Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Avernum: Escape from the Pit

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Dec 12, 2011

Avernum: Escape From the Pit is the first chapter in an Indie fantasy role-playing saga, the tale of desperate exiles and their battle for survival and a land to call their own.

Pleasantly surprised about Avernum: Escape from the Pit

fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

#1  Edited By fox01313

Not sure who else on GB have tried this gem out but picked it up during the steam sale without a lot of knowledge on it. Turns out that if you like Legend of Grimrock, mixed with a Diablo style of camera on a turn based fantasy RPG, you get this version of Avernum. There's a few previous ones made by the same studio but looking at what's on steam this has the most polish to it. Even on the easier settings it's rather tough at times so it's better to save often & before opening a door. After reloading (upon seeing the enemies inside unless you can just stomp them) the game the best thing I found was to put the melee people on each side of the door & have ranged people behind so anything inside to at least take a few out without getting mowed down. Only real flaw I've seen early on is that when you get to the towns that teach spells for the priest/mage, it's hard to tell how much skill in an ability you need in order to learn something (and my many wasted trips going back to this town for finding this out). Junk inventory bag is nice to just dump all the loot in while keeping your gear separate though I keep hitting 'i' to expect the inventory to close with the same key it opens. One last tip for those wanting to dive into this inexpensive gem, press inventory often, as there's items nearby or on the ground that will show up (similar to the original X-Com) as something to pick up but will not be automatically collected. Luckily the game makes many of these items stand out from the ground/tables so a keen eye will see these or the red brick button for secret doors.

edit-turns out I'm a fool with the spell upgrades in this game, as the fighter is up front in lead of the party naturally they wouldn't have any spells to learn. Pick the mage/priest first then just buy the spells you want. Since the stealing is harsher in the game but items aren't marked as long as you get them you can have a lot more money just waiting for people to get out of view (though again save first to make sure you don't get caught).

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 16

#2  Edited By Dagbiker

I played a lot of Exile III. Avernum: Escape from the Pit is a updated version of Avernum, which is an updated version of Exile. I loved Exile III, because for one, you could do so much. They dumbed it down for the other releases and I could never get that same kind of excitement again. Exile III was the only game I ever stayed up all night to play. I also had a 3 ringed binder, still have it, with all the quests, prices of items, and crap like that. Because in Exile there wasn't a journal.

Loafsmooch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Loafsmooch

Yeah I picked up that game recently aswell. Having good fun with it, really solid RPG with tactical combat. Just wish the interface was a bit "smarter", like you said about not being able to close the inventory with the inventory key :| Also it feels like the music doesn't loop enough, it's too quiet sometimes. But those two things are really my only problems with the game.

Btw Escape from the pit is actually the first game in the series, redone with better graphics. I'll probably continue with the rest when I've finished it.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By eroticfishcake

Having played the rest of the games in the series I can assure you the rest of them are very similar. They don't innovate on much but overall it's a really solid series with enjoyable writing. I don't recommend that you blow through them all though considering that. Anyway, from what I can tell they're touching up the rest of the games in the series (mostly graphical) so if you want to get the other ones it might be a good idea to wait first.

Also, if you're new to the series it's worth noting that they've got a (very substantial) demo worth checking out for all of their games.

fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#5  Edited By fox01313

@eroticfishcake: It looked like that when I got this on the steam summer sale as I had the previous ones on the wishlist too (with one only able to be bought through the bundle package), at some point I just picked the most polished & happy about it. Though if the previous 3 are as solid as this I might have to pick them up at a later date, thanks for the info.

edit-tip for all: recently found out that if you see a yellow cluster of mushrooms on an outdoor wall = secret door. good luck.

Oullie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By Oullie

I haven't gotten a chance to play the newer games. I did play a lot of Exile though. I remember going into the game's sprites and changing the color of characters pants and stuff. Being really young at the time, I'm surprised I had fun doing that. The games themselves were fun and I recall being oddly addicted.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.