Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Backwards Compatibility

Concept »

Backwards Compatibility is a feature in console gaming that allows a console to play the games and use the hardware of its previous iterations. Some games are also designed from the ground up to be played in more than one console.

Angry Sony Fan: Backwards Compatibility This!

AleeN634

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 23

Edited By AleeN634
    Oh SCEA, what are you doing to me!
    So remember about 3 years ago when the PlayStation 3 and the Xbox 360 were waging war over how backwards compatibility was so important to them this generation? Sony dissed Microsoft over their lack of 'complete' backwards compatibility since the original launch PS3s could play both PS2 and PS1 games.

Well let's fast forward to the year 2009. Microsoft gave up on backwards compatibility of more Xbox games sometime in late 2007 and Sony gave up on backwards compatibility of PS2 games around late 2007 as well with the launch of the 40 gig PS3. Well since then, the Nintendo Wii has been enjoying perfect compatibility (well since its 2 Gamecubes slapped together) and a 'healthy' Virtual Console collection. Microsoft introduced the Xbox Originals program which allowed users to download Xbox games to their hard drives. The last game released being Grabbed of Ghoulies in Feb. 2009.  Sony introduced PS1 games to PSN. Now for their part Sony has done a decent job in getting keeping PS1 games working well on both the PSP and the PS3. But Sony, dear SCEA, hasn't released a PSOne game since Dec. 23, 2008.  While Japan enjoys PS1 games including big hits like Metal Gear Solid and Final Fantasy 7, America hasn't gotten a single game since.

Now mind you we're in 2009 and a lot has changed. This generation of games are finally shaping up and last generation consoles are finally dying/dead (well maybe except PS2 which is being dragged kicking and screaming into its hopefully final year). I don't blame Sony over the fact that PS2 compatibility was removed, no matter how a bongeheaded decision it was, rather I blame them for their lack of effort on getting true PSOne classics released.

Microsoft did the smartest thing they could think of when the Xbox 360 came out when they (although they never admitted it) dropped support for the original Xbox. Nintendo tried a very different strategy in targeting fans being the first company to regularly release classic games via their download service and having full backwards compatibility support. Sony on the other hand, much like their PS3 strategy, remains a tangled mess with the dropping PS2 support a year into the console's life.
    Now I'm sure backwards compatibility only really matters to a small amount of people but still the fact that a feature exists and hardcore gamers want to use it should say something to you. Not everyone wants to throw out their collection everytime they switch game console generations (although rumors persist of their super PS2 emulator is coming for the PS3). Then having a dodgy release schedule of PS1 content is like having an encyclopedia where the majority of the entires are blank. While Europe is enjoying Silent Hill (since removed due to compatibility issues) and Japan gets FF7, America hasn't seen a gane all year. I cannot wait until next generation to see how each company deals with these vast libraries of downloadable content (including add-ons) will be handled (some people I know have a ton of Rock Band DLC songs that could be rendered useless next generation).

Well I can hope and  pray that Sony fixes the situation later in the year but then again this is the same company that released PSP version of the PSN store that is laughably stocked with content if the sun, moon and stars are aligned correctly. Oh SCEA, why do you hit me so yet I keep returning? Oh yeah... it's because my 360 died 2 f-ing times...

*I found this handy chart on the Neogaf forums and all credit to the person who created it.
    AleeN634

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 23

#1  Edited By AleeN634
    Oh SCEA, what are you doing to me!
    So remember about 3 years ago when the PlayStation 3 and the Xbox 360 were waging war over how backwards compatibility was so important to them this generation? Sony dissed Microsoft over their lack of 'complete' backwards compatibility since the original launch PS3s could play both PS2 and PS1 games.

Well let's fast forward to the year 2009. Microsoft gave up on backwards compatibility of more Xbox games sometime in late 2007 and Sony gave up on backwards compatibility of PS2 games around late 2007 as well with the launch of the 40 gig PS3. Well since then, the Nintendo Wii has been enjoying perfect compatibility (well since its 2 Gamecubes slapped together) and a 'healthy' Virtual Console collection. Microsoft introduced the Xbox Originals program which allowed users to download Xbox games to their hard drives. The last game released being Grabbed of Ghoulies in Feb. 2009.  Sony introduced PS1 games to PSN. Now for their part Sony has done a decent job in getting keeping PS1 games working well on both the PSP and the PS3. But Sony, dear SCEA, hasn't released a PSOne game since Dec. 23, 2008.  While Japan enjoys PS1 games including big hits like Metal Gear Solid and Final Fantasy 7, America hasn't gotten a single game since.

Now mind you we're in 2009 and a lot has changed. This generation of games are finally shaping up and last generation consoles are finally dying/dead (well maybe except PS2 which is being dragged kicking and screaming into its hopefully final year). I don't blame Sony over the fact that PS2 compatibility was removed, no matter how a bongeheaded decision it was, rather I blame them for their lack of effort on getting true PSOne classics released.

Microsoft did the smartest thing they could think of when the Xbox 360 came out when they (although they never admitted it) dropped support for the original Xbox. Nintendo tried a very different strategy in targeting fans being the first company to regularly release classic games via their download service and having full backwards compatibility support. Sony on the other hand, much like their PS3 strategy, remains a tangled mess with the dropping PS2 support a year into the console's life.
    Now I'm sure backwards compatibility only really matters to a small amount of people but still the fact that a feature exists and hardcore gamers want to use it should say something to you. Not everyone wants to throw out their collection everytime they switch game console generations (although rumors persist of their super PS2 emulator is coming for the PS3). Then having a dodgy release schedule of PS1 content is like having an encyclopedia where the majority of the entires are blank. While Europe is enjoying Silent Hill (since removed due to compatibility issues) and Japan gets FF7, America hasn't seen a gane all year. I cannot wait until next generation to see how each company deals with these vast libraries of downloadable content (including add-ons) will be handled (some people I know have a ton of Rock Band DLC songs that could be rendered useless next generation).

Well I can hope and  pray that Sony fixes the situation later in the year but then again this is the same company that released PSP version of the PSN store that is laughably stocked with content if the sun, moon and stars are aligned correctly. Oh SCEA, why do you hit me so yet I keep returning? Oh yeah... it's because my 360 died 2 f-ing times...

*I found this handy chart on the Neogaf forums and all credit to the person who created it.
    darkspirit138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By darkspirit138

well, final fantasy VII is coming, just be patient.

And id bet you tekken 3 would come out when tekken 6 does.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.