Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Assassin's Creed

Franchise »

The Assassin's Creed franchise follows the never-ending, secret war between the Assassin Brotherhood and the Templar Order, in various historical settings, told from the perspective of the modern day.

Craving Assassin's Creed

TokyoShoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By TokyoShoe

I never played Assassin's Creed 1 when it came out, and had planned on grabbed both it and #2 for Christmas sales in order to play then. Then AC:Brotherhood comes out and further cements the fact that I REALLY need to play this series of games. The cultural zeitgeist surrounding them has now swelled to such proportions that I either need to get in on things now, or miss out forever. Do I NEED to play #1, or can I skip that and go straight for #2?

TokyoShoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By TokyoShoe

I never played Assassin's Creed 1 when it came out, and had planned on grabbed both it and #2 for Christmas sales in order to play then. Then AC:Brotherhood comes out and further cements the fact that I REALLY need to play this series of games. The cultural zeitgeist surrounding them has now swelled to such proportions that I either need to get in on things now, or miss out forever. Do I NEED to play #1, or can I skip that and go straight for #2?

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Jack268

You can skip it, the gameplay is pretty bad compared to 2 and it's a new ancestor story in 2 which is the story I care most about. That said, I'd still burn through 1 first, you can probably do it in a weekend or so.

Arbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Arbie

AC is good but if you've just played Brotherhood the only one that directly links to it is AC2. But if you see AC for cheap I'd purchase it anyway. =]

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Jimbo

I think you should start with AC 1, because it's awesome.

yinstarrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By yinstarrunner

AC 1 is TERRIBLE.  It's got some good ideas but the game is marred by unholy amounts of repetition.

AC 1 is so bad that it completely killed interest in me for the whole series.   Even though everyone says AC2 is better, I can't actually bring myself to play it.

gamb1t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By gamb1t

I tried giving AC a chance a week ago. I couldnt go past 3 hours of play cause it was god awful.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By toowalrus

You defiantly CAN skip right to 2...

BUT, I was in an identical situation to yours, after hearing so much good stuff about Brotherhood, I went out and bought AC 1 & 2 (for about $40 bucks total).

I loved AC1. It was a cool start to the story, and I liked the ending. It's really neat to see such a big cliffhanger, and know that you don't have to wait two years to see the continuation.

It does get repetitive, there are 9 targets, and every one has you first pickpocket, interrogate, or eavesdrop on civilians before assassinating the target. That didn't bug me as much as it did most people, and I easily beat the game in two days, and I'm glad I did.

I beat AC2 just the other day, and can't wait to jump right into Brotherhood... but I've got finals comming up this week, and I know if I go out and buy it, I'll never get anything done.

Nasos100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By Nasos100
    @TokyoShoe: yea you should start with AC1. Its not nearly as good as 2 but the story is worth it.
    jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 13

#9  Edited By jeanluc  Staff

I really like AC1. However AC2 made so many improvements that its hard to recommend playing the first one now.

owl_of_minerva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By owl_of_minerva

No, you absolutely shouldn't skip. AC1 is mechanically flawed, but it still has great writing and to understand the story as a whole you need to play them all. No way around it.

themangalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By themangalist

WUT. 

I enjoyed AC1 so much more than AC2. If you just want to follow-up on the story, then just go to AC2, because you don't really NEED to know what Altair went through. But the franchise has always been about visiting historic periods, and I thought the crusades was a great setting for a game like this. Plus, the game was made to be pure simple, sticks to its logic, and makes you feel like you're mastering your skillset at a manageable pace.

And people, stop saying AC1 had terrible gameplay. AC2 tries so hard to vary in gameplay and became a huge clusterfuck of underwhelming and unnecessary features.

TokyoShoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By TokyoShoe

Thanks for all the suggestions. Think I'll watch some Steam sales, see if maybe I can catch AC1 and AC2 both on sale, grab them both and give them a play through. I already knew (based upon comments on AC2 here on Giant Bomb about improvements it had over AC1) that AC1 has fairly bad gameplay in comparison to the rest of the series. I'm more interested in the storyline for the whole franchise, and am more than willing to overlook some bad gameplay because of it. I just didn't know if AC1 story actually tied into AC2 and the rest or not, but from the sounds of it.. it's still of interest to go through.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By Dany

ACI on deployability is just terrible, the ideas are there It is a great job in cementing the reality and the structure of everything but 2 just fixes so much of everything. THe story in 1 was simply told terribly. Long ass pretentious conversations, ugh

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.