Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

Could Use Some Help with PS4 Rest Mode Issue

Ginormous76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By Ginormous76

I'm sure many of you are also techy and nerdy. I also am sure that you're generally better at google than me. When it comes to using google, I seem to be just slightly better than Vinny. Like, I can search for something and not find it. My wife will put in almost the same phrase and get the hit right away. Anyways, I could use some help. Recently, my launch PS4 has decided that it's not going to uphold how rest mode is supposed to work. About every other time that I use rest mode, the following happens when I come back:

1) It gives me a wifi disconnect notice and my downloads have stopped.

2) It tells me that my machine was not shut down properly and my external hard drive needs to be repaired.

3) I repair the hard drive successfully, but I have to go to storage in settings and wait for it to calculate before I can use the games on it.

I have tried researching this, and so far I have tried:

1) Rebuilding the database.

2) Turning off my modem and router and turning it back on.

3) Yelling at my PS4.

4) Moving my external hard drive to the other USB port.

If anyone knows how to fix this issue, that would be fantastic. I'm really missing being able to just stop single player games anywhere and come back to them without leaving my PS4 on all-day.

TheRealTurk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

It's possible that your hard drive is going to sleep/powering down when you set the PS4 in Rest Mode, which could cause issues with your downloads or starting up a suspended game. You can try going to Power Save Settings --> Set USBs to always be on. I'd probably keep the external plugged into one of the front USBs, too.

Not sure if that will be of any help. I generally don't use an external drive for exactly these kinds of reasons - there's too much damn tinkering with the things.

Ginormous76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh, right. I also tried putting USBs to always on, on for 3 hours and off. I did find one person online that said to set it to off, so it powers down the hard drive correctly. That ended up working for a few rest modes and now it doesn't. Also, there are only USB ports on the front, because it's a launch PS4.

I had no issues with using an external hard drive for 4+ years. So, it's weird that it is happening now. My first thought was an OS update screwed it up. I should test rest mode without the hard drive.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Is your TVs HDMI device link maybe giving a signal to shut down because the TV is off? I know HDMI device link can do screwy things...just a thought....not a great thought.

Under the system settings there is an Error History, check that to see if there are weird interruptions or error codes. That log shows both hardware and software errors.

If you think it could be the USB connection to the HDD, you could get serious with the USB socket by spraying electrical contact cleaner in. Maybe, use contact cleaner then blow it out a few times. Also, a new "tight fitting" cable might help too...cheaper than buying a new drive.

Ginormous76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@monkeyking1969: Thanks for the thoughts. They're at least something to try. I did not know about the Error History. I'll definitely give that a look, as well as disabling tv link.

If rest mode ends up working fine without the hard drive attached, I'll try another cable.

Ginormous76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@monkeyking1969: I think you may have solved my problem. I disconnected my external hard drive and was getting the same issue (without the "external hard drive turned off incorrectly" error). I turned off the HDMI device link and stopped getting the error. Will know tomorrow if it works with the hard drive attached.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

@monkeyking1969: I think you may have solved my problem. I disconnected my external hard drive and was getting the same issue (without the "external hard drive turned off incorrectly" error). I turned off the HDMI device link and stopped getting the error. Will know tomorrow if it works with the hard drive attached.

I will be very pleased if that solves it for you. It was a long shot though, best of luck.

Ginormous76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Ginormous76

So far so good. No issues with PS4 since disabling HDMI device link.

Ginormous76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@monkeyking1969: I'm 99% sure you solved it. I have had zero issues and it's been in rest mode a variable amount of time.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.