Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Bastion

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Jul 20, 2011

Bastion is a story about a Kid, his hammer, and a world gone all kinds of wrong.

Proving Grounds help

gunstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By gunstar

I think most people are gonna be looking for help on getting first place on some of the proving grounds, so I'd just put this here. I personally am looking for help with the Hammer (need to shave 2 seconds off) and the Machete (need to shave TWO MINUTES off)!

If anyone has some general tips they'd like to share on some of the harder ones that'd be great.

yoshimitz707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#2  Edited By yoshimitz707

Yeah, some tips for the hammer would be great. Most of the other proving grounds can be beaten by using the right upgrades, though.

DougQuaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By DougQuaid

For the hammer challenges I used a counter-clockwise route around the room, rolling as much I could and only hammering the stuff I need to. Take a few runs just to take note of what stuff can be destroyed with just an evade roll. 

For the War Machete, I have no fucking clue. Seriously, how the hell are you supposed to that? I'd also appreciate some tips.

Darkecho117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Darkecho117

For the machete go stand in the middle where the green squirts spawn. Kill most of them then fan out and destroy everything else. It took me a while to figure out how easy this one actually is.

gunstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By gunstar

@DougQuaid I started using the roll and that is how I got down to 27 seconds, where is your starting point? 6 o'clock or what?

I tried to upgrade my machete to throw 3 swords at once but I'm still whiffing on these things a lot, maybe the strategy is to kill all of them at the beginning while they're still in the middle and go for the generators/turrets later?

DougQuaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By DougQuaid
    There's like a stack of wood in front of a bigger object (that needs to be hammered) where you initially pick up the hammer. I rolled into that, smacked the bigger thinger, then made my way down to the lower right corner. 

@darkecho117 said:
    For the machete go stand in the middle where the green squirts spawn. Kill most of them then fan out and destroy everything else. It took me a while to figure out how easy this one actually is.
    What's the special attack you get for completing it?
    laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By laserbolts

For the hammer one I roll to 3 o clock and then make my way around the room clockwise. Make sure to roll into the smaller stuff and don't waste your time on the big wagons since there is more than enough items in the room.

amlabella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#8  Edited By amlabella
    @gunstar: Yeah, definitely focus on the middle and kill all those squirts that initially spawn. Then destroy the machines, and make sure to kill those turrets things by throwing your machete, it's a lot quicker than hitting them up close. Then just clear out the rest of the place. Try to be quick and roll towards the remaining squirts, throwing the machete is pretty inaccurate and takes a while. It didn't take me too long to get first prize after I realized to focus on the middle first.
    Bass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By Bass

Is there a good set of upgrades to use for the pistols one? I'm having trouble with it, although I really haven't used the pistols much, so I don't know if there is some kind of trick to it.

Darkecho117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Darkecho117
    @DougQuaid: If I remember correctly you get a special move that shoots out a mirror image of you and damages everything in your path. It does good damage as well.
    amlabella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By amlabella
    @Bass: Is that the one with the dual pistols you're talking about? Where you have to score 750 points for first prize? I'm also having trouble with that, I keep on getting about 720, and it seems like I'm hitting the targets pretty quickly.
    gunstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By gunstar

@amlabella: Yeah i keep getting 730, but I think I have two more upgrade slots left to get for it so I'll just wait a bit.

RafaelMei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By RafaelMei

To me the hardest has been the shield one, I've always been bad at countering in games. The pistol one is also kinda weird, I've been getting 700-720 and seem to be hitting the targets pretty damn fast, already got the upgrade that eliminates the scatter, dunno how to make my run better...

Bass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Bass

@amlabella: Yeah, I guess part of it is that I don't understand how it is scored. Is it based off of how quickly you drop the target completely? In that case I may have to wait until I have the damage fully upgraded.

amlabella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By amlabella
    @Bass: I think it is based on how quickly the target is eliminated. And I think you lose points if you shoot when there isn't a target on screen. But I have both the increased damage and accuracy upgrades and still can't manage to get 750. Maybe it's a bit of a guessing game and you have to start shooting right before the target appears. *shrugs*
    Bladefire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By Bladefire

@gunstar: Upgrades help in that one especially the first one that reduces spread. There are 10 targets total so you need to average 75 points a target. Other than that i would just say try to go as fast as possible, that's probably the hardest in the whole game. Most of the later ones I found fairly easy to get first place.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#17  Edited By natetodamax

@amlabella: If you shoot before there is a target your score decreases. Likewise, when a target appears, the score automatically starts decreasing. The goal is to shoot fast enough to counter that and get to 750. I still haven't been able to do it.

The machete one is real easy though. Just run to the middle and mash on the B button furiously to spawn kill most of the Squirts. When they stop appear, kill the stall things shooting the Squirts out, then get the turrets and the remaining Squirts.

I have no tips for the Hammer one because I've only been able to beat it with luck. You can actually roll and destroy a lot of the debris, if you didn't already know.

kyelb22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By kyelb22
    @amlabella: You actually don't need that many upgrades. It's based on how quickly you kill the target, so if you equip the Werewhiskey and fall of the map until it activates, it only takes about 3-4 shot for each target. Makes this challenge retarded easy.
    Avatar image for the_hiro_abides
    the_hiro_abides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By the_hiro_abides

Doing the pistol challenge is kind of a pain. It is doable but it took me at least 10 tries. Eventually it was more like getting into a zen like state and reacting as fast as possible. Or I memorized the seconds between "Hold Fire" and when they whistle.

I beat it with 751.

Man, wish I thought to use the werewhiskey method. That sounds hella easy.

And as others have said for the machete challenge, kill all the squirts in the middle as they spawn. The machines spawn the kind of squirts that run at you.

amlabella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By amlabella
    @Kyelb22: Thanks for the tip. Just tried it and it worked like a charm.
    Mijati

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#21  Edited By Mijati

For the Bullhead Court - Use the Distillery upgrades such as 33% speed when upgrading and vitally important is 100% damage when counter blocking so it makes some enemies go down in one hit as opposed to two and makes the final monster MUCH easier.

You can also roll into the enemies to damage them so if you're having trouble countering one you can always avoid it and just roll into it to slowly kill it off.

RafaelMei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By RafaelMei

@Kyelb22: The werewhiskey really makes it super easy, thanks for the tip!

DougQuaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By DougQuaid
    @Kyelb22 said: 
    @amlabella: You actually don't need that many upgrades. It's based on how quickly you kill the target, so if you equip the Werewhiskey and fall of the map until it activates, it only takes about 3-4 shot for each target. Makes this challenge retarded easy.
    @DarkDude said:

For the Bullhead Court - Use the Distillery upgrades such as 33% speed when upgrading and vitally important is 100% damage when counter blocking so it makes some enemies go down in one hit as opposed to two and makes the final monster MUCH easier.

You can also roll into the enemies to damage them so if you're having trouble countering one you can always avoid it and just roll into it to slowly kill it off.

Duuuuuuude! Pro-tips!  

Thanks for the advice, duders.
    DoggieStylze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By DoggieStylze

Thanks for the earlier advice. The only trouble I had been having was the gunslinger's and the werewhiskey works like a charm...be careful you arn't using the "health regen when dealing damage potion" however.

The only thing left is the Calamity Cannon in Mancer's Observatory. Is it just me or is this nearly impossible? The aim is hard to use and since they don't bunch up as much as I'd like I end up mostly trying to shoot single targets and failing. (yes, i tried shooting ahead of them)... 100% of the time I have NOT completed even 3rd place because all the conductors get destroyed...restarting... Any tips fellow gamers?

EDIT: 
    Finally Got the Cannon done, and it was much simpler than I thought
    TIP: Keep yourself  between the windbags and the conductors.
              If you roll parallel to the ledge so that your  shot will line up straight on with the approaching windbag(s) it makes it really easy to simply lock-on (LT)  and fire!  Just knocked it out in one swoop with 1st place
    All proving grounds completed Yaa! time for new game plus now :D

defaultprophet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By defaultprophet

I got 750 exactly on Slingers. I went and did the next area and died so I turned off the game. It. Didn't. Save.

I am so mad, so frustrated. Got 749 today. God why didn't it save!

YES! 750 again! God that sucks so bad.

Bass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Bass

@DefaultProphet said:

I got 750 exactly on Slingers. I went and did the next area and died so I turned off the game. It. Didn't. Save.

I am so mad, so frustrated. Got 749 today. God why didn't it save!

use the werewhiskey advice and be joyous.

Fenrisulfr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Fenrisulfr

Cael Hammer - Immediately head for the two boxes that surround the orange object to the SW corner with a roll. From there, roll over anything that you can break with it, only pausing to break up the stuff that stops you. Work in a counter clockwise motion and ignore the towers on the edged. As you work up to the wagon, kill it if you can, don't swing more than twice, and begin working around the outer edge of the easily breakable objects, working into a smaller circle. Think of a counter clockwise cinnamon roll. Remember: don't get hung up, identify the easily broken objects, and go for it fast and hard.

No upgrades needed.

---

Fang Repeater - Shoot, roll and reload, repeat.

No upgrades needed.

---

Breaker's Bow - Pick the rows of 3 balloons. Right before charging, The Kid will blink white, release it then to penetrate the three balloons and kill them in one shot. If you mess up once, try and salvage it with the final lonesome balloon on the bottom. Otherwise, this is quite easy.

No upgrades needed.

---

War Machete - As soon as you pick up the machete, roll up the stairs and into where the Squirts are spawning. Hit B until your finger falls off then hit it again. Don't bother trying to beat up the turrets by swinging at them, instead, like the Breaker's Bow, hold the attack to charge the throw, then throw a charged up shot. This should one shot every turret and fruit stand on the level. As for the ones that get away, run them down and beat the shit out of them. If they're far away, start spamming the throw. How fast you can get tot he center really dictates how well you'll do. I also found it a good idea to roll away to take out the stragglers at the beginning and then quickly rolling back into the fray.

First crippling upgrade may be needed for 1st place.

---

Scrap Musket - Don't pop, push. Choose a side, get close, and start rounding up the balloons. If some get away, and for me they did, just blast them off the side. Get close and fire away and you should be able to push them all off the edges.

No upgrades needed.

---

Dueling Pistols - Fire as soon as you see the flash of the target. Good luck.

I couldn't complete this until I got the pistol's fourth upgrade and sunk everything into damage. That damage is absolutely needed to get that First Place prize. You may also be able to use some forced crit spirits as well. I didn't think about this until later.

---

Brusher's Pike - Only attack the ones that you need to kill, conserve health for the last part and to my knowledge, you MUST have the damage upgrades for this thing. At least level four, and the spirits won't help this time. You need to be able to one shot the vital plants to get first place. Immediatly head to the NW and go around the first plants, attack the ones in your way and covering the switch. Move to the next area, ignore the switch, head NW again, cut down everything in your way, only kill one plant that's shooting over the switch (I picked the top one), hit the switch, head back to the SE, hit the switch, head SE, basically kill everything that shooting in your way, hit the switch, head to the NE platform, DO NOT kill the plant shooting across the switch. Fuck it, take the hit, hit the switch, kill the last one that's shooting across a northern bridge and the last switch will be on that bridge.

Level four attack is needed to my knowledge.

---

Army Carbine - Hold shoot and release when aimed to win. Seriously, that's it. I did it with no upgrades. And remember, every time you hip shoot, god kill a puppy. So don't do it. You're The Kid, not Rambo.

No upgrades needed, may be easier with a faster aim time.

---

Fire Bellows - Roll into the crowds of birds, and then burst fire into the crowds. Kill every bird, 72 in total, to get the first place prize.

No upgrades needed.

---

Galleon Mortar - Target clusters of enemies. That's it.

Faster aiming speed and/or a larger blast radius can help, but I don't think it's necessary.

---

Calamity Cannon - Get ready for the suck. This comes in two parts, and unless you're better than this than I am, couldn't do it any other way. First, get third place, get the third place prize, fully upgrade the cannon, come back, win.

Get the super fast firing enemy seeking rockets.

---

Bullhead Shield - You'll need both shield spirits for this one (33% movement speed and 100% counter damage). The name of the game is countering attack. The turrets are a given, but the rest are a a matter of getting to know when the enemies attack. Most telegraph their attack with a quick movement. Swap between using the left trigger and right stick to defend, especially when more towers drop. As for the Scumbag at the end: block near an edge, then stay in place until it inflates. Roll out of the way and it'll rocket off the edge.

Congrats, you've won the Proving Grounds.

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#28  Edited By Sooperspy

That fucking shield proving ground is BULLSHIT! Took me like 30 tries, because those green ghost things would go through my counter.

gunstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By gunstar

Another tip for the bullhead shield, the turrets that rapid-fire: You will block and deflect the first shot back at them, but the other 3 shots will hit you right in the face if you break the block or are holding a different direction. I suggest using the r-stick for this.

Etaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Etaber

@Kyelb22 said:

Dude! Thank you so much!

maluku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By maluku

I love the shield one, can do that without upgrades in my sleep now :) Took me a few hours to get there though.

simian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#32  Edited By simian

The Calamity Cannon is the worse for me so far. Every other one I got it in 10-15 minutes but I can't even get 3rd with the canon. Such a pain in the arse.

Tips?

YoungFrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#33  Edited By YoungFrey
    @Kyelb22 said:

The Werewhiskey makes it a total cinch.  But make sure you aren't a doof like me and forget to unequip the Leechade. 
    mostman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By mostman

Another tip for the shield one - hide behind the turrets. This will cause one to shoot the other and keep you defended. On the last purple guy, just stand near the edge in the upper left part of the screen. Hold out your shield and let him bash you once. Then as he charges a second time, roll away. He will fly off the edge.

Bass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Bass

@simian: Beat the game once and come back to the challenge fully upgraded with the homing rockets 5th tier upgrade.

DrMario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By DrMario

I found a nice trick for the Brusher's Pike Proving Ground. Use the spirit that gives you +1 Chance and blows everything up when you die. Don't pick up the Pike and commit suicide twice at places where there are a lot of enemies. When you start the challenge now, there are a lot less obstacles.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#37  Edited By Ravenlight

I was able  to beat the Dueling Pistols one without upgrades. They literally fire as fast as you can press the button. If you can get six button-presses in < 1 second, you can beat this one pretty handily. 
    I was using an XBOX controller, BTW. I don't think I could mash my keyboard that fast.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.