Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

MAG

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Jan 26, 2010

MAG, a.k.a "Massive Action Game" was a PS3 exclusive, online-only FPS game developed by SOCOM creators Zipper Interactive. The game's most notable feature was its 256-player Domination mode.

Is MAG going away anytime soon?

rmills87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By rmills87

I just purchased MAG about a week ago and am extremely addicted. The problem that I am worried about right now is that I am seeing articles that have popped up regarding the longevity of MAG's stay-time. Plainly put, lots are just saying that MAG is dead. I understand that at some point in every game's life cycle, the cost of keeping the servers up and running outweighs what they're making from people playing their game. (Am I correct in saying this?) I am just wondering what you duders' thoughts were on this, as I am now worried after purchasing this game so late in its life cycle, that I'm going to lose out on getting to play this extremely addictive game. Anyone think the game will be out for at least another year?

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Barrock

I would imagine they will keep the servers running for at least a year or two unless the company goes under. I don't think you have anything to worry about in that regard. Hell I think SOCOM 2's servers are still running.

You might look into Battlefield 3 and Socom 4 as well.

rmills87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By rmills87

@Barrock: Wow, SOCOM 2??? Duder that is awesome news! I hope this holds true. You just made my day :-) Thanks.

Auswin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Auswin

Given the servers are still up for Warhawk and that came out in 2007, I'd say you'll be fine for a while. The only thing that would kill a game like that is nobody playing it, so if you're still finding games then I wouldn't worry.

Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By Ramone

How many people are still playing MAG? I remember when I bought it (around release date) and there was only about 5k people on there.

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Barrock

@rmillz87 said:

@Barrock: Wow, SOCOM 2??? Duder that is awesome news! I hope this holds true. You just made my day :-) Thanks.

I think so. This isn't first hand knowledge but I want to say SOCOM, and SOCOM 2 still have servers up. You might run into cheaters but, that happened even when the game was popular.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#7  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

I think MAG still has a fairly active player community, it might not be expanding much, if any, but I haven't seen any significant drops in the past year either, not even after the release of Battlefield 3, which you'd think would attract the same type of FPS gamer (or rather, both would attract Battlefield 2 players - and maybe the slight difference between the focus of MAG and BF3 is what's keeping it alive, both are very derivative of BF2, but MAG does, unlike BF3, include BF2's commander mode, as well as a fairly advanced order system, whereas BF3 has the vehicular combat stuff that MAG is missing almost entirely, unless you count the jeep, APC and immobile helicopters that are in the game). It's not a huge community mind you, but every time time I've connected there have been a few thousand people playing.

redlitez76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By redlitez76

mag is still going, been playing every day.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.