past week Vinny said there was 'contract worker' from the mid-west on a call with a liaison of the new owners. That person wondered where "his" little empire fit in with these new owners too.

It might sound wild to us, but there are likely people very high up with these new owners who have NO CLUE what GB is what it does. They want to know 1) how many unique visitors a month; 2) what their Google Analytics are; and 3) how much advertising revenue GB rakes-in - that's it. Do we need GameSpot, Giant Bomb and Popculture??? We do...oh, okay.

htr10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This website has survived this long for a reason. I have faith Giant Bomb will survive this too.

Radar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

This sale just screams of the Berman Braun sale of the other whiskey media properties. All of those died off or were sold off individually.

Doesn't give me a good feeling for the future of giantbomb.

Avatar image for lonelyspacepanda
LonelySpacePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

I said before I had a feeling GB would undergo changes this year (Jeff changing his Twitter byline seemed ominous given it said "I'd be crazy to stop now") and the crew could continue under a Patreon model if they so wished. MinnMaxx seems to have done that for Game Informer and it seems to be going very well for them, but they are 4 people located in the same city, I believe.

I hope people do archive stuff. I'm still so bummed the Screened stuff didn't get archived which was essentially Giant Bomb as you had GB staff talking movies regularly and it was amazing. Those videos were so fun and now (almost all of them) are gone forever. I think GB is much bigger so that won't happen ... hopefully?

YummyTreeSap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

“Red Ventures is eager to invest in CNET Media Group’s growth with more personalized consumer experiences that will reinvigorate CNET Media Group’s brands and unlock unprecedented opportunity for all”.

ah yes, i love haveing a more personalized consumer experience on the internet!! thank god!

lol it's hard to feel anything but pessimistic hearing that kind of tech company bullshit. plus the rest of their portfolio of all the nastiest type of shit on the internet, the fates of other websites that change hands, the way this year is, so on and so forth.

I do trust Jeff et al. to make the right calls, but I'd be lying if I said it's not worrisome.

cosi83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I said before I had a feeling GB would undergo changes this year (Jeff changing his Twitter byline seemed ominous given it said "I'd be crazy to stop now") and the crew could continue under a Patreon model if they so wished. MinnMaxx seems to have done that for Game Informer and it seems to be going very well for them, but they are 4 people located in the same city, I believe.

I hope people do archive stuff. I'm still so bummed the Screened stuff didn't get archived which was essentially Giant Bomb as you had GB staff talking movies regularly and it was amazing. Those videos were so fun and now (almost all of them) are gone forever. I think GB is much bigger so that won't happen ... hopefully?

Could just go back to the original crew plus Jason?

malonehart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The fact is, the press release didn’t mention GiantBomb but it did mention Gamespot. Also, Vinny and Jeff haven’t been given much information on how this acquisition will effect GiantBomb. Even if Red Ventures plans on keeping GiantBomb around, it is already clear that GiantBomb isn’t a priority. I wish GiantBomb would move away from being a subsidiary and instead became an independent corporation. I’m sure there would be willing investors that would help them out with initial cash flow. It would at least be the decent thing to do by Red Venture to have someone reach out to the heads of subsidiaries being purchased for a Q & A session. Red Ventures has the resources to reach out to the businesses individually.

Arjailer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#219  Edited By Arjailer

Last week GB said they were 10 people out of 1000, so 1%. So yes, probably not a priority.

Hopefully such a small, profitable team (by all accounts) also won't become a target.

And if the worst happens then they know exactly what to do, so I'm not overly worried about losing my fix of Jeff, Brad, Vinny, Alex etc.

LonelySpacePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What exactly is Red Ventures known for? I looked them up I just seem the most generic sites imaginable like creditcards.com or schoolresources.com or whatever. Is it like one of those things you see at the bottom of news articles that take you to weird ads? Are we going to see Brad's face screaming with the headline "You won't believe what happened next in this Spelunky run!"

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#221  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

@lonelyspacepanda said:

[...]the crew could continue under a Patreon model if they so wished.

I'm sure they could make it work considering that they kinda had a Patreon model before Patreon even existed, but there are some things that would have to change - primarily leaning more into YouTube, Twitch, and other platforms because I don't think they'd be able to staff enough technical people to maintain a website, custom chat and video player, etc.

ArmedBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

What exactly is Red Ventures known for? I looked them up I just seem the most generic sites imaginable like creditcards.com or schoolresources.com or whatever. Is it like one of those things you see at the bottom of news articles that take you to weird ads? Are we going to see Brad's face screaming with the headline "You won't believe what happened next in this Spelunky run!"

They now own videogames.com.

malonehart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I had a brief discussion with James Barker, a member of the Mergers and Acquisitions department of Red Ventures. Evidently they will be giving GiantBomb a good deal of support moving forward. To me it seemed like they are going to push GiantBomb to grow more. That should be exciting. I feel like a moron for going into panic mode when all I needed to do was to be patient.

petesix0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@malonehart: You caught a case of the fear, the madness, the mania. Best you and any of us can do is rely on the idea that such an outbreak gives you longer-lasting antibodies than COVID. And also yes, don't do that again.

tonal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#225  Edited By tonal

@malonehart said:

I had a brief discussion with James Barker, a member of the Mergers and Acquisitions department of Red Ventures. Evidently they will be giving GiantBomb a good deal of support moving forward. To me it seemed like they are going to push GiantBomb to grow more. That should be exciting. I feel like a moron for going into panic mode when all I needed to do was to be patient.

But does Red Venture's idea of "growth" follow the same path as what GB wants for GB? All we can do is wait and see. Unless you know James Barker personally, I'd say you should take anything someone tells you, with a large grain of salt, if it has anything to do with them making money from you, them benefiting from your satisfaction, etc. etc.

The proof will be in the pudding! And it may be that it's fine for some, good for all, bad for all, somewhere in between. But for me, the one thing that politics has taught me over the many years is that nothing someone says matters if they are in the business of selling you on something, it's just what happens that matters!

Pointless ranting covered for the people who don't feel like hearing it, cause man do I understand!: I wish politically and socially people would pay more attention to what people, companies, governments, etc. do vs. say... not sure but I feel it would at least help with all the current problems. But hey maybe not, because we are all in pretty messed up situations that have extremely complex solutions at this point.

notkcots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm sure that Jeff, Brad, and Vinny would be able to find a way to keep doing what they want moving forward (they've already shown that they know how to drop a brand when they have to and build a new one), but I am concerned about the back catalog. If CBS was even complaining about server costs for all of GB's videos, I have to imagine that a somewhat sketchy venture capital firm (sorry, employee dude who posted here, but looking at all the weird zombie sites in their portfolio makes it hard not to draw that conclusion) would raise their eyebrows at continuing to serve 12 years of old videos that aren't going to generate any affiliate-link clicks or new ad revenue.

This isn't to say that GB's business model isn't sustainable, as Jeff has told us multiple times that they turn a nice profit, but VC firms like this basically exist to strip-mine websites for short-term profits by turning them into ad-riddled ghost ships. If I had to guess, they're most interested in GB for its database and are willing to cut a lot of the more beloved features of the site in the name of streamlining and profit maximization. I'm downloading as many of the old classics as I can, especially the premium videos which aren't on Youtube. Hopefully I'll be proven wrong and everything will continue more-or-less as usual, but I want to make sure nobody can take Vinny's full Bioforge run away from me, by gawd.

LonelySpacePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good to know some are archiving. We already lost those early community streams that were only hosted on uStream, JustinTV or whatever.

north6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#228  Edited By north6

This is how I'd look at it, were I bigwig and just bought multiple video game sites at bargain basement rates, one with a lot of unique visitors and no paid sub model and one with 1/10 of the visitors and a paid sub model. GB has a successful long time paid sub model and talent that drives people to actually pay. The only scenario where such a model might transfer to another, say larger site, maybe something like Gamespot, is to merge the talent and the site together.

I haven't been to gamespot in years... they don't actually have a paid sub model right? I'm assuming not.

1337W422102

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

Nothing good could come of this.

petesix0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#230  Edited By petesix0

@petesix0: Turns out much like COVID, telling the feaver that you know it is there does nothing to prevent the spread.

It's a portmanteau not a typo