Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dishonored

Game » consists of 28 releases. Released Oct 09, 2012

After the Empress is killed, her most loyal bodyguard, Corvo, becomes the prime suspect, and must track down those who murdered his charge and betrayed him in order to enact his bloody revenge.

How was it?

laxgrubby26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I've been looking at videos and reviews and I'm interested in what people think about it. Now that it's 30 bucks, I'm thinking about getting it. I bought Bioshock: Infinite and absolutely loved it (I just ordered the first and second one in that special pack because I couldn't get enough of it). The game play, art, and story was terrific and Dishonored kind of looks like it has a lot of similar aspects. I'm looking for some short or long reviews to hear your opinion after finishing it and whether it's worth the buy

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

It was wonderful

If you enjoyed infinite

I'm sure you'll love this

CosmoKramer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By CosmoKramer

From a gameplay perspective, it's great, albeit very different from Infinite. Depending on how you want to play it, in can be a stealth game, an action game or a bit of both. Every mission also offers several ways for you to get to your objective. On the way, you'll use some pretty rad super powers, like a teleport or a time-stopping ability. If you played Deus Ex: HR, it's a lot like that - almost suspiciously so. I think the game really shines when you're quietly making your way around the levels, teleporting yourself, stopping time and seeing through walls - but I'm sure you could find fun in slaughtering you're way through the game, if you're into that. I expected it to be longer than what it turned out to be, roughly 12 hours that is. Although, to be fair, there's quite a few (useful) collectibles and lore stuff scattered around, as well as the possibility of replaying the game with a different play style, if you want some replayability.

As far as the story goes, I found it predictable, dull and disappointing, given the awesome world and lore that goes with it. I feel like it never lived up to its full potential and had a rushed, lazy ending. I wouldn't go into this game for the story. I heard good things about the side-story DLC Knife of Dunwall though, so I guess you could eventually get into that. Also, let me emphasize again that it has a very unique and interesting world, mixing lots of influences that are nearly unheard of in current video games - it just happens to be let down by the actual story.

But who actually gives a fuck about the story when the gameplay's good? Get it, 30 bucks is a bargain.

elyk247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 25

I liked Infinite a lot, but I never could get into Dishonored. I always felt like I was being penalized whenever I got into combat and used my powers. To see the best ending, you have to be perfect. But I also felt that the platforming system was clunky.

Also, while the world is no doubt unique and cool, the characters in it aren't. Most of the characters are there to move the plot along, having little endearing qualities that would otherwise make them stand out. I'd say rent it first, but that's just me.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I thought it was a lot better than Infinite.

thebunnyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Dishonored is really worth the time and cash. One of my favorite games last year. The world that Dishonored is set in is fantastic even if the main narritive isnt perfect (its good...but not as good as Infinite's amazing story) On the gameplay side i preferred Dishonored; Binking and stealthing your way through levels is rewarding (went though and killed no one and didnt raise a single alarm...and it wasnt tedious like other stealth games), but if you prefer to be a mindless killer its not gona be as good as infinite even if the powers and swordplay allow it. Also 30 bucks for a great game....i never regretted it at 60

YOU_DIED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dishonored is great. Infinite had an amazing setting but mediocre rooty-tooty-point-n-shooty gameplay. Dishonored has a decent setting and fantastic stealth gameplay. I wouldn't play Dishonored if you are expecting something besides a stealth game, though.

Chop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By Chop

Lifeless. The game is pure mechanics; if you're down with that, great. If you're like me and need some personality in your games, I can't really recommend it.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
    deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I didn't get a chance to finish it but from what I played it was excellent. I especially LOVED the visuals for some reason.

bgdiner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#10  Edited By bgdiner

@beachthunder:

Don't think I don't see
    That haiku staring at me
    Creativity

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

It was wonderful

If you enjoyed infinite

Haiku aside, how is Bioshock anything like Dishonored? I never got the comparison, they aren't similar in gameplay or aesthetics or anything like that at all.

On topic, Dishonored's gameplay and level design are pretty good, mostly, but the story is disappointing and the dialogue often looks down on the player for killing dudes. Too bad the combat is best when you're creatively killing dudes. So if you don't mind that little juxtaposition - trust me, it's worse than it sounds, then go for it. It's not worth $60 but $30 sounds about right.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@beachthunder said:

It was wonderful

If you enjoyed infinite

Haiku aside, how is Bioshock anything like Dishonored? I never got the comparison, they aren't similar in gameplay or aesthetics or anything like that at all.

On topic, Dishonored's gameplay and level design are pretty good, mostly, but the story is disappointing and the dialogue often looks down on the player for killing dudes. Too bad the combat is best when you're creatively killing dudes. So if you don't mind that little juxtaposition - trust me, it's worse than it sounds, then go for it. It's not worth $60 but $30 sounds about right.

o_0 but, really, they're heaps similar:

Both immersive sims/first person shooters with 'magical powers' to augment gunplay; both have an emphasis on being able to solve each level in myriad ways; both are set in perverted versions of the real world (fake-London/sky-America); etc...

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@believer258 said:

@beachthunder said:

It was wonderful

If you enjoyed infinite

Both immersive sims/first person shooters with 'magical powers' to augment gunplay; both have an emphasis on being able to solve each level in myriad ways; both are set in perverted versions of the real world (fake-London/sky-America); etc...

All right. Go on. That doesn't quite sell me on them being as similar as people say; are there any other ways?

laserguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bioshock was a great game, Booker talked, he had a personality, Corvo is a mute re-re. Dishonored is not that good. Did you like the mute in rage? Half-Life? Doom? What else? What other mute re-re's can you think of? Fuck Corvo. Fuck Dishonored.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@beachthunder said:

@believer258 said:

@beachthunder said:

It was wonderful

If you enjoyed infinite

All right. Go on. That doesn't quite sell me on them being as similar as people say; are there any other ways?

There's certainly more I could say, but I'm not going to write a comparative essay until you're on my side. I thought what I said was enough to suggest that the games are at least somewhat similar. I mean, I'm not trying to suggest plagiarism, or whatnot, on behalf of Irrational (or Arkane). I'm just saying that the games share a number of things in common. Consider comparing Rayman Origins and New Super Mario Bros. U; I don't think the Dishonored/BioShock Infinite comparison is too dissimilar to that comparison. Yes, I just compared a comparison to another comparison o_O

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I really liked it! It's a gorgeous game, plays great, wasn't too long and wasn't too short. I don't really want another one though. It's a nice sort of one-shot experience. Come in, see this cool world, experience this predictable but acceptable story, and keep all your questions about the Outsider or whatever else with you.

That said, I might check out the DLC. Just because you can pause mid-air and blink, Mark of the Ninja style, which sounds really fucking fun.

JouselDelka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By JouselDelka

I'm a massive stealth fan, first person fan, medieval times fan, and PC gamer.

And yet I couldn't stand Dishonored. Something about the cartoony AI guards/enemies and the aesthetics made it feel so shitty. I had it maxed out on PC and it still felt like dog poo was smeared across every surface.

The gameplay was great, but executing it on those stupidly moving cartoon enemies in that stupidly drawn and colored world that looks like a big rotten apple felt like shit.

But that's just my personal opinion.

fetchfox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By fetchfox

I loved the stealth and how you could solve a contract in several, and often, completely different ways. There is much love, and some hate, in this thread, but really... you just have to try it for yourself. If you know someone that owns it, try it there.

Avatar image for deactivated-62f93c42ce57b
    deactivated-62f93c42ce57b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i havent finished it but im close. the backlog keeps distracting me...

i like pretty much everything about it. such a great atmosphere and mechanics. the story and missions are really enjoyable because do what you want and the hole game eventually changes depending on how you have played so far. in my book, its a must play.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#20  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

It was absolutely delightful. It's definitely worth 30 bucks.

Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#22  Edited By Nekroskop

It's pretty fucking good if you play it stealthily and on the highest difficulty. It's not really that hard though since you got matrix powers. If you enjoy the game, I suggest you get the second and third DLCs. (The first one is just some dumb arena challenge mode)

It was 12 Euroes during the Steam sale. Too slow, buddy...

@jouseldelka Yeah, they kinda fucked up with porting it to PC. I don't buy the whole "It's a painting, it's supposed to be blurry and undetailed" look. I guess it's one of those things they decided to do since the game had a hell of a long development time and they were over budget.

clumsyninja1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

The story is pretty weak however the mechanics are interesting. Play it at your own risk.

Avatar image for wrinklydinosaur
    WrinklyDinosaur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@elyk247 said:

I liked Infinite a lot, but I never could get into Dishonored. I always felt like I was being penalized whenever I got into combat and used my powers. To see the best ending, you have to be perfect. But I also felt that the platforming system was clunky.

Also, while the world is no doubt unique and cool, the characters in it aren't. Most of the characters are there to move the plot along, having little endearing qualities that would otherwise make them stand out. I'd say rent it first, but that's just me.

A whole lot of this sadly. I was so so excited for Dishonored, but could never get into it for the life of me. Every uni break since I got it, I have tried to get into it because I am so excited by individual parts of the game. For example, the concept of a supernatural assassin sounds tremendous. The powers were ( felt) innovative and novel in a good way. As a whole, Dishonored (so far) didn't come together for me.\

That all being said, perhaps you are someone who will really enjoy it. My suggestion would be to borrow it either from a friend or a store as it feels like a real hit or miss type of game. Hope that all helps!

Dimi3je

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Dimi3je

I went back to Dishonored recently to play The Knife of Dunwall and The Brigmore Witches DLC and it was amazing. Dishonored was my favorite game of 2012 alongside XCOM. You should definitely give it a try!

34f3ecwdc3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked some aspects of the game, but it didn't caught me enough. Bioshock Infinite is far way better than Dishonored in my opinion.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I feel the opposite way.

Dishonored was pretty much what I wanted Bioshock to be.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By fattony12000

It's a dope-ass game, for sure.

It's nice and broad in it's mechanical depth (combination of ranged/melee weaponry, traps and distractions, magical skills, technology, abilities, interaction with the enemy AI, accommodating to varied playstyles), and rich enough in it's visuals and storyline to be, overall, a lovely little chungus of a video game. It's like a delightfully hot meat pie on a brisk autumnal afternoon.

vikingdeath1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only real similarity I can see between those two games are that they both have magic on the left hands.

other than that they are incredibly different (aside from the same camera perspective)

Dishonored became one of my favorite games when I played it, and Bioshock remains my favorite of all time, I still wholeheartedly recommend both games as excellence.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
    deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

I love it. The mechanics are great and has a super unique personality and style.

Qwinn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jouseldelka: couldn't agree more. I finished it but never really enjoyed it. I'd say its a pass but I know I'm in the minority.

Qwinn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Qwinn

@jouseldelka: couldn't agree more. I finished it but never really enjoyed it. I'd say its a pass but I know I'm in the minority.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I got about half way in before something happened to make me stop playing games for a while, and i haven't gotten back into but it was pretty great while i played it. Never played the original Deus Ex, but i really liked human revolution and this actually felt better than that mechanically. Felt kinda like a mix between that and bioshock, i was playing a ghost though so maybe the more combat focused playstyle isn't as good but i wouldn't know

DeathByWaffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#34  Edited By DeathByWaffle

I had a lot of fun with it, it was a great game. I think it could have had a better story - the ending especially is sudden and a letdown. However, the mechanics are pretty great and it is a fun and satisfying game to play. Go play it!

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

it's got flaws, some points are poorly written, bad voice acting but I found the game very addicting and engrossing. Unlike Bioshock infinite you never feel it's linear, but then it's got a bit of jank where you don't feel it breaks the effect over what you did in the game. I was chased by 3 guards, wan down a hall into a small bookshelf, hid under it, they couldn't see me and hacked their legs till they died. There was a bit where the Empress opens a door without any door animation and just pops right through it.

The DLC really did polish a lot of the game, the books have better writing the sections feel bigger more things to do even if you went through them in original Dishonored, the lead character actually has a voice even if Michael Madsen sounds drunk. I really love Susan Sarandon and Brad Dourif but man they were horrible.

I mean it's got flaws, but I still enjoyed it a lot. If they announced a part 2, I'd buy it day one.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

it's got flaws, some points are poorly written, bad voice acting but I found the game very addicting and engrossing. Unlike Bioshock infinite you never feel it's linear, but then it's got a bit of jank where you don't feel it breaks the effect over what you did in the game. I was chased by 3 guards, wan down a hall into a small bookshelf, hid under it, they couldn't see me and hacked their legs till they died. There was a bit where the Empress opens a door without any door animation and just pops right through it.

The DLC really did polish a lot of the game, the books have better writing the sections feel bigger more things to do even if you went through them in original Dishonored, the lead character actually has a voice even if Michael Madsen sounds drunk. I really love Susan Sarandon and Brad Dourif but man they were horrible.

I mean it's got flaws, but I still enjoyed it a lot. If they announced a part 2, I'd buy it day one.

flameboy298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was amazing to me..I love the stealth and the gameplay was amazing,but I wish the game wasn't so short...

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I liked it a lot. Played it stealthily all the way through, no Splinter Cell style gunfights.

Avatar image for killer_meatballs
    killer_meatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#39  Edited By killer_meatballs

I absolutely love this game. I usually never play a game more than once, but have played this game twice (both High and Low Chaos).

I think I might play it a third time to go for the Clean Hands Achievement and I'm one who doesn't care about achievement's, but like the challenge of that one.

I love the stealth, and even though there are so many unique ways to kill, this is the first game I've played that was fun to play NOT killing anyone! It's that good.

I'm not saying it's the greatest game ever, and some have their faults with it, but I really love it.

thebunnyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If anyone is interested in this game its 7.50 on amazon for a steam code, awesome deal for one of last years best games.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By veektarius

I didn't care for it, probably for story-related reasons, but the mechanics weren't very forgiving either. Lost interest maybe 3 missions in.

TheHumanDove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm almost finished it from the steam sale. Honestly, I find it completely mediocre and don't quite get how it was so well received

WickedFather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I fucking hated it. I played on Hard and went for Low Chaos, which I got. Early in I reloaded every time I got caught and had to kill people then later on I got caught and thought fuck it and killed about 35 people in one level - still low chaos. The choke mechanic would fail fairly regularly and for people madly trying to do a no-detect, no-kill playthrough that must have been maddening but you had the sleep dart get out of jail free card for that.

And so much time was spent in the see through walls view. It should have that linger thing like Ac4 where you still see marked enemies in normal view, even if it tapered off.

I turned madman in the DLC which made it a lot better but in a way still showed how not quite right the game was even if you were trying to have mental fun. High chaos at the end of the first DLC went to low chaos by the end of the second and it was kind of fun to finish it in about 5 different ways.

Could have been a classic if I'd been a consultant. 3/5 only because of the party level.

Quote me and get angry. That's what I'm here for.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.