BOTW2 has been delayed to Spring 2023

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

Ruh roh!

Shame but I'm sure it'll be good nonetheless. Maybe it'll launch on Switch 2?

Panfoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I don't pay much attention to Nintendo stuff but I kind of always thought it was gonna be next year in the first place.

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

<insert Fry “I’m shocked” gif here>

I figured the writing was on the wall when they announced Xenoblade for the fall at the last Direct.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It'll still release before Bayonetta 3 and Metroid Prime 4. And that saddens me.

gtxforza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Oh dear, I didn't expect this to happen but hopefully, the game is going to be awesome when it launches.

AV_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 13

This makes it clear that the game won't come out until a new Switch is released, because the current one doesn't have the technology to do what Nintendo wants to do with those games in terms of making them run well. I believe the games are finished or close to being finished, but they run like crap on the current Switch, meaning way under 30fps. If I'm correct, then expect a surprise Switch Pro or Switch 2 announcement later this year. Jeff Gubb has mentioned the rumors are starting up again, and this time the rumors might be correct.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really hope the long development and delays mean the scope of this game has gone beyond the initial concept. When first revealed, it sounded like the idea was this game would re-use the world and assets of BotW to allow for a quicker development period than the original game.

It would be a real bummer if this game ends up being a "BotW 1.5" without much new geometry that somehow takes 6 years to come out. At the very least I hope all this development time means the game will have 10 - 12 big, aesthetically rich, true Zelda dungeons.

MindBullet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

This isn't surprising, but I'm curious why so many people seem convinced this is confirmation of Switch Pro being real now? Are we just assuming Nintendo would only delay BOTW2 for new hardware or have they actually said anything since the OLED model dropped?

wollywoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Eh it's fine. It just means Nintendo will have more time. I'm not a game developer, but I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the best things come in toward the end. My guess is that some of the team will spend this time wrapping up on key dungeons and story elements while others will now suddenly find themselves with a few extra months to polish and add extra content. The extras here are what I really enjoy the most - weird side-quests, quirky characters, secrets - and some of the devs are hopefully going to find themselves with more time to add in more of that wonderful detail that made the original BOTW special. And since the engine was already in place from the first game, they've had all this time already just to work on content. I think this game will be something special.

At the very least I hope all this development time means the game will have 10 - 12 big, aesthetically rich, true Zelda dungeons.

Yup, a BOTW-like open world with many fully-fleshed out dungeons with more diverse environments sounds amazing.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ll_Exile_ll
@wollywoo said:

Eh it's fine. It just means Nintendo will have more time. I'm not a game developer, but I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the best things come in toward the end. My guess is that some of the team will spend this time wrapping up on key dungeons and story elements while others will now suddenly find themselves with a few extra months to polish and add extra content. The extras here are what I really enjoy the most - weird side-quests, quirky characters, secrets - and some of the devs are hopefully going to find themselves with more time to add in more of that wonderful detail that made the original BOTW special. And since the engine was already in place from the first game, they've had all this time already just to work on content. I think this game will be something special.

@ll_exile_ll said:

At the very least I hope all this development time means the game will have 10 - 12 big, aesthetically rich, true Zelda dungeons.

Yup, a BOTW-like open world with many fully-fleshed out dungeons with more diverse environments sounds amazing.

That was always my biggest gripe with BotW, the lack of real dungeons. Those were always my favorite part of Zelda games, and while the world and exploration in BotW were fantastic, losing dungeons was a big blow. Other Zelda staples that they ditched didn't really bother me, but dungeons were a bridge too far.

Looking at Elden Ring, the sense that dungeons didn't need to be sacrificed in the move to open world is only strengthened. Elden Ring is pretty comparable to BotW in a lot of ways. Both being their series' big jump to open world with a focus on exploration with a ton of mini dungeons scattered all over the world. However, whereas Zelda failed to implement the dungeon design the series was known for, Elden Ring seamless integrated a bunch of fantastically designed and artistically striking Dark Souls type levels all over its open world.

Elden Ring is a great example of a series moving to open world yet still delivering on the aspects that made the prior the games great in a way that BotW failed to do. Like I said in my previous post, this sequel is a great opportunity to rectify that.

blackadder88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Known how Nintendo works it's going to be released on the switch 2

thelingo56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By thelingo56

I feel like any Switch 2 stuff will depend on what Nvidia announces in the fall. If they've got a new mobile SoC or big Nvidia Shield refresh announced then yeah, it's probably coming in late 2023 or somewhere in 2024.

wollywoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ll_exile_ll: That makes Elden Ring sound great. I've avoided it because of the notorious difficulty of these games and the frustration I've had getting into Bloodbourne. I'm not used to the long wind-ups for attacks - it's very different from the snappy, twitchy controls I'm used to from Nintendo games. But, maybe I will have to give it a shot. Hopefully the ability to nope out of areas that are too challenging and go somewhere else in the open world will make it less frustrating for me.

Senate4242

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Very shocking....

Stop with release dates years in advance. I realize they do it for share holders, but they are rarely met. Build hype for your game, but don't give me a release date until 2-3 months before.

It is silly to see preorders for digital games(minus preloading). Its even more silly to see them for games that dont release for almost a year and you know will be pushed out at least once.