Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Baldur's Gate 3

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Aug 03, 2023

An ancient evil has returned to Baldur's Gate, intent on devouring it from the inside out.

For Those Of You Playing Baldur's Gate 3, For Your First Run Did Pick An Origin Or Custom Character?

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

ZombiePie  Staff

Poll For Those Of You Playing Baldur's Gate 3, For Your First Run Did Pick An Origin Or Custom Character? (33 votes)

Origin Character (i.e., Shadowheart, Gale, Astarion, Wyll,Lae'zel, Karlach, and The Dark Urge) 18%
    Custom Character 76%

Baldur's Gate 3 deviates from its predecessors in a handful of regards whether it be its artstyle and aesthetical choices or decision to stick with Larian's turn-based combat. However, one particular point of differentiation is causing a bit of a debate among people playing the game. For your first playthrough should you use an Origin character or your own? For those unaware, the Origin characters are pre-created ones that populate the world of Baldur's Gate 3 when you elect to have your own custom character as your avatar.

I might sound incredibly old school when I say this, but while I find the origin characters interesting, I think picking them prevents you having a voice in your interactions with the world and story. Yes, it is fun having a player character that feels like a real person, but the core appeal of role-playing games for me is the roleplaying potential. Now, I will say I'm most DEFINITELY going to check out The Dark Urge option after I get my feet wet.

On the flip side, in the Early Access there were frequent criticisms of how the Origin characters feeling more embeded in the story and the worldbuilding. Personally, there were times when my custom character felt like a goober while they silently sat in the background while everyone else talked in-depth about major events plaguing the world. Larian has stated that they have attempted to address this issue by making sure the custom characters have a stronger presence but early reviews from players are already coming out calling custom characters silent ciphers which might not be everyone's cup of tea. And when you look at your options, Shadowheart, Gale, Astarion, Wyll,Lae'zel, Karlach, and The Dark Urge, there's no denying that there are some colorful personalities to pick from.

• 
    Broshmosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Broshmosh

I found out today that my PC can, in fact, run Baldur's Gate 3. Now I just need to see if the finances align to let me play it sooner rather than later.

I'll probably be playing an origin character first time around. I like custom characters, but I'm also not averse to playing a pre-gen character be it in videogame or pen and paper; If the pre-gen character has been made by the GM of the game (as it has for BG3), they're usually worth trying out since there'll be synergy with campaign events you won't necessarily see with a custom character.

ALLTheDinos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Honestly, my favorite part of D&D has always been cracking open a new character sheet and building something I’ve never played before. I’ve made many, many more characters than I’ve ended up playing, because figuring out possibility is part of how I enjoy the game. I don’t think I’ll ever end up playing an Origin character, although if there’s a community consensus that one is a must-play, I’ll give it a shot. Just… not with my first one, that’s a custom character for sure.

WulfBane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By WulfBane

My plan is to try a very specific type of character. To be honest, it's not wholly original. Infact, some might call it "Absurd"

-12 classes

-12 levels

Just saying.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am tentatively taking Larian at their word when they say that this time the custom characters will feel a bit more relevant than if you made one in Original Sin 2. So with that in mind I'm making my own character.

The Dark Urge is absolutely my second playthrough candidate though. It seems to have a lot going on but also probably not something I'd appreciate completely blind.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By Justin258

When I first played DOS2, I picked one of the origin characters. I think it was Ifan? I didn't finish the game back then, but I got like halfway through Act 2. When I went back and tried it again, I made a custom character and I remember feeling like I might have robbed myself of something that first time. Ifan is a character, and playing as him and making all his choices and determining all his reactions basically feels like Mass Effect 2, but Shepherd doesn't exist and you're playing the entire game as Garrus instead.

That's roughly what I want to get across, anyway.

I'm not personally interested in steering Gale's or Shadowheart's story my way, I'm interested in making my own character and playing that character and seeing how Gale and Shadowheart and whoever else reacts to that character. For me, designing and playing a character I came up with is much more interesting, both in story and gameplay.

EDIT: Also, The Dark Urge seems to be a response to people who want a character that feels more "GM-guided" but who don't necessarily want to play an origin character. If you're on the fence about this whole thing, that seems to be the way to go.

I have played a bunch of CRPGs over the past few years, BG1 and 2 among them, and if this one lives up to expectations, it will probably see at least one replay from me, so I'll do the Dark Urge thing later.

Avatar image for bladeofcreation
    BladeOfCreation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

I went with a custom character. I assume that I'll try several different characters eventually, including the origin ones.

NickMitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Went with custom character - didn't know that origin characters where voice cast. That doesn't make me regret my choice anyway. There is enough talking as it is.

Saladdodger88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Custom all the way, the adventures of Mike Hunt continue. For me I prefer having my own character that I can roleplay rather than someone else's at least in a D&D.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.