Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Aliens vs. Predator

Game » consists of 15 releases. Released Feb 16, 2010

The third game in the popular AvP franchise. Players are be able to control one of the three deadly species in a fight for survival.

Nightmare mode: Too hard?

Gid3on

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Gid3on

Been trying to play through the AvP campaigns on Nightmare difficulty, at first mostly for achievments, and I'm curious what other peoples thoughts about it are.  I ask this because while the game certainly becomes a lot more frustrating ie: getting killed and having to restart the entire level because I ran into a turrent fumbling with the Alien controls, but its also made the game a whole lot more intense and rewarding when I do finally get through a level.  I'm on the edge of my seat, especially in the marine campaign, because death hold actual consequence.  Other games you die and its no big deal, just reload and try again, here its alot more severe.  While I'm still not sure if this is a good way of adding tension to a game or if its just frustrating and poor design.  It got me thinking about the increased difficulty= added reward at the end arguments.
    Anywho thats my thoughts, anyone else care to share theirs?

Avatar image for crazymexicancarpi
    crazymexicancarpi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By crazymexicancarpi

I havnt tried it on nightmare (Doing it on Normal). Been sucked into the multiplayer. Also if you go slow you'll hardly get seen or shot at. So look for all options before attacking anyone. 

Edit: I know it wasnt my thoughts about the difficulty, just advice.
    Talesavo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Talesavo

It's called Hardcore mode, suck it up.

danguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By danguy
    @Talesavo said:
    " It's called Hardcore mode, suck it up. "
    Amazing!

Anyway, I'm doing it on normal, after that's done I'll do nightmare for the achievements.
    Gid3on

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Gid3on

Finally beat every mission on nightmare and I gotta say it was pretty satisfying to finish off each campaign.
    Marine gave me the most trouble mostly on the boss fights or whenever something got too close and i blew its head off showering myself in acid

Azure_Valkyrie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Azure_Valkyrie

Congratulations. :) 

I haven't played Nightmare yet, but then again I only just finished all three campaigns on Normal today. 

I'm not sure if removing checkpoints is the best way to make the game feel harder. I think a better way would have been to increase the number of enemies, or possibly increase the quality of enemy AI on harder difficulties.
    Asthbel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By Asthbel

All I can say is like playing old school games like the NES ninja gaiden 3 or castlevania 1 and 3 and to be honest I liked this Noghtmare difficulty, is being a  long time since I have seen this sistem, is not like ninja gaiden in the xbox it has ton of checkpoints but is just cheap difficulty.

DarkPredatorUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By DarkPredatorUK

A friend of mine has beat it on nightmare and i don't know if i can put the time in, I don't wanna end up stressed out and hating the game when I'm loving the multiplayer so much right now.
    Maybe in time I'll give it a shot but the lack of checkpoints is really putting me off, no matter how 'hardcore' it is, I don't wana go a whole mission just to die and start again....

Jamakan_Inc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By Jamakan_Inc

Anyone else feel like Jeff's reveiw didnt really give the game a fair shake? I mean he barely mentioned the multiplayer.. 

Ah well, everyone is entitled to an opinion.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.