Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Aqua Kitty: Milk Mine Defender

Game » consists of 6 releases.

Protect kitten miners and their undersea milk drilling operation in this Defender-like shooter.

It's like Defender but with Cats

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
    deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

So I know this game come out a while back on other patforms (Vita/Xbox) but this curious little game popped up on steam and I decided to launch the store page for it. Given the title I was expecting some sort of half baked casual iOS port with a kitty gimmick but imagine my surprise when not only did this game appear to be an Amiga inspired schmup it was also a critically acclaimed Amiga inspired schmup.

So I bought it, on an impulse after looking at the forums and making sure all was above board, and 1 hour in so far I can confirm that this is challenging but immensely satisfying game with a real 'just one more go' mentality to it.

As for the game, I believe the are 25 levels (which don't vary much in setting but as you progress your gun gets better and the game ramps up in difficulty) and you fight waves. Your goal? Is to help protect the kittens trying to mine milk from the ocean whilst Jellyfish try to capture them and fly away whilst other fish try to kill you. It's Defender inspired without a doubt with the looping game screen and map showing you where the kittens you must protect are, the enemies are, and the Jellyfish are. After that the is also an incredibly challenging endless mode for high scores.

It's frickin awesome and I highly recommend it to anyone into old skoll schmups.

Anyone else got it? Considering it's been released twice before I'm kind surprised to only see no threads previously posted on it.

No Caption Provided
    crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

mmmm looks nice. Robot fish, cats with eyepatches. I dig this

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

Its in my wish-list I'll wait until the day its like $2 on a steam sale.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

gtfo Resogun

(I loved Resogun so now I'm interested in this)

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By hatking

It's also on Xbox Indies for pretty cheap. Can't remember the exact price. I didn't even know it was released elsewhere.

I think it has a nice look, and some nice ideas, but I kind of felt like I saw what it had to offer relatively quickly. It could have gotten a lot out of some simple progression or some sort of economy. You even earn money, but then there's nothing to spend it on. The gameplay isn't fascinating enough to really prop up the entire product without any sort of background mechanics at work.

Unless the PC version is different.

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
    deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@hatking said:

It's also on Xbox Indies for pretty cheap. Can't remember the exact price. I didn't even know it was released elsewhere.

I think it has a nice look, and some nice ideas, but I kind of felt like I saw what it had to offer relatively quickly. It could have gotten a lot out of some simple progression or some sort of economy. You even earn money, but then there's nothing to spend it on. The gameplay isn't fascinating enough to really prop up the entire product without any sort of background mechanics at work.

Unless the PC version is different.

These are the changes on the PC version (looking at Steam)

PC version is the most feature rich and improves on the XBox one with new Weapons + Gradius style Arcade mode + yet further refinements and extra details (with the Steam version being unique in having online leaderboards and achievements).

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.