Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Batman: Arkham Asylum

Game » consists of 28 releases. Released Aug 25, 2009

Batman: Arkham Asylum puts you behind the cowl of the iconic Dark Knight, fighting his way through Arkham Asylum to stop the Joker from enacting a sinister plot that would have grave consequences for Gotham City.

What do you want in Batman: Arkham Asylum 2 ?

spacetrucking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By spacetrucking

Official Website: http://www.arkhamhasmoved.com/ 

In case you didn't know, the sequel to Batman AA was just announced at Spike's VGA. The trailer shows a less than healthy Joker with Harley Quinn in a ravaged Gotham City and there is no sight of Bats. The setting looks ominously like The Dark Knight movie with a city that is tearing itself apart and all that. I was initially surprised that they announced a sequel so soon, its been less than six months since the first game.But thats the way the video game industry goes.

I liked the exploration part in the first game so I'm looking forward to how Batman gets around an entire city in the second game. Can I say Batmobile ? The combat system was nearly perfect the way it was so I don't expect them to change any of that drastically.

PS: What are the odds that Brad won't be able to play the first game before this one comes out ?

SimpsonFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By SimpsonFan

I want the game to be longer. Less damn riddles. More gadgets. The city exploration does sound awesome.

cap123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By cap123

some more interesting boss fights, there were a couple of duds in the first game, and with the amount of thought that went into the rest of the game it really showed. Poison Ivy, crocodile, joker at the end. Especially joker at the end i guess.

apart from that it was my GOTW, i just hope the new environment is cool. Lot's of atmosphere. One thing i want is more scarecrow!

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By MysteriousBob

I'd like it to be set up like Activisons Spider-Man 2 game with the sandbox world. Have some sort of reputation level that affects your releationship with the authorities (seems like Batman). Just make sure there's plenty of variety in the missons. Even if they were just randomly generated challenge rooms- that would do it for me. The only problem with a sandbox world is travelling between areas in the city seems... odd for Batman. Maybe just have key indoors locations (like Arkham) linked through a menu based on travelling in the Batmobile. The only problem with going where you want it that it takes away from the deliberate pacing- which was AA's strongest suit.

spacetrucking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By spacetrucking
    @MysteriousBob: Well, the Gotham they showed in the trailer looks distinctly barren with only random thugs populating the streets. Its hard to say what the setting will be since the website says Arkham has moved. I can't imagine how because Arkham is an island in the comics with the Asylum facility being just one of the locations. Maybe the fight will be on the entire island this time ? The island was always portrayed with narrow streets and dark alleys so you could be navigating it in the same way Assassin's Creed works with rooftop climbing and jumping.

Its just speculation on my part but I don't want them to just make another game inside a closed off prison facility. Its been done and done well at that. They have an entire city left as a premise and I hope they use more of that.
    Siris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6  Edited By Siris

Batman: Arkham Asylum 2.. wow that sounds like such a horrible title.. but I see how its get your point across. I just hope to see a more varied gameplay experience with more Batman-like game mechanics like the first game did so well with.

I'd love to see an open-world Gotham City with some kind of game mechanic built around protecting the city and its people.. in a fun way, not boring ways like the Spider-man games tried.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By HitmanAgent47

To fight two face and better boss fights, maybe different environment like the city and stuff. I don't know, the first game was already quite good, i'm still playing the game, even right now.

AltonBrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By AltonBrown

I want to kick Hush and Ra's al Ghul right square in the balls. 

I really do hope Ra's is in it. Did you notice his body in the morgue in AA? When you come back after finishing the game, it's gone.

spacetrucking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By spacetrucking
    @Siris: Haha, I know that my title reeks of laziness but thats what you get when you release a trailer without an actual title! And I'm not the only one, even Owen Good of Kotuka called it that.
    coolarman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By coolarman

Two words: MORE VILLAINS

KingBroly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

#11  Edited By KingBroly

I'd say Two Face, but the site all but confirms it with that billboard.  It's very subtle, though.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#12  Edited By chaser324  Moderator
    @KingBroly: I had to look for a while, but I think I see what you're referring to. One hand looks normal and the other one looks bloody and burned.
    septim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#13  Edited By septim

Take big time cues from Assassin's Creed 2. The first game had controls that fit its confined space but would feel a little restricted in an open world environment. Batman needs to be able to scale buidlings smoothly to swoop down on his foes.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By Geno
    @SimpsonFan said:

" I want the game to be longer. Less damn riddles. More gadgets. The city exploration does sound awesome. "

Longer? Seriously? That game was long as heck for an action/adventure.  

I want an open world aspect ala GTA, but done right. 
    spacetrucking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By spacetrucking
    @septim said:
    " Take big time cues from Assassin's Creed 2. The first game had controls that fit its confined space but would feel a little restricted in an open world environment. Batman needs to be able to scale buidlings smoothly to swoop down on his foes. "
    I agree and they can finally get rid of the "push X to run" business and use it for jumping :D
    j_drace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By j_drace

I want there to be a jump button.  Maybe a few more gadgets.  More characters, exploration of Gotham City and to be able to drive the Bat-Mobile.  Arkham Asylum is fucking awesome.

Avatar image for stephen_von_cloud
    Stephen_Von_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am so suprised to see people wanting to explore the whole city and a Batmobile.  The strength of Arkham Asylum came from its focus.  Is it possible that they could expand the game and keep this feeling?  Yes, but why risk it.  Instead I would keep it focused.  A bigger area is fine but don't bite off too much, please, and especially nothing that requires a vehicle for travel.  That only sounds bad.

The main thing for me:

The boss fights.  They should have been Metal Gear like but instead were god awful.  Other than that simply a logical progression with some steady improvement in every area will be fine with me.

j_drace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By j_drace
    @Stephen_Von_Cloud: I agree with you almost 100%.  When I said exploration of Gotham I meant have it take place in Gotham City.  It's strength is definitely the focus and simplicity.  Also I don't want to use the Batmobile as the main method of transportation, but I want to drive it a few times like how they have the vehicle missions in Gears of War.
    Avatar image for stephen_von_cloud
    Stephen_Von_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@j_drace said:
    " @Stephen_Von_Cloud: I agree with you almost 100%.  When I said exploration of Gotham I meant have it take place in Gotham City.  It's strength is definitely the focus and simplicity.  Also I don't want to use the Batmobile as the main method of transportation, but I want to drive it a few times like how they have the vehicle missions in Gears of War. "
    I wouldn't mind seeing it in a limited capacity, it could definitely be a nice change of pace.  The main thing is just to keep it somewhat simple and brief and don't overuse it.  I think a good example is the metal gear Rex moment in MGS4 (I assume you know that from you avatar), the controls could be figured out quickly yet had some cool little touches if you looked, but mostly it just provided a crazy moment and wasn't drawn out like too many vehicle segments are in games that aren't vehicle focused.
    jokingknight22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By jokingknight22

there was a tad bit of an open world feel to the first game while having a great pacing.  with what looks like the setting being gotham as a whole, and the popularity of open world games, i think it is a no-brainer for the developer to go open world.  i would like them to address the idea of going back and completing the game.  i left alot of riddles left over because it was just me walking around the island.  i did not feel compelled to go back into my previously completed game, but only to start a new one.  i think with gotham being the setting they could leave some enemies around to fight as well as finish riddles after you complete the game.

Druminator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Druminator

I was just hoping for some city exploration action and I got what I wanted. Yay!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.