YouTube/Twitch/etc recommendations

rahulricky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

This discussion Does anyone else feel like the GB staff's tastes are too homogeneous to use the site to reliably find new games anymore? has several people commenting that they don't expect GB to be their one stop shop and have other options to turn to when needed. Whenever I search for a video game I'm interested in and randomly select a popular streamer's video it doesn't work for me for some reason or another. It'd be great to have some recommendations of people to watch, especially if you could include what type of games they typically play and perhaps what it is about them you like. I figure if you're already GB fans, maybe our tastes match better than the general internet.

Thanks!

north6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By north6

Joseph Anderson is fantastic, I find myself agreeing with his takes almost always, and does a great job of breaking down critically and surgically what I find other critics describe nebulously as "bad gameplay" or some tired buzzwords. His takes on Dragon's Dogma, breaking down why the battle system is fucked, for example, is spot on and told with a precise style that I appreciate. His endorsement of Edith Finch made me check it out (if you haven't played it, do that, and then watch his great review), and I realized it had been a really long time since I had enjoyed a game as much, and I really doubt I would have played or stuck with it if not for his recommendation. All that said, I think he's shifted away from that style of produced critque on youtube and does twitch streams now.

SuperBunnyHop also does a great job for some of the same reasons, though isn't really as incisive as Anderson.

A month ago I would have said Tim Rogers, but he's doing his own thing right now and has sorta gone dark I guess - Anyway he quit Kotaku. He is relentlessly positive about almost all games, but I mostly just enjoy his bizarre takes and his commentary. Very few gamesmen are able to cultivate their own *really* unique personality, he is sort of the anti-Dan as far as his gaming tastes but I will pretty much watch either of them read a phone book (Vinny is the same way, but he's already at GB!).

thebunnyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I've recently stumbled upon Minime , he shows off alot of neat ports of games and lately his content has been pretty fantastic.

wollywoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By wollywoo

You seem to be looking for game streamers in particular... the only ones I ever watch are GB Quick Looks and occasionally Patrick Klepek's Mario Maker Mornings. But I'll suggest other good gaming or gaming-adjacent youtube channels:

Mark Brown. Each video has a strong, central thesis about game design that he explores with numerous examples. One of the very best explainers of the choices that go into making video games fun.

Errant Signal. Generally more focused on the thematic/story material in games. Always has an interesting take.

Drawfee. Probably my favorite Youtube channel. It's a small group of artists who draw silly stuff in real-time based on suggestions. Not strictly gaming related, but a lot of episodes with suggestions from games. Hilarious and upbeat - it almost always puts a smile on my face. They apparently lost their jobs as CollegeHumor shut down, but they are still making content, and they have some sort of future for the channel in mind. They also stream games (Twitch?) apparently, but I've never watched that.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Noah Caldwell-Gervais is really good. He goes in deep on game design, storytelling and even does some outstanding travelogues. He's not that prolific but it just makes his uploads feel more valuable. Kinda like how I feel about Mathewmatosis.

sombre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I like Easy Allies video reviews, but I find a lot of their other content to be pretty unwatchable

Avatar image for atheistpreacher
AtheistPreacher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, here's two recommendations, neither of which quite fits with OP's request, because one is more written content than video, and the other is defunct. But maybe someone will like them anyway.

I really, really admire Tom Chick's written reviews (he's a truly fabulous writer) and his unique take on things over at Quarter to Three. One might accuse him of giving click-baity scores, but even if I don't always agree with him, I'm always interested in what he has to say. His reviews for Inside and Dragon's Dogma pretty well capture what I like about him. Too bad he writes way fewer reviews than I'd like him to.

I also wanted to mention Kay Plays, a YouTuber who stopped posting abruptly in June 2016. Kay is a middle-aged woman who, at the suggestion of her boyfriend, started recording her blind playthrough of Dark Souls as a joke, never intending to go very far. But instead of a few videos of her failing miserably, she played through the whole thing, and went on to record playthroughs of a number of other games I like. She's just an incredibly pleasant and genuine person, the only YouTuber gamer I cared to watch regularly. You won't find any new stuff watching her playlists, but they're fun viewing nonetheless.

rahulricky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Some great tips, thanks all! Looking forward to a nice slate of new people to watch.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#9 FinalDasa  Moderator

If you're into fighting games or a similar "hanging out with the bros on a couch" vibe, check out Maximilian Dood on Youtube and Twitch.

He's a staple of the FGC, a really warm and welcoming guy, and his stuff with Yo! Videogames is very entertaining.

JoeDangerous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@north6 said:

A month ago I would have said Tim Rogers, but he's doing his own thing right now and has sorta gone dark I guess - Anyway he quit Kotaku. He is relentlessly positive about almost all games, but I mostly just enjoy his bizarre takes and his commentary. Very few gamesmen are able to cultivate their own *really* unique personality, he is sort of the anti-Dan as far as his gaming tastes but I will pretty much watch either of them read a phone book (Vinny is the same way, but he's already at GB!).

Oh wow I had no idea Tim was not with Kotaku anymore. Best wishes to him and Action Button I hope it does well. I'll second him as someone to keep in mind he's very unique.

I'll also second a watch to Maximilian_Dood if you're into FGC stuff or FF7 material. If you're looking for a more chill streamer, possibly more Nintendo-centric, then I'd easily vote Vinesauce. Dude's absurdly relaxed and still fun to view.