Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Fallout 3

Game » consists of 45 releases. Released Oct 28, 2008

In Bethesda's first-person revival of the classic post-apocalyptic RPG series, the player is forced to leave Vault 101 and venture out into the irradiated wasteland of Washington D.C. to find his or her father.

steam help

cloudnineboya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By cloudnineboya
    • was going to buy fallout 3 on steam but there is a 'not compatible optimized with windows 7' warning. anyone played this on w7 is there real issues playing, was looking forward to trying and actually finish this game this time.
    DeeGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@cloudnineboya: It worked perfectly fine for me on Windows 7.

Well, as good as any Fallout game can work, anyway. They are notoriously buggy.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

it works alright, the issues that you might come across probably has more to do with the game as it's a buggy "mess"(like @deegee said). Mostly in a good way

cloudnineboya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By cloudnineboya

@deegee: @zeforgotten: cool thanks, was disappointed when i saw the warning, wow the game still has bugs thought maybe the pc version would be better! oh well gonna get it anyways.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@deegee: @zeforgotten: cool thanks, was disappointed when i saw the warning, wow the game still has bugs thought maybe the pc version would be better! oh well gonna get it anyways.

Take the bugs out of a Bethesda game and it won't be fun anymore! :P

Dauthi693

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It says "Fallout 3 is not optimized for Windows 7" basicly it was released before wondows 7 was released so couldn't be put on the supported os list as it wasn't out.

It more a warning for a few OS down the line that some workrounds might be needed.

As for Fallout 3 on windows 7 i think i've done it i've definately played fallout:new vegas in windows 7 without issues (except it being a Bethesda game so ofc expect bugs).

cloudnineboya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zeforgotten: true dat, gonna ask a dumb question but is las vegas a stand alone game?

UncleDisco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#8  Edited By UncleDisco

I've had some issues with it randomly crashing to desktop on Window 7. Sometimes I would be fine for a couple of hours, and other times it would die after 20 minutes of play. I think though it might be more related to the game not liking my newer hardware.

gike987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By gike987
    @Gnubberen said:

I've had some issues with it randomly crashing to desktop on Window 7. Sometimes I would be fine for a couple of hours, and other times it would die after 20 minutes of play. I think though it might be more related to the game not liking my newer hardware.

This is just how Fallout 3 is. That was my experience when playing through the game at release (Fallout 3 crashed even for me more than Fallout NV did, it's the most unstable game I have ever played).

EvilNiGHTS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

@cloudnineboya: New Vegas is completely separate (I played Fallout 3 on Xbox and New Vegas on Steam). As for that game's stability, I played for about 50 hours and the only bugs I saw were within the game environment itself. No lockups or crashes to desktop, but the occasional NPC doing something dumb.

UncleDisco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@gike987 said:
    @Gnubberen said:

This is just how Fallout 3 is. That was my experience when playing through the game at release (Fallout 3 crashed even for me more than Fallout NV did, it's the most unstable game I have ever played).

Well back when I played it on Windows Xp, with older hardware, I didn't have that issue. But then again, maybe I had a bug that prevented it from crashing randomly. :P

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@cloudnineboya: If you have a quad core processor, you might run into an issue where the game freezes every ten minutes or so. While I don't have the exact link right now (mobile), there is a mod that fixes the problem. Look up "Fallout 3 quad core fix" or something similar and it should show up.

cloudnineboya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@banefirelord: and you are right it does keep freezing , i am updating NET.framework now i got a warning when i installed so hopefully this will help if not then i will try the workaround.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.