Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Remedy Entertainment Ltd.

Company »

Remedy Entertainment is a small game development studio based in Espoo, Finland.

Remedy is co-developing FPS game CrossFire 2

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 26

#1  Edited By isomeri

Remedy Entertainment have teamed up with South Korean MMO developer Smilegate, to produce a sequel to the very successful multiplayer FPS CrossFire.

CrossFire is a massively successful multiplayer FPS game in Asia, being the "world's top-grossing online game" in 2014 according to KoreaHerald. The game was released in 2007 and is pretty much CS 1.6. There's also a CrossFire movie currently in development.

CrossFire, an inexplicably successful generic FPS
    CrossFire, an inexplicably successful generic FPS

Smilegate recently secured a 500 million dollar investment from publisher The9 to acquire Chinese publishing rights for CrossFire 2. Remedy will be tasked with creating a single-player campaign for the game, while Smilegate focuses on the multiplayer portion.

There's still no news whether CrossFire 2 is one of the two games currently under development at Remedy, or if this is an additional side project.

I just hope there's going to be an in-game TV show.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By ArtisanBreads

Hmmmm.... weird to see Remedy doing something like this. But like you say, with an in game TV show maybe this generic shooter will come alive.

BTW I think I just "liked" your tweet on there lol.

bicycleham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Quantum Break must've really tanked.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@xolare said:

You may be right, but I don't think Alan Wake was so big either. I think there's also legit big money being thrown at them to make this so I don't know how much you can read into it. It's probably a smart business move for them.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

YOU'LL GET CAUGHT UP IN THE...

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

Giant_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't you think that the reason Cross Fire is successful, is because it is "Counter Strike Korea"?!

Don't get me wrong, a lot of people like to support their countries' products, in fact a lot of PR employees have tried to used this same reason to force their garbage products into our homes.

This doesn't look promising for a worldwide project.

hans_maulwurf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By hans_maulwurf

The story of T.K. Bang. Good on them, I guess, whatever keeps them afloat.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#9  Edited By isomeri

Having had a few hours to ponder over this, I actually think it's a win-win for all sides. For Remedy, it should be an easy way to fund whatever other projects they're working on and get some notoriety in the Asian market at the same time. For Smilegate on the other hand, the Remedy name will draw eyes towards CrossFire 2 in the Western markets. I mean I don't think that before this we'd have even known the game existed, but there's a pretty good chance that the game will now be published in Europe and North America.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

bicycleham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xolare said:

You may be right, but I don't think Alan Wake was so big either. I think there's also legit big money being thrown at them to make this so I don't know how much you can read into it. It's probably a smart business move for them.

Really sucks since I'm pretty sure Alan Wake definitely has a cult following along with Max Payne. I'm not even sure if something like this would even matter in a game like Crossfire since, to my knowledge, Crossfire is literally a Counter-Strike clone played in Chinese net-cafes. I'm pretty sure it's the same game that was called out for having a map that has the exact layout of de_dust2.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why did this game ever become so big? Is it like a nationalistic thing? Like hey , we put THE korean counterstrike in PC bangs all over the country? Or is it genuinely a good game? Easier to pirate? Plays well on lower specced systems?

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not sure how it's inexplicable, it's CS1.6 pretty much. If SCBW could last that long there I'm not surprised a varient of CS wouldn't

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xolare: Yeah I agree it's really fucking odd. You'd have to imagine with this money the sequel will be way different but still it's odd.

Yeah I don't really know how well Max Payne did for them either. I remember 2 was a disappointment I believe (which is a joke to me as I think it's one of the best games ever made). They do not seem to make real hits so I don't know how well they are doing or how they get along.

e30bmw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why did this game ever become so big? Is it like a nationalistic thing? Like hey , we put THE korean counterstrike in PC bangs all over the country? Or is it genuinely a good game? Easier to pirate? Plays well on lower specced systems?

I'm pretty sure it's just that its F2P CS. I don't know all the reasons, but that's always seemed to be the reason it got so big.

bicycleham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's free with a shit ton of microtransactions. It's incredibly big in Chinese internet cafes for the sole fact that it's free and it's a literal carbon copy of CS 1.6.

Sdoots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 7

When I tried Crossfire, I was able to run and gun non-stop, spraying bullets in the general direction of enemies and getting kills. I don't remember CS 1.6 being like that at all.

Whatever makes money, I suppose.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.