Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

1C Company

Company »

1C Company is one of the largest Russian software developers / publishers.

The 1C Complete Pack and Me. Adrenalin.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

Edited By AlexW00d

The next game in the pack is Adrenalin, an arcade street racer come model management sim. A strange mix I know, but it kind of makes sense. I think. If that doesn't make any sense, read the official statement:

"Adrenalin is a game that successfully blends the genres of thrilling adrenalin-pumping racing

and an economic management sim. The aim of a player is to not only become the fastest driver

around, but to be a talented manager as well.

In the beginning of the game the player has to pick out one of the twelve beautiful young

ladies. One of them even exists in reality – she is the winner of Miss Russia contest in 2003.

Once you choose a character the task is to make your protégé as successful and famous as

possible.

The world of Adrenalin is a world of a TV reality show where girls from different countries

(USA, Russia, Ukraine, Sweden and even the Congo) compete to become the fastest driver and to

make a bid for the sympathy of the audience. The more popular the girl becomes, the higher her

rating grows, the more advertising and promotion offers she receives. The aim is to make the

character a superstar not just on the track, but on TV, radio and covers of magazines.

First of all Adrenalin is a show and the audience loves to be entertained. The winner is not

always the one to cross the finish line first, but the one who manages to amuse the public, the

one who does it spectacularly, the one that makes the audience scream and applaud.

12 characters – each one with her own skills and motivations 8 concept cars designed by

professional auto-designers Over 15 unique tracks built exclusively for the Adrenalin show

Various car upgrades and tuning modifications Original gameplay which combines a racing game

and a management sim Different race types, including Knockout Race, Death Match, Circuit Race,

Drift and others"

Sun Ray

A waterfall?
    A waterfall?

Once I finally figured out how to get this game to actually run (hint: force it into 1024*768 mode) I was greated with some of the worst menu music I have ever encountered; it was bad early 2000s nu-metal, definitely not what you should be opening your game with. Speaking of the music, the soundtrack to the rest of the game was just as bad, if not worse; most of it seemingly obscure too, with this being the only song I could find on the internet.

Once I had overcome the atrocity that was the menu music I found myself in some sort of weird Amsterdam style choose your lady-friend wheel of fortune where you got to choose your model/race-car driver. Each girl had a nice bio underneath that told me all about them, like Vika the former Miss Russia, Bullet the Ukrainian potty mouth forelady, Blitzkrieg the Russian business lady/biker chick, or any of the other 9 ‘beautiful ladies’. I myself chose Sun Ray for no discernible reason other than her slight resemblance to Katy Perry, of whom I would love to manage, naw’m’sayin’? They then gave the option to buy a car, although there were only two I could afford, both with a hardtop and cabriolet version, so I just chose the hardtop hatchback ‘cause why not?

Contracts
    Contracts

Once I chose my character and car I was given the contracts menu where I was able to choose advertisements to put my on cars and what rewards I would get from winning etc, much like in a Football Management game, or another weird car game my brother used to play on the PS2 that’s name very much escapes me. I didn’t really study this much as it seems you can just roll through them, doing the races each one gives you to gain money. The concept of contract seems entirely superfluous to the game because of this, but I guess it gives the model stuff some context.

The tutorial that came up post race

Then I got to the actual racing; it was fine. Whether or not fine is a good thing I do not know. It really just felt like you’d expect a weird-ass Russian driving game to feel I guess: arcadey. You rarely had to let go of the accelerator, and you hit nitrous out of every turn, and on every straight, and you would literally never run out, as you get it back for overtaking and drifting and jumping etc, much like in Burnout or the older NFS games. It’s serviceable for sure, and is probably kinda fun with your friends as you can wreck one another and knock each other off the road and other such fun things.

There’s not really much more to be said of this game. It’s ok. That’s it really. Nothing special, but a dumb model managed thing makes it somewhat interesting. More interesting than if it didn’t have it anyway. I doubt I’ll be coming back to this one, or its sequel, which ‘unfortunately’ wasn’t in this pack. Oh well, the next game has a name that has me excited for it, so ‘til tomorrow.

Alex.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By AlexW00d

The next game in the pack is Adrenalin, an arcade street racer come model management sim. A strange mix I know, but it kind of makes sense. I think. If that doesn't make any sense, read the official statement:

"Adrenalin is a game that successfully blends the genres of thrilling adrenalin-pumping racing

and an economic management sim. The aim of a player is to not only become the fastest driver

around, but to be a talented manager as well.

In the beginning of the game the player has to pick out one of the twelve beautiful young

ladies. One of them even exists in reality – she is the winner of Miss Russia contest in 2003.

Once you choose a character the task is to make your protégé as successful and famous as

possible.

The world of Adrenalin is a world of a TV reality show where girls from different countries

(USA, Russia, Ukraine, Sweden and even the Congo) compete to become the fastest driver and to

make a bid for the sympathy of the audience. The more popular the girl becomes, the higher her

rating grows, the more advertising and promotion offers she receives. The aim is to make the

character a superstar not just on the track, but on TV, radio and covers of magazines.

First of all Adrenalin is a show and the audience loves to be entertained. The winner is not

always the one to cross the finish line first, but the one who manages to amuse the public, the

one who does it spectacularly, the one that makes the audience scream and applaud.

12 characters – each one with her own skills and motivations 8 concept cars designed by

professional auto-designers Over 15 unique tracks built exclusively for the Adrenalin show

Various car upgrades and tuning modifications Original gameplay which combines a racing game

and a management sim Different race types, including Knockout Race, Death Match, Circuit Race,

Drift and others"

Sun Ray

A waterfall?
    A waterfall?

Once I finally figured out how to get this game to actually run (hint: force it into 1024*768 mode) I was greated with some of the worst menu music I have ever encountered; it was bad early 2000s nu-metal, definitely not what you should be opening your game with. Speaking of the music, the soundtrack to the rest of the game was just as bad, if not worse; most of it seemingly obscure too, with this being the only song I could find on the internet.

Once I had overcome the atrocity that was the menu music I found myself in some sort of weird Amsterdam style choose your lady-friend wheel of fortune where you got to choose your model/race-car driver. Each girl had a nice bio underneath that told me all about them, like Vika the former Miss Russia, Bullet the Ukrainian potty mouth forelady, Blitzkrieg the Russian business lady/biker chick, or any of the other 9 ‘beautiful ladies’. I myself chose Sun Ray for no discernible reason other than her slight resemblance to Katy Perry, of whom I would love to manage, naw’m’sayin’? They then gave the option to buy a car, although there were only two I could afford, both with a hardtop and cabriolet version, so I just chose the hardtop hatchback ‘cause why not?

Contracts
    Contracts

Once I chose my character and car I was given the contracts menu where I was able to choose advertisements to put my on cars and what rewards I would get from winning etc, much like in a Football Management game, or another weird car game my brother used to play on the PS2 that’s name very much escapes me. I didn’t really study this much as it seems you can just roll through them, doing the races each one gives you to gain money. The concept of contract seems entirely superfluous to the game because of this, but I guess it gives the model stuff some context.

Then I got to the actual racing; it was fine. Whether or not fine is a good thing I do not know. It really just felt like you’d expect a weird-ass Russian driving game to feel I guess: arcadey. You rarely had to let go of the accelerator, and you hit nitrous out of every turn, and on every straight, and you would literally never run out, as you get it back for overtaking and drifting and jumping etc, much like in Burnout or the older NFS games. It’s serviceable for sure, and is probably kinda fun with your friends as you can wreck one another and knock each other off the road and other such fun things.

There’s not really much more to be said of this game. It’s ok. That’s it really. Nothing special, but a dumb model managed thing makes it somewhat interesting. More interesting than if it didn’t have it anyway. I doubt I’ll be coming back to this one, or its sequel, which ‘unfortunately’ wasn’t in this pack. Oh well, the next game has a name that has me excited for it, so ‘til tomorrow.

Alex.

Xyber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Xyber

These girls does not looked dressed for racing if you ask me.

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Canteu

EXTREME ROLL, TO THE EXTREME! EXTREEEEEEEEEEEME

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By AlexW00d

@Canteu said:

EXTREME ROLL, TO THE EXTREME! EXTREEEEEEEEEEEME

RADIAL BLUR ROLL.

Akrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Akrid

We tried to get multiplayer running, but surprise surprise, it didn't work. I picked the lady whose a soldier from Kongo or something crazy like that.

The racing itself is generic and arcadey. There's shortcuts on each map, one of which is the classic through-the-waterfall. These are probably the worst car models I've ever seen, and the music was incredibly bad. One track featured heavy sampling from Terminator. The only positive to be found was the fact that the boost accelerates you infinitely, and as Alex said, it's almost impossible to run out of boost. I guess I'm not a pussy like Alex, because at times I was barrelling by at 300km/h. Surprisingly, it was legitimately terrifying, so I guess the game lives to it's namesake to a degree. But then again, the game constantly throws turns at you that you should take at 60 tops, and after many truly gnarly and xtreme crashes, I end up just slingshotting myself from first to last at every turn. I guess that's not how you're supposed to play the game.

The GamersGate description makes it sound as though there's a deep economic simulation aspect to this game, but in reality it's as thin as can be. You do races, you get skrill. That's it. It's no different from any other racing game on the planet.

dandead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By dandead

Good write up man. I have been taking a dip in to 1C's catalogue myself thanks to GamersGate's sale. Oh man I have been playing a game called Vivisector by 1C recently, crazy game let me tell you. The game was originaly going to be a Duke Nukem Extreme Hunting game but instead got turned in to a game based off the book with the same name. I highly recommend you check it out for your next game, it's actually worth playing if you dig old school shooters.

Next on my 1C viewing trip is either "You Are Empty!" or "The Stalin Line!" series. (Those games may actually not be 1C published game but it's Eastern Block and I brought them at the same time as the other 1C games!)

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By AlexW00d

@Akrid: The brake was also completely fucking useless. It did nothing so I'd just careen in to walls at every corner.

@dandead said:

Good write up man. I have been taking a dip in to 1C's catalogue myself thanks to GamersGate's sale. Oh man I have been playing a game called Vivisector by 1C recently, crazy game let me tell you. The game was originaly going to be a Duke Nukem Extreme Hunting game but instead got turned in to a game based off the book with the same name. I highly recommend you check it out for your next game, it's actually worth playing if you dig old school shooters.

Next on my 1C viewing trip is either "You Are Empty!" or "The Stalin Line!" series. (Those games may actually not be 1C published game but it's Eastern Block and I brought them at the same time as the other 1C games!)

You are Empty and Vivisector are both in this pack, the Stalin Line might be the American (if you're American) version of the Stalin Subway, but I will definitely get to them at some point. I am going through them all one by one alphabetically. As is Akrid, as we both bought the same pack :D

And yeah the screenshots for Vivisector looks sick. Gorillas with helicopter jetpacks? Goddamn.

dandead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By dandead

@AlexW00d: Yes you are correct, I got the name wrong it's Stalin Subway. Also annoyingly enough the pack does not contain the squeal to that game either! :S

At least you are going to be playing a fairly decent game for your next game! ;)

Avatar image for deathstriker666
    deathstriker666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By deathstriker666

Does anyone have the full list of 1C company games that they've developed and not just published? And here I thought games like IL-2 and Men of War were obscure. Reading these blogs makes me realize that I know next to nothing about the Eastern European games scene

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By AlexW00d

@deathstriker666 said:

Does anyone have the full list of 1C company games that they've developed and not just published? And here I thought games like IL-2 and Men of War were obscure. Reading these blogs makes me realize that I know next to nothing about the Eastern European games scene

Tbf, Adrenalin didn't even have a page here until I created one.

Wiki has this for games they themselves develop.

Entertainment software
    1C is perhaps the best known outside of Russia for developing the famous IL-2 Sturmovik line of flight sims that includes Forgotten Battles and Pacific Fighters. 1C has also developed Theatre Of War, a World War II land-based game published in the West by Battlefront.com; 1C has a long history of in-house development, as well as funding independent developers. 1C works as a publisher and producer with over 30 independent development studios and has produced over 100 projects for PC and consoles including titles like Hard Truck 2/King of the Road/Rig'n'Roll, Space Rangers,Soldiers: Heroes of World War II, Faces of War, Men of War series, Perimeter, Fantasy Wars, Death to Spies, King's Bounty: The Legend and King's Bounty: Armored Princess.
    The company continues to develop new titles, with a 2010-2011 release plan that includes such titles as Men of War: Assault Squad and Men of War: Vietnam , Captain Blood, Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad.

But I imagine there are more. Although now I read that, it's really out of date, and they didn't even develop RO2, that was Tripwire.

Anyway, enough googling would probably find you a list.

Necroscope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Necroscope

So glad I bought this pack. Men of War series is amazing and worth the price by itself.

Are some of these games duplicates with a different name? A-race extreme show and Adrenalin have the same cover image with different names. Real Warfare and XIII Century while not duplicates appear very similar. Maybe the developers economical re-use of game assets is different to the Western studios.

There are some great games that have come out of Eastern European games scene that I've played like the Stalker series, Men of War and Kings Bounty.

The other thing is that I can't get AIM 2 to install. A message appears saying the source file is corrupt. Would like to play ...

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By AlexW00d

@Necroscope: Oh dear me, you're right about A-Race and Adrenalin, even the synopsis is the same. But, whilst XIII Century and Real Warfare are by the same studio, I think they are different games, with the last XIII Century coming out in 2009, and the last Real Warfare being 2011.

And about AIM 2, I am downloading it right now, and will let you know how it goes. If it's just a corrupt source file you may just need to re-download it?

No it runs fine for me, try redownloading the installer.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.