Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Missing: J.J. Macfield and the Island of Memories

Game » consists of 1 releases. Released Oct 11, 2018

A puzzle-platformer directed by Hidetaka "Swery" Suehiro. Using her injuries to move forward, a girl chases after her missing friend.

Man, where have I felt like this before?

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I love every weird thing about this game but the controls, movement, and overall "feel" are driving me absolutely insane. Swery still rules, but I wish I enjoyed playing his games more.

I know there was another thread for this (or at least I thought that there was) but I could't find it. Anyone else pick it up? Thoughts? I will definitely finish it because I'm too intrigued to put it down, but man, some parts (one involving owls) is annoying the SHIT out of me.

Avatar image for shivermetimbers
    shivermetimbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

I'm totally gonna give this game a shot.

Avatar image for deactivated-6496404854aee
    deactivated-6496404854aee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Agreed, the controls drove me absolutely NUTS but I think it was worth it for the overall story. Everything is tied together beautifully at the end. Even with all of the gameplay issues, it might be my GOTY just because of how well it handled sensitive topics.

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@psigmon: Based on the number of donuts I have, I would suspect that I'm somewhere near the midway point and you aren't kidding: the story is SO good. The writing, especially the text messages, are so pitch perfect.

Superharman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 20

It's a really amazing and touching story.

I found the controls to be a little frustrating at times where precision was required, but nothing really frustrated me. What kind of annoyed me was the fact you can increase the movement speed after you finish it (to make the item mop up quicker) and man is that a better experience even if it likely breaks the game during chase sequences.

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superharman:I feel like I was probably a little harsh, just because they feel sluggish and early on the black owl part I mentioned forced me to have to repeat shit twice because I was bad at it and the lack of checkpointing really just made me feel like it exemplified the bad controls. After that point, it admittedly got better for (also as i got more adjusted to the expectations of the gameplay, if that makes sense).

@emfromthesea: Love the beginning of your post and not touching the spoiler part with a ten foot poll right now haha! I wish more people had it on their radar. I'd guess it's probably a little expensive for some people's taste, sadly.

Swery's obvious love of Twin Peaks is just so much right in my wheel house. Or just his willingness to tell real stories in a bizarre way, I guess would be a better way of putting it. I knew I was in for a solid ride the very first time the deer become relevant (trying hard to not be spoilery myself).

imhungry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

I just finished playing this. What an amazing thing this is, there really isn't anybody who makes games the way that Swery does. Parts of the game really just highlighted how subpar the controls felt but what an incredibly touching story.

I don't really have the necessary experience to speak to the specific targeted theme but it feels like it was handled pretty well(?) and really just told a deeply human, heartfelt story. Definitely found myself relating to some of the broader themes in the narrative, and what an amazing package of having the gameplay (controls notwithstanding), visual and sound design, and the narrative all just link up in a fantastic way. Made any small frustration I might have had playing through it totally worth it by the end. So glad I decided to pick this up.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.