Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Astroneer

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Dec 16, 2016

Build and survive on procedural planets in this space exploration game from indie developer System Era Softworks.

Pre-Alpha, but pretty fun!

revolve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So, I don't know if anyone else is playing this game, probably because of the pre-alpha status(My copy was gifted to me by one of my awesome friends), but I'm having nothin' but fun with this game. It's pretty relaxing, being that death isn't really all that big of a deal(You respawn real quick, and AFAIK, your body/stuff doesn't despawn), and the music is really fitting, being some ambient instrumental stuff that really sets the mood.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I played for 30 mins but wasn't really feeling it much. Mainly bought it because of the art style. What should you be trying to do at the start? I could find very little Resin to build things that seemed important. All I got was a Research thing. And I built a bunch of tethers but was not having much luck finding resources.

revolve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

First thing you should be doin is finding compound, in order to build tethers, which are quite literally your lifeline. Research is usually the first thing I go for, then I go huntin' for a cave, since that's where most of the good minerals/elements are. Also, make sure you build a solar panel for your guy, and also a few to put on your base.

ikwal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I bought it and immediately regretted it. Played for about half an hour and has never been so bored with a game in my entire life. Has a nice look to it though.

mrflibble

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I've played about 3 hours of this game and have been enjoying it, though it is buggy. The game has a nice look and I like exploring and expanding my base. I've unlocked a truck that lets me travel pretty far now. The game kinda feels like the movie the Martian to me.

cristianarg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i just checked and... i played 10hs since friday :S. Time flys with this game.

No Caption Provided
    nnickers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've never played this style of fun before: is it any fun playing on your own? I don't have any friends on Steam and multiplayer has always seemed like the biggest draw of these games, at least from the outside. Unless it's public matchmaking/server lists or something like that?

cristianarg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By cristianarg

Doesn't have matchmaking/ server list at the moment. Im playing it alone and it's fine for me. Im having fun discovering and exploring the planets.

freetacos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Controls are pretty wonky on the xbox, much better on the PC

Pretty fun so far, I played it with a few buddies and we'll see where this goes

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Capum15

A couple of friends and I got it on the X1 and had a blast with it. Sadly it seems like it's a lag-hell for the host at the moment (it was fine for the host with 2 people, but once the third and fourth joined the frames went to pants and it got worse the longer it went and the more stuff we made) but hopefully that'll be fixed. I made a car and drove it for about a minute before one of them managed to somehow launch it into the sky and get it stuck up there. We kept trying to build up to it and kept falling and dying, but it was pretty funny.

Oxygen depletes way too fast for my tastes though. Also only the host was able to put down tethers (the rest of us could, but they were broken and wouldn't connect) so that kinda hampered a lot of exploration, though it did make us work together a lot more than we would've otherwise. Still, early-access, so bugs and stuff are a given.

We definitely had fun with it and look forward to it updating. Not sure if I would recommend it solo just yet.

Edit: Also the box storms are centered on the host and are hilarious to watch from a distance, and hear everyone else panic.

ToxicAntidote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Pre-alpha refers to all activities performed during the software project before formal testing. These activities can include requirements analysis, software design, software development, and unit testing. In typical open source development, there are several types of pre-alpha versions. Milestone versions include specific sets of functions and are released as soon as the functionality is complete.

Rigas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mythdark said:

Pre-alpha refers to all activities performed during the software project before formal testing. These activities can include requirements analysis, software design, software development, and unit testing. In typical open source development, there are several types of pre-alpha versions. Milestone versions include specific sets of functions and are released as soon as the functionality is complete.

Alpha, Beta, Test, Pre-Release, Post-Release, Up, Down, Black, White. All these words don't really mean anything anymore except the game isn't out yet and you should expect bugs and missing things.

hach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I initially was quite disappointed when I played this but it was because I couldn't find any resin, as soon as I found some and I was actually able to build stuff it became way more addictive and fun. I can imagine that the fun will sort of stop once you've built everything you can in the game up to this point but until then it seems really great.

No Caption Provided

I really like digging out little storage caves to put all my stuff in, the deformation stuff in this game really is half the fun

cristianarg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think yesterday i got to the center of a planet. I can't dig anymore because my dude wont fall to the ground it's like there's no gravity (just like rorie said in the first unfinished).

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think I'll wait for a finished product. No point in playing an unfinished experience for me.

jta04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By jta04

@arielarg: How are you building so many expansions to your base? I built 4 different bays and wasn't able how to figure out how to expand the base any further.

guanophobic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

pre-alpha? sigh, I fucking give up.

cristianarg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By cristianarg

@jta04: Instead of spending the two just click in the cable that follows you and it will span and create a place to put two "modules"(you can put big a solar panel or a big battery, etc).

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

jta04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arielarg: Thanks! Looks like I'll have to start a new save file as I can no longer expand my base.

JohnLocke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am curious, in the Quick Look Brad said there are no achievements for this game on the Xbox/Windows store version, is this due to it being early access or will it not have them at all?

All what I have seen from the team, this looks super promising as a game, I hope they can add more to it to keep it interesting. I am not sure what that would look like (i.e. what they need to add for that), as it seems No Mans Sky has criticism of once you have explored a few planets, it becomes kind of samey, I don't want this game to go that route as the basic concept looks super interesting to me, just worried about the legs of the game long term. That said, I really am excited to try this in the future.

sgtsphynx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 32

#21  Edited By sgtsphynx  Moderator

I enjoy this game but I do have one complaint; driving the truck does not feel good. Thing flips like it's weightless, drives sideways almost constantly, and good luck trying to get it to go where you want it to.

MikeLemmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 2

#22  Edited By MikeLemmer

I was disappointed. I tried it when it first came out; the framerate on the menu was fine but it plummeted to 2 frames a minute with weird audio glitching the moment I touched down. I got it refunded after 15 minutes of fiddling with it; I saw several performance patches came out for it immediately after I returned it, but I'm iffy about buying it again only to (possibly) have the exact same thing happen.

EDIT: Ah, screw it. I'll try it again; I'm gonna spend more than $20 this Steam sale anyway, not like I'll have that money burning a hole in my pocket.

gram1124

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i thoroughly enjoyed this game but i've clipped through the ground and died more times than i can count. the other day i swore i would never play again after my triple length rover clipped through a mountain and got lost somewhere in an underground cave

Vanquish7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Vanquish7

Controls on XB1 are awful. The game is unplayable.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.