Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Jan 15, 2019

Eight years after Ace Combat: Assault Horizon, Ace Combat finally returns to Strangereal for one more sortie.

Which was you console Ace Combat was your Favorite

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 18

Poll Which was you console Ace Combat was your Favorite (24 votes)

Air Combat PlayStation 1995 0%
    Ace Combat 2 PlayStation 1997 0%
    Ace Combat 3: Electrosphere PlayStation 1999 8%
    Ace Combat 04: Shattered Skies PlayStation 2 2001 25%
    Ace Combat 5: The Unsung War PlayStation 2 2004 25%
    Ace Combat Zero: The Belkan War PlayStation 2 2006 4%
    Ace Combat: Assault Horizon PlayStation 3 / Xbox 360 / Microsoft Windows 2011/13 8%
    Ace Combat Infinity PlayStation 3 2014 0%
    None, why you anime-heads like this game is beyond me! 8%
    Show the results, please. 21%

Here is a full list of teh games. I took teh GB and iPhone and PSP ones off because I want to know what people will like (or desire) from the next large console title.

TitlePlatform(s)Year
    Air CombatPlayStation1995
    Ace Combat 2PlayStation1997
    Ace Combat 3: ElectrospherePlayStation1999
    Ace Combat 04: Shattered SkiesPlayStation 22001
    Ace Combat 5: The Unsung WarPlayStation 22004
    Ace Combat AdvanceGame Boy Advance2005
    Ace Combat Zero: The Belkan WarPlayStation 22006
    Ace Combat Xi: Skies of IncursioniPhone2009
    Ace Combat: Joint AssaultPlayStation Portable2010
    Ace Combat: Assault HorizonPlayStation 3 / Xbox 360 / Microsoft Windows2011 (PlayStation 3, Xbox 360- later for Windows)
    Ace Combat InfinityPlayStation 32014
    Ace Combat 7: Skies UnknownPlayStation 4 / Xbox One / Microsoft Windows2019

I cut my teeth on the Ace Combat 2, and played all the way up to Zero...which was the last liked. I'll be honest I felt like Assault Horizon was so bad that it made me sour on the property totally.

I think when Ace Combat is at its best, players have a story and cutscenes that are just the small parts that weave teh gameplay together. A nice simple format of mission briefing, fly into combat, and that is followed by a short cut scene or story element is best. Gameplay should always be 5:1 to scenes and story. If the mission take five minutes at most I want to see one minute of cutscene before the next briefing or ability to play another mission.

For that reason, my favorit is Ace Combat 04: Shattered Skies, which I just think of as the one about "the kid" who has a complex relationship with the occupying military of the man he admired who was his enemy - Yellow 13. When you think about it the story is a bit melodramatic and far fetched, but the whole game is about conflicted characters on all sides. On the positive side the game really is about playing the game and just getting tidbits of story, from the outside looking in, as the player progresses. The other games focus teh story on the pilots which too often has been over the top melodramatic and angsty.

• 
    Relkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

My favorite is the one you don't seem to have listed here: Ace Combat 6: Fires of Liberation, for the XBOX 360. I've been with the series since Air Combat, and have enjoyed most of them.

Avatar image for deactivated-6321b685abb02
    deactivated-6321b685abb02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

3 by virtue of it being the one I spent the most time with, I also didn't care for Assault Horizon. Didn't realise they were making a new one till now, I am properly ready for another Ace Combat game.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@relkin said:

My favorite is the one you don't seem to have listed here: Ace Combat 6: Fires of Liberation, for the XBOX 360. I've been with the series since Air Combat, and have enjoyed most of them.

Same, though i've only played 6 and Assault Horizon, which while still not outstanding is more bearable now than it was at launch.
    Looking forward to 7, though hopefully it's not a post process heavy wreck on PC.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#4  Edited By isomeri

Yeah, Ace Combat 6 was quite good and it's a shame it's not on this list. The first Ace Combat game I played was Shattered Skies and it remains my favourite. Ace Combat 5 and Ace Combat Zero were also great. I haven't gone back to play any of them in years, so I'm not sure how they'd hold up comparatively now.

Avatar image for deactivated-63c06c6e81315
    deactivated-63c06c6e81315

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Voted for 5 because of that anime as hell story. Almost gave it to Zero though, Mayhem is the greatest track known to man.
    Edit: I also can't deny that the fantastically early 2000s trailer for Ace Combat 5 didn't affect my vote.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

@isomeri said:

Yeah, Ace Combat 6 was quite good and it's a shame it's not on this list. The first Ace Combat game I played was Shattered Skies and it remains my favourite. Ace Combat 5 and Ace Combat Zero were also great. I haven't gone back to play any of them in years, so I'm not sure how they'd hold up comparatively now.

Whoops, sorry I missed 6, not intentional. I went back and played Ace Combat 2 and 4 a few times over the years. Ace Combat 2 holds up remarkably well, that should be a contender for the PSOne micro if they ever add games or make another one with other games.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#7 fisk0  Moderator

All the PS2 era ones are fantastic. I actually also had a good time with Assault Horizon, especially the "Capital Conquest" multiplayer mode which was around for the first year, but I kinda think my favorite remains Ace Combat 3, if only for the near future cyberpunk setting.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.