Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Assassin's Creed Origins

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Oct 27, 2017

Assassin's Creed Origins is an action-adventure RPG video game developed by Ubisoft Montreal and published by Ubisoft. It is the tenth major installment in the Assassin's Creed series and the successor to 2015's Assassin's Creed Syndicate.

Really struggling with the combat

fetterdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 22

I'm not certain why, but I'm having a real hard time getting a handle on the new combat mechanics in AC: Origins. I'm especially bad at using the shield and it seems like I'm constantly finding myself running away from enemies during conflict, waiting for my health to recharge.

Does anyone have any useful tips?

Avatar image for deactivated-6204297b0c601
    deactivated-6204297b0c601

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

I also had trouble for a while, but I think it's clicked now. Here's what I did: set the difficulty down to easy for a few hours so you can get used to the mechanics without dying constantly. Experiment with weapon types to see if there's one that feels better - early on, I found staffs and dual swords to be easier, because they're quicker. I think dodge is a better early game move than the shield block, but you might need to dodge two or three times to avoid bigger attacks. Also, I tend to not bother using the lock-on, because it just makes things more complicated in combat.

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
    deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

The two tricks that has helped me most during combat is:

1. Using the shield while locked-on to an enemy causes you to face that enemy while locked-on.

2. Using the roll move to get behind enemies and striking them from behind, these attacks deal extra damage and the enemy can't block them.

MattGiersoni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By MattGiersoni

I love the combat in Origins, I'm on PS4 so I'll be writing using their buttom prompts, should be the same on other platforms.

Here's some tips: Lock on and switch targets with the right stick. Unlock the ability to have 2 sets of weapons so you can switch during combat. (It's pretty early in the tree, separate for bows and melee). Different weapons have different speeds, so you might find using something ultra fast like dual blades more comfy than a huge slow axe. Dodging of course is crucial.

Also remember that you have your super ability (hold r1+r2 on PS4). There's also a skill early in the tree that makes you start with half of the super bar already filled up. Depending on the weapon the super will either be a powerful charge or kinda time speed up where enemies won't be able to generally block and you can do big combos.

If you can't find better gear, upgrade it at the blacksmith. Strong attack (R2) breaks an enemy's shield stance, your shield can block arrows so keep it up near archers. Scouting the battle with Senu, your bird also helps. You can stealthily eliminate some enemies with your bow or with takedowns and then take care of the rest once you're seen. If you're running out of health super quickly, upgrade it, the first few upgrades take very little resources and are easily aquired by hunting animals which senu can also mark. It'll take you max 30 minutes to upgrade it 5 times and you'll get a way bigger bar this way. The upgrade is in the inventory section at the bottom, I think it's the breastplate. Hope that helps!

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Purchase the charged heavy attack skill as soon as possible, you can charge while holding your shield and moving about and most enemies can't deal with that. The parry timing for the shield also has a very generous window and works against basically any attack so spend a little time practicing it on common enemies.

It took a few hours to click for me as well and I think it was because I was still trying to play it similar to other AC combat systems and that just wasn't working. The mindset I settled on was 'fight everything as though it was something you had overleveled in Dark Souls'.

Catdaddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Catdaddy

Took me a bit as well, definitely unlock the two weapon ability, I have one fast weapon and one slow blunt weapon. I was having issues with soldiers with shields until I blasted one with a mace and damaged him, since then it’s gotten much better and way more fun. I don’t have one at level yet but the curved “sickle” blades supposedly will hook and turn shield bearers leaving them exposed. Haven’t tried it but read that was how it was designed.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also if you can clear the space don't forget how overpowered your bow is, you can delete most enemies at any time with a headshot. You just need to make a little room.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ed7db3f7c897
    deactivated-5ed7db3f7c897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just hit level 20 and I'm only getting the hang of it now.Like the guys above said unlock some of the upgrades.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you want easy mode, then get the full super on combat asap and use it combined with any of the buff weapon types. In my experience Scythe Swords work the best as it also buffs your damage output, allowing you to murder everything except heavy shield guys with ease.

Outside of that it's important to remember that this is a game where you don't have an ultimate defensive ability that allows you to never take damage. Enemies will hit you and, unlike earlier games, there's a bunch of ranged enemies constantly shooting at you as well. The trick is to stay on the move, only going into striking range when you feel it's safe to land hits.

Also, don't take on large groups, like you're used to from earlier titles. Most of the game already limits most encounters to 2-4 enemies, but you can easily get in some real trouble if you're not paying attention. And finally if you find yourself overwhelmed it's not that hard to reset the fight. Just run around some corners or climb a wall or two then duck down in some grass.

Howardian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thankfully, the combat clicked with me immediately. I play it exactly as I played Witcher 3.

First, dodge-your-way to all the archers and slay them because they will annihilate you from a distance. Don't run to them, dodge towards them. Dodging is the ONLY acceptable method of movement in combat, there's no walking or running, only dodge-moving.

Then during swordplay, you're gonna want to dodge away exactly when an enemy is about to strike, then dodge BACK at them from behind to slash them. Sometimes to take a break from dodging you can, instead, raise up your shield when about to get hit.

Sometimes I'll escape a fight to run up a wall, turn around, and shoot a couple of guys with the bow.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.