Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Aliens: Colonial Marines

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Feb 12, 2013

A first-person shooter set in the Alien universe. The player is part of a search-and-rescue team sent out to search for the missing USCM team last seen in Aliens.

The strange case of Randy and the Aliens

swedmiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By swedmiro

There might be more to see behind the curtains than we think regarding the strange case of Randy and the Aliens. A project that started such a long time ago has of course had its ups and downs and probably seen the end of the tunnel of possibilities more than one time. Obviously the game has been built, rebuilt and then taken apart again several times.

Good marketing kills bad products!

Now, the real mystery is of course why they kept on showing a version of the game so different from what would later come out. As a marketing guy I must say I am very surprised by the discrepancy between final product and the marketing material. It is such a fundamental thing not oversell a product, at least to that degree. All differences between the promises made about a product and what the product can deliver is very damaging both in the short and the long run.

The difference between what was promised and what was delivered I call an expectation gap. All expectation gaps will turn into emotional reactions. When the gap is negative you will get disappointed and feel cheated. When the gap is positive you will get positive reactions and people will spread a positive word. (side note on spreading the word. Rule of thumb says that a disappointed buyer tells 3 times as many persons about a bad product than a satisfied customer tells about a good product).

So, the simple fact is that if you make a very good marketing campaign for a bad product it will in the long run actually make it sell less. The marketing will bring a critical mass of disappointed customers to complain to their friends and warn them about the product. There are several cases through history when products sold better in markets in which they had no marketing than in markets where the marketing effort was high. The other way around, to undersell a product, will of course result in fewer people wanting to buy the product. (In the case of games it probably might help the reviews since reviewers will get positively surprised).

This might not have been a mistake!

This is, as I said earlier, very well researched and its about the first thing you learn in marketing 101. So why did SEGA do this huge mistake? My answer is that they probably didn't. My guess is that after the game was delayed for so long, SEGA decided to make it a launch game for the new generation of consoles. This would explain the very good looking game we saw in the preview material sinced it was aimed for more powerful consoles. Current console generations simply couldn't handle all the graphical goodies and the AI resource hogging and when they changed course and decided to launch it now due to some unexplained reason (perhaps IP rights or economics or something like that) all the changes needed to strip down the game broke it. I can easily see a game break horribly when you take it apart to make it fit into a weaker system.

I choose to believe this is probably why this calamity went down. Alternative reasons all boils down to pure stupidity and in this day and age businesses and marketeers should, and must, know better.

Make_Me_Mad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By Make_Me_Mad

My theory is that Gearbox fucked up.

Edit: Alternate theory: They knew the game was going to be shit after they spent so much time clearly not working on it, but there was no way they could delay it any farther so they figured "Hey, we'll show this fake-ass demo and then sell everyone something way worse. They'll complain but fuck it, we still have Borderlands cash."

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

No Caption Provided

Trust in Randy.

He got 'cho back!

swedmiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They all did fuck up and the way they are handling the bad publicity is on par with Ocean Markettings (yes he spelled it like that) giant turd of a reaction.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

He's in such a weird spot with that company. He gets a lot of the praise when the going is good and a bunch of the blame when things go shitty. I mean he's the president of the company. How much of the development do you think the dude was involved in? I know at the end of the day he's responsible for everything the company does despite how much he was actually involved in the good/bad parts of the game. It's just amazing how much of the blame fans are putting on him and him alone. You'd think they would know better.

But ultimately I think fans, again as always, feel way more entitled to everything and have forgotten how little pull they actually have. It's pretty gross.

swedmiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By swedmiro

It is also important to know that the final say on when to release this game was SEGA. They have the license and they are the one who say go.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.