Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

L.A. Noire

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released May 17, 2011

L.A. Noire is a detective thriller developed by Team Bondi in Australia and published by Rockstar Games.

So, the PC Version

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By nintendoeats

Specs:

• Q6600 @ 3.0 ghz
    • 4GB RAM
    • Radeon 6950
    • Windows 7 64-bit

I waited long enough to buy LA Noire that I figured I may as well hold out for the PC version. Since Rockstar is not known for their PC ports (at least not in a good way) I was wary about this decision, and to some extent my reservations were vindicated by the final product. The following are the problems that I have encountered thusfar.

1. When the Steam version first downloaded (12 GB!) it included none of the in-game VO. I had to restart Steam, after which it downloaded ANOTHER 2GB. Presumably this is only a day one issue, but it still sucked.
    2. The multithreading is atrocious. My CPU consistently reports one core at 100% and the rest at 20-40%. It has a framerate to match, and while it generally runs at a solid 30 it can occasionally dip into SPF territory. This is typically only at the beginning of any given sequence when I presume the game has all kind of extra nonsense to figure out. The framerate is also MUCH worse when you are in an outdoor area. The point is, my computer should be running this at a consistent 60. On the plus side, my graphics card barely noticed that a game was running.
    3. When I first booted up the game, it just sat at a letterbox view of the car I was sitting in. I had to restart the level to get it going.
    4. This isn't a technical issue, but don't play LA Noire on a 1080 monitor. The textures and models don't hold up. I have been playing it on my 720P television, and while it doesn't look "better" it IS a lot less jarring than seeing those facial animations modeled on what graphically equates to a potato with lips.

Otherwise, I'm enjoying it thusfar. I'm very happy that they are no longer asking me to drive anywhere.

EDIT: One more thing has become apparent after playing further: MIRRORS AND OTHER REFLECTIVE SURFACES ARE COMPLETELY FUCKED.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.