Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

A Kingdom for Keflings

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Nov 19, 2008

An XBLA game by NinjaBee that somewhat combines Sim City with Gulliver's Travels while providing a deceptively enjoyable casual game experience.

Indie Bundle Backlog Battles #2 - A Kingdom for Keflings

ErgoMeSmart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By ErgoMeSmart

Developer: NinjaBee

Platform: XBox 360, PC (Desura, Gamersgate)

Price: £13.99 (Desura), 800MSP (XBox)

A Kingdom for Keflings was originally released on the XBox 360 in 2008, with the PC release coming 2 years later minus XBox pad support, which is a little strange, to say the least. The aim of the game is for you, the local friendly giant, to get... well, FORCE the little people, the 'Keflings', to mine and build stuff in order to improve their city. Why? Beats me.

The graphics serve their purpose perfectly in this game, with there being great ease to tell the difference between different buildings and between a miner and a lumberjack, for example. The changing seasons the game features is also a nice touch, mixing up the look and feel of the game at regular intervals. This is also aided greatly by the soundtrack, changing with the seasons and fitting in with it's surroundings.

The gameplay, however, I found to be a little... how do I put this nicely... dull. I can understand why people would enjoy it, and normally I'm a great fan of world creation games, but this one bored the tits off of me. Creating buildings is surprisingly easy, with it being achieved by building different sections and then combining sections to create the building.

On the other hand, movement around the world and management of Keflings and resources are a complete pain in the arse. In this PC version, movement is mostly through clicking, although you can also control yourself with keyboard controls, but this is never told to you ANYWHERE in the game. Hell, I only discovered this in the last 5 minutes... So, top tip: use the keyboard controls to move. Don't make the same mistake I did!

Management of Keflings meanwhile, quite possibly the most important element of the game, is painfully slow. While giving them their first job is normally an ease, having to click on them (which is quite difficult to do if they're moving, it turns out), remove their previous role and take them to their new role just takes too long, even longer if you then need to tell them to start taking resources to a certain place. A sub-menu where you could control each Kefling's role may have removed a little of the game's cuteness but would have made it MILES faster to play.

In the end, according to the game, I only played an hour and a half of the game, but it sure as hell felt like it was longer. As I said, I can see why people would enjoy this and it's sequel, A World of Keflings, but sadly for some reason it just never clicked with me.

Who is this game for? Fans of city creation games, building stuff, controlling people and being a giant.

Is it worth the price? For it's current price on PC, sadly I'd say no. For it's current price on the XBox 360, if you like this kind of game... maybe. For the price I paid for it (£1), I can't moan. Well, I CAN, but not about the price.

ErgoMeSmart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ErgoMeSmart

Developer: NinjaBee

Platform: XBox 360, PC (Desura, Gamersgate)

Price: £13.99 (Desura), 800MSP (XBox)

A Kingdom for Keflings was originally released on the XBox 360 in 2008, with the PC release coming 2 years later minus XBox pad support, which is a little strange, to say the least. The aim of the game is for you, the local friendly giant, to get... well, FORCE the little people, the 'Keflings', to mine and build stuff in order to improve their city. Why? Beats me.

The graphics serve their purpose perfectly in this game, with there being great ease to tell the difference between different buildings and between a miner and a lumberjack, for example. The changing seasons the game features is also a nice touch, mixing up the look and feel of the game at regular intervals. This is also aided greatly by the soundtrack, changing with the seasons and fitting in with it's surroundings.

The gameplay, however, I found to be a little... how do I put this nicely... dull. I can understand why people would enjoy it, and normally I'm a great fan of world creation games, but this one bored the tits off of me. Creating buildings is surprisingly easy, with it being achieved by building different sections and then combining sections to create the building.

On the other hand, movement around the world and management of Keflings and resources are a complete pain in the arse. In this PC version, movement is mostly through clicking, although you can also control yourself with keyboard controls, but this is never told to you ANYWHERE in the game. Hell, I only discovered this in the last 5 minutes... So, top tip: use the keyboard controls to move. Don't make the same mistake I did!

Management of Keflings meanwhile, quite possibly the most important element of the game, is painfully slow. While giving them their first job is normally an ease, having to click on them (which is quite difficult to do if they're moving, it turns out), remove their previous role and take them to their new role just takes too long, even longer if you then need to tell them to start taking resources to a certain place. A sub-menu where you could control each Kefling's role may have removed a little of the game's cuteness but would have made it MILES faster to play.

In the end, according to the game, I only played an hour and a half of the game, but it sure as hell felt like it was longer. As I said, I can see why people would enjoy this and it's sequel, A World of Keflings, but sadly for some reason it just never clicked with me.

Who is this game for? Fans of city creation games, building stuff, controlling people and being a giant.

Is it worth the price? For it's current price on PC, sadly I'd say no. For it's current price on the XBox 360, if you like this kind of game... maybe. For the price I paid for it (£1), I can't moan. Well, I CAN, but not about the price.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.