Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Matthew Rorie

Person » credited in 4 games

Once a GameSpot editor and then a Marketing and PR Producer at Obsidian Entertainment, Matt Rorie worked alongside Giant Bomb at Whiskey Media website Screened, and is now Product Manager for Giant Bomb. Matt's got faith of the heart; going where his heart will take him.

Matt Rorie's Top 5 Games He Nearly Almost Kinda Finished in 2015

• 98 results
    BLTank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Great read, Rorie, would love to read more of your musings on games. I feel ya on the LFR in WoW, but as usual, the game shines when you play with peeps you know. I still have yet to replicate the satisfaction of first time downing bosses in WoW raids with friends in any other video game.

BLTank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for shadowswordmaster
    ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I had a feeling that WOW was going to be in here.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d000a93730da
    deactivated-5d000a93730da

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

We can't all be vatt'ghern

davidh219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#55  Edited By davidh219

@sgt_nasty said:

I'm on the same page as you regarding the Bloodborne story, but maybe a bit on the negative end of the spectrum. To me, it came off as lazy story telling with no actual substance. If I play something for 40 hours, and finish it, and still have no clue what's going on, that doesn't scream quality to me.

I did ultimately enjoy the game and sure, story / lore is not the focus of the Souls games, but in my opinion it was the worst part of the experience.

Story may not be the focus of Souls games for you, but to say it's not the focus implies the creators didn't focus on it, which is incorrect. I would argue that Dark Souls has more focus on story than 99% of games, because they very rarely put something in the game purely for gameplay considerations without tying it into the story. Does Dragon Age explain how you're able to save and load your game? Does Dragon Age justify the location of every piece of loot or chest within the history and logic of its world?

I prefer stories that put me in scholar mode and force me to do research and figure shit out myself. If that isn't for you that's fine, but to call it lazy or lacking in substance irks the hell out of me because it's literally the opposite of that. Fromsoft's games are the equivalent of movies like 2001, Primer, Eraserhead, Donnie Darko, etc. The truth is deliberately withheld and obfuscated. Does that make the writer lazy, or the consumer who can't be arsed?

kasaioni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By kasaioni

I got to mission 46 in MGSV at about 60 hours in, so I'm not sure what Rorie's doing when he's playing.

Sessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

Very well written list, Rorie.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Shindig

I had the same issue with Bloodborne about how nothing is explained. The other Souls games at least try to give you some background or context to why you're there. Although there's something to be said in just placing someone in a world and leaving it at that. Especially in a game where your profession dictates you should know all this already. Noboby's going to fill in a Hunter on the intricacies of the hunt or explain the religious elements because its so ingrained in the world you inhabit.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#59  Edited By ArtisanBreads

*people say "If only Rorie did a list and sat in on podcasts we could get RPG coverage on the site for GOTY and someone who cares about quality writing and argue for Pillars of Eternity for GOTY"*

*Rorie writes a list where he says every Witcher game is bad and played an hour of Pillars of Eternity*

Not to hate I just had a laugh at that narrative after reading this.

Avatar image for the_other_oneandonly
    The_other_oneandonly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"I just find that many recent games have stories that extend somewhat further beyond the ability of their gameplay to interest me." This was a very astute criticism.

TehPickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ah, I do so love Rorie's writing

Avatar image for bigprimenumbers
    BigPrimeNumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By BigPrimeNumbers

You forgot indolence, Matt. It's a good one :)

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

That there's a fun read, by golly. Three cheers for being lazy!

Also, all of you should pay attention when Rorie talks books. Dud knows what's good. I read a couple of his recommendations in the past and found them to be smart and fun.

frytup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slimepuppy said:

Rorie, you should write more content.

This. Even if he's not playing through enough games to write full reviews, a "Rorie's Impressions" column would be worthwhile. Good writing is good.

chortleofearl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By chortleofearl

fantastic article.

ToySoldier83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By ToySoldier83

So did Rorie finish any of these games he's listed? I know finishing a game isn't a requisite to add it to your personal top whatever list and Rorie does emphasize "being lazy" as his favorite past time of 2015 (though I'll add him gushing over pups takes way more of his time than sleeping), but man, not a single one.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Woo, daily Spelunky.

damonkey64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good write up Rorie! I like that you are straight up on some of the opinions! While Witcher 3 is big and beautiful, and there are tons of things to do, if the hook is not there, then it's all for nothing. I totally understand.

Was not planning of checking it out, but since you mention AC: Syndicate, I may give it a look.

MadBootsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 17

#70  Edited By MadBootsy

Dead Rising 3?

Wertt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reaffirms my feeling that Rorie is one of the best writers on this or any gaming site. I still remember his great essay on the original Dark Souls.

listerfeend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Here's rorie still bein my favorite

Jellybones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@wertt: Agreed. Rorie's one of the few writers who I'd rather read than listen to on a podcast, and I mean that as praise for his writing, not as a slight on his presence in podcasts in the slightest.

WrathOfGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks Rorie! That's a lotta words!

nerdbloggerdan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've tried my best to like Witcher 3, but I have that same "clocking in at work" feeling. I'm actually going to start the game over from the beginning after putting about 12 hours in because I feel like breaking it up into so many 30 min to an hour sessions has done it a disservice. I'm going to start it on a weekend when the kids are at the grandparents and just plow through a huge chunk of it to see if I can discover the love.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

" I just find that many recent games have stories that extend somewhat further beyond the ability of their gameplay to interest me."

Been feeling like this alot this year, even last year too. A lot of AAA games I'll start, get 10-20 hours in, basically see all the mechanics, then can't be bothered to finish cause I don't care enough about the story and the mechanics started to bore me. I only finish maybe 2-3 AAA games a year. Only other games I really finish are those that only take like an hour or so, like Cibele.

Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Dan_CiTi

I had the same EXACT experience with Axiom Verge!! I wanted to like the game but just got lost and really don't feel like ever starting a brand new save too. Oh well. The movement was kind of meh too, always felt like you could never get into a rapid flow it seemed to hint at.

It sucks you can't get into TW3, damn those quests/characters get so rad. Plus traveling around those islands in that part of the world was like damn! I can't wait to see what fucked up shits gonna be on that island! I just love sailing in games. Oh and Triss is a pretty cool gal.

elfinke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By elfinke

I’ll be 50% of the way to beating Xe’phelos, Eater of Galaxies, but 100% done with using the same dumb attacks to fight the millionth Terror Droid that she’s sent out of her hatcheries.

This is a fabulous sentence that mirrors much of my feelings towards many games these days. I just wish it would extend more critically towards more games, and be voiced by more people (look at all those caveats around every Fallout 4 nomination on every site, everywhere).

To paraphrase Danny, we should be demanding more of our games, more often.

steveurkel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't find any information about the removal of the fatigue system from pillars of eternity (or what this even is?). After reading this I realized I NEED to play that game. I went to their page and see that they have an expansion coming in january with a bunch of changes to make it better so I think I will do what you said too. What do you mean the fatigue system though?

Honestly, if you are reading this and since you have a good video card go play the witcher 3 with reshade. There is no better looking game besides maybe assassin's creed syndicate. I have a good laugh when people tell me how good a game looks when I've been playing the witcher 3 at 4k on my 980 ti with reshade. It looks almost lifelike. That game is just a joy to behold. I can walk around the wilderness for hours doing nothing but just walking. It is just so beautiful it makes me want to tear up sometimes. I hope that whatever game they do next can compare to the witcher 3 since this is easily one of my top 10 games of all time besides quake and everquest.

Wildali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Wildali

It's good to see you guys clearly elaborate on what you disliked about Witcher 3, and I must admit...I feel much the same way that you do, Rorie, but maybe a little more of a positive bent involved there.

Witcher 3 does things with writing and characterization that no other game, PC or otherwise, has ever done. But that alone won't excuse the janky combat, the open and beautiful - but ultimately - sterile world, wrote "by-the-numbers" crafting and loot systems. It's a game I tried for months to give a damn about, but after around seven or so hours of playing the damn thing, I just stopped giving a shit.

In summation: Witcher 3: It's a slightly over-rated game more loved by its rabid fans for CDProjekt's pro-consumer stance on DRM and DLC than anything the game does itself. A real shame.

And YAY, more Fallout 4 love...maybe??

Takoyaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have the same anxiety when it comes to MMO raiding, ended up quitting FFXIV when I got to the 8 and 24 player stuff on my white mage. It was fine in the 4 player dungeons since there you have one tank, one healer and two DPS, but having to communicate with the other healers/tanks in raids was a big hurdle for me, especially since they didn't want to communicate with me. They were probably running the place for 30th time or so and just wanted to get through it quickly so they could move onto the next thing on their list, but for someone doing that stuff for the first time it was extremely confusing and of course lead to me fucking up and everyone wiping. Kinda soured me on playing more of that game, I considered leveling up black mage and joining the DPS blob but at that point I didn't really have any interest in running all those dungeons I had already run a bunch of times again and ended up peacing out on the game instead.

Avatar image for unsolvedparadox
    unsolvedparadox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By unsolvedparadox

Rorie's "top 10" is always fascinating to me, it's such a personal take on the best games of any given year.

I really do need need to finally power through my backlog of Assassin's Creed games!

rmanthorp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#83 rmanthorp  Moderator

Great write up Rorie! I wish you had more time to write more for the site - I love your personal musings and we tend to agree a lot. Hope you get the time to finish some of these.

IcarusFoundYou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great list Rorie!

Gaming fatigue is a real thing, and so far the only cure I've found is walking away for a period of time and doing something else. I had to stop playing MGS5 for 2 weeks before I could actually finish it. I just wasn't having the same amount of fun I had and the game felt like a chore.

frymillstrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By frymillstrum

Wow @rorie wait to be so mainstream. I kid, I kid.

Drebin_893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Rorie you're the best.

pkmango7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ah to hell to raiding, hardcore or otherwise, it all feels like a second job when you're not playing with close friends. It's like playing jump rope with 8+ other people, and the difficulty is always either too low or too high while everyone is scared to death of wasting others' time or their own.

I get the desire to see all the content the game has to offer, but as I get older the stress versus payoff just seems more and more ridiculous. I used to frown on people who play MMO's more casually but now I completely understand.

Scb360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ZZoMBiE13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 3

Always nice to see Dead Rising get a mention. I know I'm probably in the minority, but I just adore those games and all their silliness.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

And besides, if I wait for a full UI reskin, that will also give the community time to decide which erection mod features the penises with the most believable throbbing motions and vein coloration. These variables are not unimportant to a discriminating gamer like myself.

Wow Rorie, wow.

abrasion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hotline Miami 2 REALLY better be in the "disappointment for 2015" list, I'm still on day 1's podcasts but I'm eager to hear Jeff rip it the new one that game needs.

What a gargantuan disappointment when you consider the original. (and no, I don't even think the sountrack holds a candle to the original either)

TheMainTank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've heard it referred to as "Tanxiety" and it's real. I've done nothing but tank in MMOs since I got started the first month after WoW's launch, but I still get it. For no real reason, either. Playing FFXIV these days and there's only one fight that's hard enough to challenge a baby, but I still get that twinge of anxiety even going into a 4 man random dungeon if I don't know at least one other person.

Also agreed on The Witcher... It took me years to finally force myself through The Witcher 2, and I felt like the story was incredibly rewarding but the gameplay was a barrier. The combat always felt to me like they were trying to go for Souls, but got it mixed up with Two Worlds and ended up a horrible amalgamation of the two. Spot on about Fallout's UI as well, and anyone that says otherwise is deluding themselves. It's a well-established fact that Bethesda's UI designers are monkeys, so it's really not worth playing their games in any really serious capacity until the modding tools are out.

nonekjr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Alastair Reynold's Revelation Space-trilogy was the most excited I've been about sci-fi (novels) in a very, very long time. It's great stuff. His side-novel Chasm City (of the same universe) was a real disappointment however. Will still try and have a look into his other books in 2016 though.

Soma has a memorable and fascinating story, and it saddens me a little that so few seems to have played it to completion.

littlehippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By littlehippie

You've read IJ 4 times? Jesus. Props to you, sir.

blabbermouth64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rorie is easily one of the funniest guys on gb! Laughed out loud at the thirteenth labor of Hercules.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

@rorie Is that picture on the main page you using a puppy as a vaping device?

wintermute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

Great article, Rorie. I agree with you about the UI bullshit.

I checked Infinite Jest out of the library soon after it was released. Before diving into the story I decided to flip around through the pages and read a few paragraphs here and there. I landed on the story of a character telling about how his father committed suicide and it was so graphic and intense that I immediately returned the book unread after that. Even now, decades later, every time I ever even think of that story I'm still horrified at it. So, I don't think I'll ever read that book, it's just too much for me to handle.

RVonE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Matt is such a good writer.

jasperkazai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

WoD has been a pretty terrible expansion. I would personally put it below Cataclysm. (I actually liked Cataclysm, but I also stopped playing shortly after the last raid was released so I didn't experience the year-long fatigue of it.) I've been playing WoD since release, so that says something about me, I suppose. Although to be fair for the past 6+ months I've not really been "playing" so much as I have been logging in to do dailies and raid with my guild on raid nights. I really like my guild, which is the first time I can say that in years, so I guess it's because of them I keep playing.

Anyways, what I wanted to say was I absolutely sympathize with Rorie about tanking. My main has always been and will always be a mage, but I have a warrior alt that I like to tank on. Tanking 5-man dungeons is fine, and I like doing that. But I'm afraid as hell to tank LFR. Which has led to me not really playing my warrior at all this expansion. I actually did try to tank a wing of LFR early on, and got blamed for something I didn't even do (including by the other tank). So that ended that.

FunkyHugo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Rorie, you continue being a damn good writer. Awesome list.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.