Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Activision

Company »

Activision is the largest third-party publisher in the world. It became the first third-party developer for video game consoles, and is responsible for popular franchises such as Call of Duty, Guitar Hero, and Tony Hawk.

Activision Adding Paid Services & New Online Monetization Models

• 70 results
    Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#51  Edited By Rowr

It's only a matter of time before activision go to far and shit starts backfiring on them.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By ryanwho

So I mean, people complaining, you're still buying Activision games, so really, sound and fury representing nothing. Let's be honest, whine all you want, does it affect their numbers? Not really. So don't embarrass yourselves with a faux petition when everyone in this thread will be playing Starcraft 2 paying for Battlenet.

dopeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#53  Edited By dopeman

their just fucking rumours nothing is confirmed.

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#54  Edited By meteora
    @LtWeight said:
    " @DOUBLESHOCK said:
    " they wouldn't "
    "They wont take dedicated servers" "They wont take away mods" "They wont gimp the pc verison"  Yes they will. "
    Don't scare me! >_<

@Rowr said:
    " It's only a matter of time before activision go to far and shit starts backfiring on them. "

Just like EA.
    metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#55  Edited By metal_mills
    @dopeman said:
    " their just fucking rumours nothing is confirmed. "
    There not rumours, it's from Activisions mouth and saying "It will ultimately launch" means "If we can earn money from it, expect it soon".
    wwfundertaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 25

#56  Edited By wwfundertaker

My argument for not playing online multiplayer is being justified.

essaregee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#57  Edited By essaregee

Well, they could - and I stress could - implement a subscription based model, but I think it will not happen. 

As you know, all software has a EULA (end user licence agreement) that governs the relationship between IW and yourself as a player. 
    According to 1up, (source) the game 'will stay free to play no matter what'. 

If activision does decide to implement a subscriprion based model, then it would cost the company a lot of fans, and the public outlash would be quite big. 
    And MMO FPS really doesnt make much sence. If activision is planning a MMORPG of COD, then they are fools, because it really wont work out, and then again, why would they undermine their allready succesful money grab operation aka WOW. 

The extent of the MW2 p2p system will go to DLC. as you can obviously expect, the DLC will not be free - and I am fine with paying say 10$ for a some more descent maps.  
    IF they implement a p2p system what would they really have?  

As an afterthough - Quake live is F2P, but had got a optional subscription model that give the user some benefits. Now you may be asking, what are the benifits of Quake Live subscription system when the game is still free to play and how does it relate to MW/COD, well I will enlighten you. 

The subscription model allows the subscriber to have some added bonuses that are not avalible in the non-subscription model. 
    The core gameplay remains the same and has the same maps, weapons, graphics, etc. 
    DIfference is the privilages; paid subscribers get options to host games (via dedicated servers) and invite people to their game. Game customization includes the map, gametype, private slots v.s. public slots (for example if you want to have you and a buddy + some random people v.s. another team of random people) then you would reserve a spot for your friend to join. Other people (the people who arent paying) wouldnt have a say in what game they are joining and cannot host or modify the rules; they are randomly shoved into a game. 

Randomly joining a game is the current meathod of MW2, as you do not have a say in what game you join or what map is selected. If you do a LAN game, then you are bricked from gaining exp or unlocking stuff. 

The subscription model would allow you to host games on IWnet, meaning that you would basically have dedicated server functionality; allowing you to play with a group of friends in IWnet and still unlock things. Also, its advantage over LAN would be that your friend could be anywhere in the world playing with you. Naturally game customization would follow - including weapon restrictions and map/game mode selection. 

So if they were to implement such a system it would probably be the above one that I stated. 
    I would be allright with something like that I guess - where it is not required and doesn not yeild any real advantages, but nice to have, as it does not interrupt the couse of the game for anybody else that does not want to pay. 

Who is with me on that?
    citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#58  Edited By citizenkane

You should probably add a question mark at the end of you title because it isn't set in stone just yet.  Making your title to be a statement of fact is a bit misleading.

Also, I am moving this to the Activision forum.

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#59  Edited By Jeffsekai

Fuck that, if t hey do that im selling my MW2 and never buying another COD game again. I like battlefield better anyways, MW2 is just filler until BF:BC2

Kblt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Kblt
    @essaregee said:
    Also, its advantage over LAN would be that your friend could be anywhere in the world playing with you.
    Too bad IWnet is not great enough to be like that. Hamachi is way better for emulating LAN over continents.
    Avatar image for machofantastico
    MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

User Lists: 4

#61  Edited By MachoFantastico

No offence folks, but Activision don't give a damn about us. Same goes for Blizzard, they might actually seem to care but their a business and most business couldn't care less about their customers.  

This will eventually happen, but there also relying on the Call of Duty franchise to be ever popular which I don't think it will... just look at how Halo as fallen from heaven lately. 

Feichai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Feichai

I really do not understand the move towards paying for services that were once provided with the game and either calculated into the box sales or via expansion sales. Nowadays it seems as though kids are happy to spend their hard earned cash on a pet that runs around with you in game or the ability to be able to connect to another person's network to game with them virtually. I support developers and am willing to pay for new content that they have worked on but I refuse to pay for *5 new additional clothing styles to choose from for my online avatar, or bigger rocket launchers*. This DLC bull is getting to me hard.

essaregee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#63  Edited By essaregee

DLC should be real DLC, not some filler crap that they add in just because they want to make money.   

@Kblt: Agreed, hamachi is a wonderful VLAN tool, but the main thing is that I'm not sure it works on consoles ( I mean not installing it on a console, but 'weave it in' to your network ). 
    I think the only advantage that they are going for is truly dedicated servers. On a huge match, a dedicated server is much better than a regular PC running VLAN. 

It's all a money grab.

LtWeight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By LtWeight
    @Meteora said:
    " @LtWeight said:
    " @DOUBLESHOCK said:
    " they wouldn't "
    "They wont take dedicated servers" "They wont take away mods" "They wont gimp the pc verison"  Yes they will. "
    Don't scare me! >_<

@Rowr said:
    " It's only a matter of time before activision go to far and shit starts backfiring on them. "
    Just like EA. "
    Sorry, force of habit :(
    iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By iam3green
    @xobballox said:
    " @iam3green: It's not Infinity Ward... "
    sorry when i see modern warfare 2 i think infinity ward.
    sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#66  Edited By sjschmidt93

No Caption Provided
    wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#67  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

Wait so Activision is saying the core demographic is DEMANDING they give them their money? I would like to meet this group of people that Activision made up.

Dragon_Fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#68  Edited By Dragon_Fire
    @CABBAGES said:
    " This will never happen "
    Words to live by....
    Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@iam3green: Ah, no prob, thought you were being an IW troll, my bad.
    iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By iam3green
    @xobballox said:
    " @iam3green: Ah, no prob, thought you were being an IW troll, my bad. "
    nah, i'm not a troll. i like modern warfare 2. i actually just beat it last night.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.