Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Alien Swarm

Game » consists of 1 releases. Released Jul 19, 2010

A freeware top-down co-operative shooter where a squad of marines must investigate and prevent the spread of a rampant alien infestation. It was originally a total conversion for Unreal Tournament 2004 before its team, hired by Valve for other projects, completed it as a side-project.

Alien Swarm - Battle Music Choices

Avatar image for eternaldarkwing
    EternalDarkWing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 12

Edited By EternalDarkWing

I was already thoroughly enjoying Alien Swarm by playing it the way that the developers intended it to be played, music and all. Soon enough though, my roommate pointed out to me that there was an option in-game to choose your own battle music. I was immediately blown away that they would include something like this in the game. I hadn't bothered to go digging around in the audio options menu, so I probably wouldn't have found it at all, or at least not any time soon. At the time of this discovery, I had yet to complete the Jacob's Rest campaign, so I wanted the music I was going to add to contribute significantly to the overall atmosphere of the game. Not wanting to go through too much effort, I decided to go digging around in some of the video game soundtracks I already had on my computer and add some grim, ominous songs to create some more tension. What I have listed below is what I currently have in the game.

Track Listing

BioShock -  Steinman ( Listen
    BioShock - The Dash ( Listen)
    BioShock - The Engine City ( Listen)
    Halo: Combat Evolved - Devils... Monsters... ( Listen)
    Halo 2 - Ancient Machine ( Listen
    Halo 3 - Gravemind ( Listen)
    Mass Effect 2 - The Normandy Attacked ( Listen)
    Mass Effect 2 - An Unknown Enemy ( Listen)

Some of the songs have a little calm bits in the beginning, but they pick up about half a minute into each. My personal favorite has to be 'Steinman', as it almost immediately opens up with an attack of orchestral disorder. This lends itself extremely well to some of the nerve-racking moments found in the game. Lately I've been debating whether or not I feel like switching my battle music to things that are a little more action packed, since I've played through the campaign multiple times already. I am curious as to whether or not anybody else has used this feature to enhance the gameplay experience, and if so, what your track list consists of.
    EternalDarkWing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By EternalDarkWing

I was already thoroughly enjoying Alien Swarm by playing it the way that the developers intended it to be played, music and all. Soon enough though, my roommate pointed out to me that there was an option in-game to choose your own battle music. I was immediately blown away that they would include something like this in the game. I hadn't bothered to go digging around in the audio options menu, so I probably wouldn't have found it at all, or at least not any time soon. At the time of this discovery, I had yet to complete the Jacob's Rest campaign, so I wanted the music I was going to add to contribute significantly to the overall atmosphere of the game. Not wanting to go through too much effort, I decided to go digging around in some of the video game soundtracks I already had on my computer and add some grim, ominous songs to create some more tension. What I have listed below is what I currently have in the game.

Track Listing

BioShock -  Steinman ( Listen
    BioShock - The Dash ( Listen)
    BioShock - The Engine City ( Listen)
    Halo: Combat Evolved - Devils... Monsters... ( Listen)
    Halo 2 - Ancient Machine ( Listen
    Halo 3 - Gravemind ( Listen)
    Mass Effect 2 - The Normandy Attacked ( Listen)
    Mass Effect 2 - An Unknown Enemy ( Listen)

Some of the songs have a little calm bits in the beginning, but they pick up about half a minute into each. My personal favorite has to be 'Steinman', as it almost immediately opens up with an attack of orchestral disorder. This lends itself extremely well to some of the nerve-racking moments found in the game. Lately I've been debating whether or not I feel like switching my battle music to things that are a little more action packed, since I've played through the campaign multiple times already. I am curious as to whether or not anybody else has used this feature to enhance the gameplay experience, and if so, what your track list consists of.
    Tordah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#2  Edited By Tordah

This is a pretty cool feature. I use Blotted Science - Night Terror right now. Being an instrumental track and pretty alien sounding, it's perfect for Alien Swarm. It starts off creepy so you know something bad is about to happen, and then unleashes the chaos (while continuing to be creepy throughout).

Darksaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By Darksaw

How could you use anything else?

ThePwnee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By ThePwnee

Dammit, I still can't get the music thing to work. Can someone please explain it to me? It's like I add the music, but it doesn't ever activate, even in offline practice. What gives?

EternalDarkWing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By EternalDarkWing
    @ThePwnee said:
    " Dammit, I still can't get the music thing to work. Can someone please explain it to me? It's like I add the music, but it doesn't ever activate, even in offline practice. What gives? "
    I had the same problem for a long time, and then one day it just started working. I tried posting about it on the Steam forums, but nobody bothered to reply or help out. My best advice is to just give it time I suppose. It's a weird glitch that I'm not sure there is actually a solution for yet.
    zidane_24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By zidane_24

I'm currently using Welcome Home, by Coheed and Cambria.  

Alternatively: Yakety Sax.
    Chuggsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Chuggsy

I prefer this: 

gosukiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By gosukiller

Queen - Under Pressure
    Dragonforce - Through the Fire and Flames
    Metallica - Enter Sandman
    Metallica - Frantic (Fits the most in my opinion.)
    Foo Fighters - Pretender

@Chuggsy:
    You just blew my mind!
    Right click to GALACTIC PUNT.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#9  Edited By ajamafalous

I use this:

Lol, just kidding.

I actually use this:

ThePwnee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ThePwnee
    @EternalDarkWing said:
    " @ThePwnee said:
    " Dammit, I still can't get the music thing to work. Can someone please explain it to me? It's like I add the music, but it doesn't ever activate, even in offline practice. What gives? "
    I had the same problem for a long time, and then one day it just started working. I tried posting about it on the Steam forums, but nobody bothered to reply or help out. My best advice is to just give it time I suppose. It's a weird glitch that I'm not sure there is actually a solution for yet. "
    Well at least I know it's not just me. Hopefully they'll patch it in the future, because I really want to check out this feature.
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By AhmadMetallic

not to sound like a metal elitist but i find Metal to be the best actiony music, especially for such a movie-action oriented game (all the bullet time sequences n stuff) 

I wont recommend anything, but i think the first band to come to mind is Rage Against the Machine.. thats why they used their music for The Matrix movies

Finscher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By Finscher

I've tried a bunch of different songs from different genres, but for some reason or another, Two Tribes by Frankie Goes to Hollywood is perhaps the most amusing fit while still being vaguely appropriate.

Dpower94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Dpower94

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By PureRok

I use some of The Black Mages battle music remixes, but now I have some new stuff to put in thanks to this thread (Starship Troopers and P4... I don't know why I didn't think of those.).

Edit: These are the two I use at the moment.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.