Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Bard's Tale

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Sep 03, 1985

Bard's Tale is a critically acclaimed party-based roleplaying game based loosely on the Dungeons & Dragons rule set, with first-person navigation and text-based combat.

Free Steam copy of Bard's Tale if you backed Wasteland 2!

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By fattony12000

Just got this nice little email from the guys n gals over at inXile!

The holidays are a time of friends, family, and eating yourself into a food coma. It is also a time where friends and family give thoughtful gifts to those that they love. We here at inXile are feeling the holiday spirit, and we can’t think of anyone we love more than the 63,000 of you that backed Wasteland 2. So that settles it; inXile wants to give all of our backers a great gift this holiday season. Since we are all out of fruitcake and snickerdoodles, we decided the best gift we could give you all was a FREE copy of The Bard’s Tale. You read that right; all of you backers who log into the Ranger Center web portal between now and the end of the year will be able to get a code that will let you download your very own copy of The Bard’s Tale from our friends at Steam.

“What is The Bard’s Tale?” you ask. Good question. Let me tell you. The Bard’s Tale was inXile’s first game (published 2004), and it is a reimagining of the original Bard’s Tale series created by Brian Fargo and Interplay in the mid 1980s. Our remake is a much lighter action RPG than the original, and it is considered by many to be one of the funniest games ever made. The Bard, who is voiced by The Princess Bride’s Cary Elwes, is a sarcastic, reluctant hero who has little interest in saving the world unless there is enough profit in it. We try to turn all the classic RPG clichés upside down in this hilarious tribute to the genre we all love.

To download your free copy from Steam, first log into your account at Ranger Center:

Once there, enter your login information or sign up if you were naughty and haven't done so yet. Under the Account tab, you’ll see “A FREE GIFT - The Bard’s Tale” near the bottom. Click “Get Your Free Download Code”. For more instructions on activating a product on steam, click here.

The great guys at Penny Arcade spoke with Brian about this plan. Check it out here:

So far, the response to this program has been fantastic. We have dozens of submissions already from the first batch. Below are a couple of examples of our concept art, and the assets that were created by fans.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

This crowd-sourcing experiment is in its very early stages, but so far we are very impressed with the artwork being delivered.

Thanks again to all of you, our wonderful backers… and have a great holiday!

inXile entertainment

Are any of you duders going to get up on this deal? At this price you'd be crazy not too!

Bard's Tale is a game that I remember the first 5/6 hours of pretty clearly (and fondly!), as I've been through that section about four times, but never followed through. What about yous guys?

<>

Terramagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Terramagi

Hurray, free* shit!

The best kind o' shit!

Forcen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 31

#3  Edited By Forcen

Thanks, I must have skimmed over that part of the email. Would have missed it!

EarlessShrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

#4  Edited By EarlessShrimp

I may already own a copy, but that won't stop me from trying to get another!

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By DeF

@Fattony12000: sweet, I probably would've missed this since I've been letting those update emails just pile up recently so thanks for pointing that out!

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By fattony12000

@Terramagi said:

Hurray, free* shit!

The best kind o' shit!

Hull Yuss!

@Forcen said:

Thanks, I must have skimmed over that part of the email. Would have missed it!

Always be watchful!

@EarlessShrimp said:

I may already own a copy, but that won't stop me from trying to get another!

All be getting.

@DeF said:

@Fattony12000: sweet, I probably would've missed this since I've been letting those update emails just pile up recently so thanks for pointing that out!

No probs duder!

sgtsphynx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 32

#7  Edited By sgtsphynx  Moderator

I need to stop just skimming over those emails.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By MrKlorox

Ah damn, I just bought The Bard's Tale not too long ago for $5 or less. Booted it up and tried to configure it for a controller, but thanks to the 360 controller drivers the triggers can't be used, and it simply wouldn't work at all when using a DirectInput mode PS3 controller. Also it took way too much searching to find the original controller layout, to try and map to, just to not be able to use one. So now it's just sitting in my list waiting for a drunken/rainy day.

Tomkang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Tomkang

That is sweet, I managed to get in on IOS for free as they were having a sale 2 days ago aswell.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#10  Edited By LordAndrew

Spoilers! I haven't read that email yet!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.