What sort of racing games you want to see it to be announced in the near future?

• 57 results
GTxForza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By GTxForza

Hello

I would like to share my wish list of future racing games on next-gen platforms to be announced.

For me, the ones I would love to see in the near future are:

• Assetto Corsa 2
  • Project Cars 4
  • Forza Horizon 5
  • Project Gotham Racing 5
  • New Ridge Racer
  • V-Rally 5
  • New Sega Rally
  • Battle Gear 5 (Taito)
  • New Racing Jam (Konami)
  • New Auto Modellista (Capcom)
  • Blur 2
  • MotorStorm 4
  • New Burnout
  • New Scud Race (Sega)
  • Midtown Madness 4
  • Split/Second 2
  • New Motorhead (DICE)
  • New F-Zero
  • New San Francisco Rush
  • New WipEout
  • New Excite Truck
  • New R/C Pro-Am

How about you?

daiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

BLUR 2! It will never happen, but, BLUR 2!!!

NickM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Forza Horizon 5. For me, they might as well rename that series to “Driving Game”. There’s so much variety, the core gameplay is stellar and they keep pumping them with content to the point where I don’t really feel the need to play anything else. I might play a full blown arcade racer like Onrush or a full-on sim like F1 every once in a while, but I always go back to Horizon.

Spliffmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I would really like some more top-down racing games in the style of Ignition, Death Rally and RC Pro Am.

NickM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By NickM

@spliffmaster: have Vicarious Visions do a remake of Rock’n’Roll Racing, now that they’re part of Blizzard. Those guys are good at both remakes and isometric games.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

I'd really like to see Wipeout, Ridge Racer and Project Gotham Racing return in the future.

Another thing I've been missing lately is a return to slower progression in driving games like Forza Motorsport, Gran Turismo etc. A lot of these games now give you the keys to a dozen or more cars from the very beginning and let you drive around in pretty much whatever you want after a couple of hours. While I understand why they're giving players this choice and ease, I do miss the feeling of accomplishment earlier games in these franchises gave me. Having to spend a lot of time with a single car, upgrading it and learning how to drive it more efficiently while saving up for your next slightly more expensive and faster ride was rewarding and kept my interest up with the game for a very long time.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 bigsocrates  Online

Forza Horizon 5 is the big one but that is obviously coming at some point so it's all but announced. The question is just when they will release it and where it will be set. My hope is for Japan or South Korea, because I'd like to do some real city racing rather than just having like 15 square blocks and the rest be countryside. Give us Tokyo Xtreme Racer within Forza Horizon you cowards!

Other than that I can't believe nobody has mentioned Burnout. Burnout is the best and it's extremely frustrating that the series was retired in favor of churning out a bunch of mediocre Need for Speed games.

I also want Mario Kart 9. Mario Kart 8 is the best Mario Kart but it's old now. Just give us 9 already!

Spliffmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Spliffmaster

@NickM: That would be really cool to see. I really miss those old school racers. I know there are a few indies in the same style but none of them really get the feeling quite right.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 bigsocrates  Online

@isomeri: Project Gotham Racing is never coming back because it basically became Forza Horizon. Microsoft owns the franchise (as far as I know) and much of Bizarre Creations was folded into Playground Games. The kudos system is more or less incorporated into FH. Obviously there are differences (chief among them the fact that PGR was track based rather than open world) but I can't imagine Microsoft making another game as similar to Forza Horizon.

We also aren't getting Midtown Madness 4, which is unacceptable!

Ridge Racer would be cool, and I'm not sure why Namco doesn't at least do a remake of R4, which holds up amazingly well for a PS1 game.

I notice nobody in this thread has mentioned a non-car racing game like SSX or Mad Dash Racing. I'd like to see some more variety like that.

What I'm saying is...

THE COWARDS AT SEGA NEED TO GIVE US SONIC R2!

GTxForza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By GTxForza

@bigsocrates said:

@isomeri: Project Gotham Racing is never coming back because it basically became Forza Horizon. Microsoft owns the franchise (as far as I know) and much of Bizarre Creations was folded into Playground Games. The kudos system is more or less incorporated into FH. Obviously there are differences (chief among them the fact that PGR was track based rather than open world) but I can't imagine Microsoft making another game as similar to Forza Horizon.

We also aren't getting Midtown Madness 4, which is unacceptable!

Ridge Racer would be cool, and I'm not sure why Namco doesn't at least do a remake of R4, which holds up amazingly well for a PS1 game.

I notice nobody in this thread has mentioned a non-car racing game like SSX or Mad Dash Racing. I'd like to see some more variety like that.

What I'm saying is...

THE COWARDS AT SEGA NEED TO GIVE US SONIC R2!

Also not to mention that Rockstar is refusing to continue Midnight Club series (Spiritual successor to Midtown Madness).

Midnight Club and Midtown Madness both are originally started by Angel Studios but both different IP owners, Rockstar and Microsoft respectively.

For Project Gotham Racing series, to me, it's better for Microsoft to bring this it back so fans can relive their fun memories on this legendary arcade racer.

GTxForza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By GTxForza

@bigsocrates said:

Forza Horizon 5 is the big one but that is obviously coming at some point so it's all but announced. The question is just when they will release it and where it will be set. My hope is for Japan or South Korea, because I'd like to do some real city racing rather than just having like 15 square blocks and the rest be countryside. Give us Tokyo Xtreme Racer within Forza Horizon you cowards!

Other than that I can't believe nobody has mentioned Burnout. Burnout is the best and it's extremely frustrating that the series was retired in favor of churning out a bunch of mediocre Need for Speed games.

I also want Mario Kart 9. Mario Kart 8 is the best Mario Kart but it's old now. Just give us 9 already!

I agree that Nintendo should make Mario Kart 9 for Switch because, every generation of Nintendo consoles since SNES, it should have a new installment.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bigsocrates: I get what you're saying and the PGR influence in Forza Horizon is pretty clear to see. I guess what I miss most about the Project Gotham Racing games are those tightly designed city tracks. None of the in-city driving in the Horizon games has really felt that great compared to the races taking place in the countryside.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 bigsocrates  Online

@isomeri: I agree with you that Forza Horizon has relatively weak city races. That's why I'm hoping that the next game has more of a city focus, and I think that Tokyo or Seoul would be perfect settings for that. I also think that there are advantages to hand made tracks over Forza Horizon's subdivided open world setting (though the open world obviously has its own advantages; neither is inherently better.) I just think from a practical perspective Forza Horizon forecloses the possibility of PGR. Microsoft is not going to make another simcade racer with a kudos system when Forza Horizon exists and is probably the most popular racing series with real cars of the last generation (nothing beats Mario Kart in terms of racing game popularity.) If you wanted a spiritual sequel (like PGR was to Metropolis Street Racer) you'd want the Bizarre Creations team to do it, but that team is scattered and a lot of it is at Playground making what is kind of already a spiritual successor.

I think the situation is somewhat similar to the Burnout/Need for Speed situation, where a company that makes a popular but second tier racing title is moved over to a bigger franchise and brings some but not all the elements of that title to it, except that I think Burnout has a better chance for a revival because the newer Need for Speeds are not very well liked, while Forza Horizon is a massive hit. I could see EA bringing back Burnout in the hopes of shaking things up and getting away from the recent Need for Speed issues, but Microsoft has no similar incentive to bring back PGR because Forza Horizon is massively popular. And the use of licensed cars and music in the old games means they probably won't even get remastered or made backwards compatible. Unfortunately.

I do hope that there is a primarily city based Forza Horizon that tries to incorporate more of the good elements from PGR though.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bigsocrates: I've also been thinking of an East-Asian themed Forza Horizon game for a long time.

Taiwan would probably be the best fit with a few major metropolitan areas, coastal roads, nature and lots of mountains. Unfortunately the political situation with China makes games set there almost impossible to make. Most islands in Japan have cities that are simply too big to recreate in a game like this. Even a miniaturized version of Tokyo or Osaka would take too much work to model and too much time to drive through.

Hokkaido however could be a fantastic fit. Lots of mountains, coasts, lakes, volcanoes, natural parks, smaller cities and the denser Sapporo metropolis. This location would also let them put their seasonal weather tech to good use and pile lots of snow everywhere.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 bigsocrates  Online

@isomeri: Taiwan would be great but is almost certainly a no-go for a company as big as Microsoft. While MS being huge has advantages (such as the ability to subsidize Gamepass) it also means that China can easily pressure them even if Xbox doesn't have a big presence in China.

I wouldn't worry too much about realism or cities being too big. First of all I would rather have larger cities than they've had so far as a change of pace, and secondly...Forza Horizon is clearly not concerned with realism or geography. Look at Edinburgh in FH4. Tokyo or Osaka couldn't be that small but they could be very compressed, say the size of Paradise City in Burnout Paradise, and then some countryside around them with some variety, regardless of whether it's realistic at all.

Don't get me wrong, Hokkaido would be great, I just don't think there are any particular limitations based on real world concerns. Forza Horizon is a fantasy game.

I also think that India would be an interesting location, and it's far less represented in video games than Japan so I think that would be a cool opportunity for some urban driving.

Of course what we all actually want is a Forza Horizon set in North Korea using only cars that are authentically available in North Korea. If we can't get a sequel to Pyongyang Racer we should get the next best thing!

Sahalarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I've had enough of Forza, I love the horizon games but each iteration feels more sterile than the last. What I could really go for, is a remake of need for speed underground. I want to obsess over the car that I'm driving, rather than have a massive collection of cars that I don't care about.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Onemanarmyy
No Caption Provided

Now that Flight Simulator is a thing, where's the first google maps racing game at? I need my unofficial reboot of A2 Racer

wollywoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wave Race. Make it happen Nintendo.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A new OutRun would be good for me.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Now, more than ever, is the time for a new Extreme-G.

superslidetail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

It won't happen but it would be cool to get a new Tokyo Xtreme Racer

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

A new F-Zero. Like, the fuck, Nintendo? Why you gotta Nintendo, Nintendo?

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 bigsocrates  Online

@facelessryan: F-Zero doesn't sell.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love a new F-Zero and I think Shin'en (who made the very good Fast RMX) would be the perfect studio to make it, but F-Zero just is not a big franchise.

And it's unfortunately in the same genre as Mario Kart, which is Nintendo's current best selling franchise.

warpr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@gtxforza said:

• New WipEout

I haven't really enjoyed any of the WipEouts after 3, so I just want a remaster of Wipeout 3 (or, ideally a remaster collection which has 1, 2097/XL and 3 :)

I'd like a new Rollcage, I tried GRIP: Combat Racing, but it doesn't really capture what I liked about Rollcage.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I want another Tourist Trophy but it'll never happen.

Clubvodka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

@daiphyer: I would take a remaster, though only for the online, I lost entire nights to that game for months and months.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bigsocrates said:

@facelessryan: F-Zero doesn't sell.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love a new F-Zero and I think Shin'en (who made the very good Fast RMX) would be the perfect studio to make it, but F-Zero just is not a big franchise.

And it's unfortunately in the same genre as Mario Kart, which is Nintendo's current best selling franchise.

I'm well aware. Just let me be a Karen for F-Zero and constantly ask to see the manager since I don't have the $200 to spare for a Wii and F-Zero GX on Ebay. And yeah, sure, Redout as well, especially on Rorie's monitor and a $1,200 graphics card, but it just doesn't hit the same; same for Forza Horizon not being able to scratch my itches for Need for Speed Underground 1, 2, Most Wanted (2005) and Carbon, though 2015 and Heat satiate my mood for those older games.

And now that I'm rambling about Need for Speed, quick open letter to Criterion: Burnout Paradise was fun and 3 Takedown was your masterpiece. But early Black Box and Ghost had some good ideas. Don't fuck it up by trying to be Turn 10 and Playground. If anything, emulate Hoonigan, and include Hoonicorn V2.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 bigsocrates  Online

@facelessryan: Hey buddy, you be whoever you want to be. I fully support your right to be F-Zero Karen. It was just that you asked why Nintendo gotta Nintendo and while Nintendo does make a lot of very odd decisions much of the time there's an easy explanation for why we aren't getting more F-Zero.

It would be nice to get a remaster pack or something though. GX was so darn good!

MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -2

Hmmm, for me I'd say...

• another Need for Speed Hot Pursuit Sequel (I love the PS1, PS2, and PS3 games)
  • another Need for Speed Underground
  • new Ridge Racer
  • new Wave Race
  • bring back Mega Race! Cheesy FMV and racing!
  • bring back Jet Moto you cowards!
GTxForza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@warpr said:
@gtxforza said:

• New WipEout

I haven't really enjoyed any of the WipEouts after 3, so I just want a remaster of Wipeout 3 (or, ideally a remaster collection which has 1, 2097/XL and 3 :)

I'd like a new Rollcage, I tried GRIP: Combat Racing, but it doesn't really capture what I liked about Rollcage.

To me, XDev should remake WipEout (1995), 2097/XL and 3 so the fans can relive their fun memories.

I've played GRIP: Combat Racing a little bit before, and it's okay in my opinion plus I'm not a fan of Rollcage as well.

GTxForza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hmmm, for me I'd say...

• another Need for Speed Hot Pursuit Sequel (I love the PS1, PS2, and PS3 games)
  • another Need for Speed Underground
  • new Ridge Racer
  • new Wave Race
  • bring back Mega Race! Cheesy FMV and racing!
  • bring back Jet Moto you cowards!

I hope both new Ridge Racer and Wave Race will exist in the near future.

Bane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope Forza Horizon 5 does not involve the Horizon Festival. I just don't care about it, never have. They need to come up with something else. Please, something else.

MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -2

@gtxforza: Agreed! I want to say the last Ridge Racer was...8? Was that for the 360/Ps3 generation?

I couldn't even tell you what the last Wave Race was. I'd love to see Nintendo bring it back.

Cubecubed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I would love another Horizon game, but i struggle to even think of where they'd put it at this point. Brazil or Japan are the immediate two that spring to mind, for sure.

rawrz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd ne down for a new Burnout though I not 100% sure I'd actually be down for a new Burnout since I'm guessing most of that original team is long gone and it would never capture that same magic again. I look forward to Forza Horizon 5 since that team knocks it out of the park every single time and 4 is already a damn near perfect game so why not. As long as it doesn't end up like Motorsport where 3 felt perfect and then it's been mostly regression since then.

Enk1du

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A comeback for Auto Modellista, was watching a friend stream some Asseto Corsa and we started talking about how much we enjoyed and missed Auto Modellista. It had that great cel shaded style but the driving was technical like a Gran Turismo.

GTxForza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By GTxForza

@enk1du said:

A comeback for Auto Modellista, was watching a friend stream some Asseto Corsa and we started talking about how much we enjoyed and missed Auto Modellista. It had that great cel shaded style but the driving was technical like a Gran Turismo.

I should of think of Capcom's Auto Modellista the arcade racer.

To me, Auto Modellista was more like Capcom's answer to Taito's Battle Gear series because both have to do with touge racing.

Not to mention that Battle Gear and Auto Modellista are both appeared to be inspired by Initial D.

GTxForza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By GTxForza

@mightyduck said:

@gtxforza: Agreed! I want to say the last Ridge Racer was...8? Was that for the 360/Ps3 generation?

I couldn't even tell you what the last Wave Race was. I'd love to see Nintendo bring it back.

The last Ridge Racer games on 360/PS3 generation were Ridge Racer 6 (360), 7 (PS3) and Unbounded (360/PS3/PC).

The last Wave Race was Wave Race: Blue Storm for Gamecube, almost 20 years on hiatus of this franchise.

Well in Wii Sports Resort, there is a sport called Power Cruising which gives the vibes of it.

GythaOgden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A blend of cartoon character karting and off-road. Mario meets DiRT.

GTxForza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would love another Horizon game, but i struggle to even think of where they'd put it at this point. Brazil or Japan are the immediate two that spring to mind, for sure.

I reckon Japan would be better for Forza Horizon 5's main setting.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Re-volt was fun.

GTxForza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Re-volt was fun.

Re-Volt is an underrated combat racer.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because I revisited Need for Speed Underground 1, 2, Most Wanted and Carbon over the past few days, other than music licensing issues, I don't see why those fours games can't be soft remastered. Just adjust the UI and resolution display options for resolutions beyond 480p and 720p and support more aspect ratios than 4:3 and 16:9, and clean up the PC versions by taking out SecuROM, make menu navigation with controllers as simple as it is with the console versions, and add Spotify integration as a stretch goal, and that's basically free nostalgia money and a solid plan B in case Criterion gives us another Most Wanted 2012.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 bigsocrates  Online

@facelessryan: It's not always just music licensing. Car licenses are important too, and there may be issues around actors as well (it all depends how contracts are written.) Car licenses are why the Forza games get "retired" after 4 years (they're still playable and you can download them if you own them but they are no longer on sale digitally and the discs are no longer printed.)

The older the game the more likely it is that the licensing agreements did not contemplate future versions because it's only recently that game makers have come to understand that older games have a lot of value and can be resold for big profit.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When you think of it like that, they exist in the same place as sports titles. You can't re-release old versions of FIFA or NHL. If anything, Burnout's non-licensed nature makes that nostalgia play easier to market but NFS has too many real-world brands at play.

GTxForza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shindig said:

When you think of it like that, they exist in the same place as sports titles. You can't re-release old versions of FIFA or NHL. If anything, Burnout's non-licensed nature makes that nostalgia play easier to market but NFS has too many real-world brands at play.

Yeah, I hope Burnout franchise will be resurrected in the near future.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bigsocrates: Now that's something I legit forgot about about; along with Horizon 3 being delisted last September, Driver: San Francisco, Toyota's iffiness about having their cars in games back in 2018, and Porsche's relationship with EA for the longest time.

Well, at least ebay sellers are keeping some of these older games and consoles reasonably obtainable for the time being, and there's always a will and multiple ways on PC. And as for new stuff, Night-Runners is looking very promising.