Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Aliens: Colonial Marines

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Feb 12, 2013

A first-person shooter set in the Alien universe. The player is part of a search-and-rescue team sent out to search for the missing USCM team last seen in Aliens.

How are the movies?

crimson26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By crimson26

Im thinking of watching the movies or at least good ones before i play this game. I heard about them are they still good to watch or are they dated?

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Uh.

You should absolutely watch Alien and Aliens before ever thinking about playing this game.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By penguindust

1 and 2 are good and hold up. Forget about all the rest.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By Justin258

Alien and Aliens will never be dated. Ever. They are absolutely required viewing for anyone who enjoys space, horror, monsters, good acting, interesting story, fantastic pacing, or great things in general.

The third movie went through development hell. That something watchable came out of that is amazing, and that it's good is a downright miracle. And that the whole mess was handed down to a first-time director to wrap up and get out (David Fincher) is just plain something else. None of this changes the fact that Alien 3 has pacing issues, some bad dialogue, it's sometimes hard to understand exactly what's going on, etc., but Alien 3 is still a film worth watching regardless. I just feel like it deserves a bit of a disclaimer so you don't expect the same brilliance that the first two showed.

BigBoss1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5  Edited By BigBoss1911

Alien and Aliens are both classics, the 3rd grows on you, Resurrection is total garbage.

crimson26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By crimson26

So after a quick Google search im foncused. So is alien the first film? And aliens the second? Also are any other worth watching?

crimson26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By crimson26

@PenguinDust said:

Even prometheus? I heard that was good or is it not.

Avatar image for crabslayerdefunct
    CrabSlayerdefunct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By CrabSlayerdefunct

I would recommend watching the first two movies. While they are a little dated, I consider them sci-fi classics.

Colonial Marines is also a direct sequel to the second movie, so it might help you understand the story better if watch the movies.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crimson26 said:

@PenguinDust said:

Only Alien and Aliens are essential. The other films you watch at your own risk. And none of the others feed into understanding the specific plot of the game.

graf1k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By graf1k

My honest opinion, and I know I'm going to be an outlier here, is that Alien was fucking phenomenal, and Aliens sucked and sucked hard. I know, I know, Aliens was supposed to be an action movie and not an atmospheric and tense movie like Alien, but honestly I don't get how people can cite that as an excuse and then trash Resident Evil 5/6 for the exact same thing. That's not to say I'm defending RE6 at all, although I will defend RE5 a little bit (I really liked that game), but it's a logical inconsistency to say it's totally okay to ignore the genre this series comes from for one thing but not another. Plus I think Aliens was just a shitty action movie anyway. I think they even talked about it on the Bombcast but it's completely idiotic that the xenomorphs are in every other single representation of them, killing machines of the highest magnitude, but these marines just fucking smoke them like it's nothing in Aliens. It's so goddamn stupid I just can't understand how anyone could get past that. Although Ripley's battle at the end was pretty cool and I liked Lance Hendrickson as the robot.

But for Allah's sake, don't watch the other Alien(s) movies. I'm a massive David Fincher fan but the third movie is among the dumbest, most boring movie experiences I think I've ever had and I can only assume Resurrection was as bad or worse.

crimson26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By crimson26

@CrabSlayer said:

I would recommend watching the first two movies. While they are a little dated, I consider them sci-fi classics. Colonial Marines is also a direct sequel to the second movie, so it might help you understand the story better if watch the movies.

Wow really i never even knew that! I expected it to be based on them not continue the story, guess video games are finally becoming a good source to tell a story . Who is writing it anyone from movies or is gearbox allowed to do what they want.

beeftothetaco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By beeftothetaco

Alien is fantastic and Aliens is pretty good. Skip the other two.

BigBoss1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13  Edited By BigBoss1911

@crimson26 said:

@PenguinDust said:

Prometheus is a good movie in of itself but makes no sense when linking the story to Alien.

Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By Ramone

Alien and Aliens should be seen regardless of the games, they are both classics.

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By RazielCuts

People tend to hate on Resurrection but it is one of my guilty pleasures, parts of it are so dumb it crosses the line to be likeable.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#16  Edited By BeachThunder

Here are my reviews for the first 3 Aliens movies:

^__^

:D

:)

Avatar image for deactivated-57d4cf64585b7
    deactivated-57d4cf64585b7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have watched almost all of them. My favorite by far is Alien. I mean Aliens is a good action movie, but I did not like it specifically because it was more action oriented. A lot of Aliens Colonial Marines should be ripped from stuff mentioned in Aliens if they are going with canon at all.

As a total side note when I was walking through a wax museum in Canada they had a life size Xenomorph it scared the living shit out of me and was so awesome at the same time.

vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By vaiz

As everyone else said, watch Alien and Aliens. Fuck the rest.

John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#19  Edited By John1912

@BigBoss1911 said:

@crimson26 said:

@PenguinDust said:

Prometheus is a good movie in of itself but makes no sense when linking the story to Alien.

No, no it wasnt....

@crimson26 said:

@PenguinDust said:

Prometheus can die in a fire! That movie is fucking awful! Far as Im concerned that film is not part of the Alien universe. It never happened!

Avatar image for crabslayerdefunct
    CrabSlayerdefunct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crimson26

@CrabSlayer said:

I would recommend watching the first two movies. While they are a little dated, I consider them sci-fi classics. Colonial Marines is also a direct sequel to the second movie, so it might help you understand the story better if watch the movies.

Wow really i never even knew that! I expected it to be based on them not continue the story, guess video games are finally becoming a good source to tell a story . Who is writing it anyone from movies or is gearbox allowed to do what they want.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?feature=relmfu&v;=7fleUUTCa6U

Here's a link to the trailer where Randy says that their continuing the story. I have no idea who the writer/writers are, but I hope its good.
    pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#21  Edited By pr1mus

Alien > Aliens > Alien 3 > Prometheus > Alien Resurrection.

Personally i'd stop after Alien 3. Anyway Prometheus isn't an Alien film. It could lead to that if there's a sequel but as of now it's not the case.

Tylea002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#22  Edited By Tylea002

Alien is a classic, Alien 3 is a good time.

The others are not worth it.

Homer39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Homer39

Alien and Aliens are required viewing, the work print version of Alien 3 is a much better film than the theatrical cut (its much closer to David Fincher's vision for the film, at least thats what I have read), and I like to pretend Resurrection dosent exist.

Bane122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Bane122

First two are great, third is good, fourth is bad if taken as an Alien film. Ressurection would have been fine as a standalone sci-fi movie, but as a continuation to the Alien series... bleh.   

Prometheus I really enjoyed despite some big problems. Hopefully the sequel will be better written. It also only has the barest of ties to the Alien movies so you could skip it if you wanted.

jillsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By jillsandwich

Alien is one of the most stressful and not fun experiences you may have watching a movie(in a really good way), Aliens is just straight up perfect. Alien 3 is great in spots, but pretty uneven. You should just watch the first three anyway even if you don't play CM.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Spoonman671

Why haven't you watched these movies you son of a bitch?

Go with the first three movies. I don't know why some people have a problem with the third one, I think it's great.

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#27  Edited By Sooperspy

Alien is one of the best suspense/horror films ever made

Aliens is one of the best action movies ever made

Both are very, very great films. Definitely watch them.

Oh, and they have a 3rd and 4th movie as well, don't they? Yeah, skip those.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#28  Edited By ArtisanBreads

Holy crap.

Watch Alien and Aliens.

I liked Prometheus a lot too but its really a very different animal.

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
    TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By TheSouthernDandy

1 and 2 are required watching. Genre defining movies, do not wait another minute, go watch them now. 3 is a good movie and doesn't deserve the shit it gets, you should definitely watch it. 4 is garbage. It's watchable but barely.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#30  Edited By Sackmanjones
    @crimson26 said:

@PenguinDust said:

I think Prometheus is a pretty great film, I'd say watch it. But everyone has said what needs to be said, the first two are absolute classics and they are must watch films. Alien 3 is a stretch, there are things to like and you can see what they were going for but it falls short. Still, there is some enjoyment in there. Alien Resurrection  is a really really REALLY stupid movie, buuuuuuuut if you set your expectations, it can be some dumb fun. 
    ltsmash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By ltsmash
    Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Fredchuckdave

First is probably still the best Ridley Scott film, second is a solid, entertaining action movie, third has some really interesting concepts but isn't very well executed; still worth watching though.

Prometheus is a gorgeous very silly and entertaining philosophical exercise, but if you don't view it through the philosophical lens then it can be underwhelming.

spiceninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#33  Edited By spiceninja

Colonial Marines is a direct sequel to Aliens so you should watch it. You should also watch it because it's a damn good movie.

Strife777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Strife777

First two are fantastic but quite different. Third one is from maybe my favorite director, but apparently had some troubled development, so it's sort of rough in my opinion, but still enjoyable. It might not hold up as much though, there's a few spots with old CG and it stands out.

I haven't watched 4 yet but I heard it's quite terrible. As far as Prometheus goes, I find it excellent, but not required. It's very related to the Alien fiction, but it's going for it's own thing. Call it a reboot/spin-off/re-imagining.

capnhaggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#35  Edited By capnhaggis

@graf1k: i would say its a little different...Aliens was a deviation from the first movie, and was only the second film in the series. I think because of that there is definitely some room for changes. Especially when the second film is handed off to an entirely new director. With something like Resident Evil 5/6 they are already at their fifth and sixth iterations of a franchise that had been well established to be a horror genre. While 4 changed it up some there was still definitely some great horror undertones. While I really enjoyed my time with RE 5, I can totally understand why people would hate it, but I will never understand why people don't like Aliens.

AiurFlux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By AiurFlux

@crimson26 said:

@PenguinDust said:

Prometheus is fine, but it's relatively inconsequential to the overall story and mythos of the Alien series outside of the last 10 minutes. If you go in expecting an Alien prequel you will be disappointed. If you go in expecting a reasonably good science fiction movie then you'll have a better time.

Alien is an absolute must watch, as is Aliens. Alien 3 is hit or miss for some people but it can be relatively enjoyable if you don't expect the same quality as the first two. Resurrection is pretty bad though. There's a lot of action in it but the plot and dialogue are pretty terrible so it's hard to care about the characters. Even Ron Fucking Perlman couldn't save that movie.

artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By artelinarose

Alien and Aliens are fantastic, Alien 3 is just fine and worth watching. It's a shame they never continued the franchise, a fourth movie would have been really neat! I am one of those weird people that prefers Alien to Aliens. They're completely different types of movies and I honestly just feel that the Alien as an unknown hunter is so much more effective than the unstoppable force that they are in Aliens. Alien is wonderful because you spend so much of the movie not knowing what it is that you're supposed to be afraid of that by the time you hit the third act your imagination has made you more afraid of the monster than the monster's acts ever could have.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Ghostiet

Alien and Aliens. Alien 3 isn't exactly good, but it has the single best scene in all the films - the one with the xenomorph sticking his maw right next to Ripley's face. Resurrection is just, just no.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#39  Edited By Deranged

This game takes place after Aliens, which is the second film in the series. After that, don't bother.

Wrect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Wrect

Aliens (1986) is the best science fiction movie ever made. Full stop.

sdharrison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Aliens was a James Cameron-ing of a really dark and interesting mythos. All the hits, story beats, child actors, simplistic themes, cliched characters, etc. The effects look cheap, and the Marines themselves grow more and more comical with each viewing. The amazing thing with Aliens is how it remains so well loved despite being what so many people dislike about hollywood. It took interesting mysteries, made them stupid, blew things up, and ropped the Xenomorph of it's terror. The series needed a reboot afterward, but it was before Hollywood knew how to reboot so we got 3 and 4. The series is dead now, and will remain dead until people start understanding it was Aliens that killed it.

Nardak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Nardak

As others have said. Aliens 1 is an absolute classic and belongs to the horror hall of fame with movies like "the thing" and "shining".Aliens 2 is also a pretty good film. I wouldnt rate it as high as aliens 1 as it is more action oriented. Aliens 3 isnt a bad film either. I kinda liked the setting and the plot wasnt that bad either.

Rest of the alien films are pretty much garbage. Aliens 4 had a decent intro but the plot is absolutely cringeworthy. That particular film also has one of the worst creature designs in any alien film.

Dauthi693

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

saw the thread title. My reaction R U SERIOUS

That said i echo the posts above the first 2 are great films 3rd is decent.

granderojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#44  Edited By granderojo

I watched Prometheus twice and rewatched both Alien and Aliens after A:CM came out. I love all these movies, especially Prometheus. Despite it's flaws I enjoyed seeing Ridley Scott's hubris and fleshing out what previously were such thin concepts into something meaningful in Prometheus. I also enjoyed the scientists and engineers being complete meatheads. I think I'm going to go watch Prometheus again...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.