Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Batman: Arkham Origins

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Oct 25, 2013

Two years after beginning his crime-fighting career, Batman faces his toughest challenge ever when the crime lord known as Black Mask hires the eight deadliest assassins in the DC Universe to kill the vigilante who has been interfering in his operations.

Developers focusing on DLC and not Bug Fixes

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

it's been about 4 months since the release of Batman Arkham Origins and there's still a laundry list of bugs, when asked on their own message board if there would be a new patch, a community manager replied with

Hi all,

The team is currently working hard on the upcoming story DLC and there currently are no plans for releasing another patch to address the issues that have been reported on the forums.

If we do move forward with creating a new patch, it will try to address the progression blocking bugs for players, not the minor glitches that do not prevent one from continuing to play. The issues that are not progression blockers will unfortunately no longer be addressed.

We apologize for any inconvenience this has caused for some of you, and want to thank you for having been patient.

this came from Joystiq. I was running the game yesterday, and I must say it's running slightly better then it did on launch day. The PC support was pretty consistent, two or 3 updates every week, I have no idea what it's like on console. If you got it on console please feel free to add in your experience.

Solh0und

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Solh0und

Makes me wonder why they didn't take a page from EA and halted DLC development to work on fixing the game.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Sad.

It's not unplayably buggy on consoles. But the technical potholes are still pretty noticeable.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

Sad.

It's not unplayably buggy on consoles. But the technical potholes are still pretty noticeable.

Actually, there are a number of bugs that can bring progress to a full stop. So you might not be able to complete the game, but at least you can still get the DLC! (Unless you bought the Wii U version, in which case, eh, fuck you. We're refunding what you paid for the season pass in addition to not fixing your game.) This is also apparently not a new thing for WB Games.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

@solh0und said:

Makes me wonder why they didn't take a page from EA and halted DLC development to work on fixing the game.

Because $

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

@historyinrust said:

Sad.

Actually, there are a number of bugs that can bring progress to a full stop. So you might not be able to complete the game, but at least you can still get the DLC! (Unless you bought the Wii U version, in which case, eh, fuck you. We're refunding what you paid for the season pass in addition to not fixing your game.) This is also apparently not a new thing for WB Games.

Oh boy did I see a lot of bugs.

I'm curious really over WB Montreal's budget if fixing it is an issues. In the ending credits I read more studios then just WB Montreal and Splash Damage, other studios like Iron Galaxy were brought on board. And again the game made something close to 4 million, and call it a disaster like Square Edios...... something else is going on, probably they don't have the proper funding and they are on deadline till they announce the next game they have on scheduled. Funding patching especially in these type of studio games is different then an indie dev who can keep in there, they have scheduled to work on and keep the main publisher happy. It's probably a choice upon high.... I still wonder, they released it onto 4 consoles, how is it like to patch a wii u?

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By AMyggen

@solh0und said:

Make no mistake, if it hadn't been for the enormous outcry over BF4, EA wouldn't have done that. It will never be the norm because of how much it has to cost a studio to just halt development on new games (and who knows what "halting development" really means). People generally didn't really care about Batman: AO, so there wasn't as big an outcry, and WB thus decided to say "fuck off" to the consumer.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@amyggen said:

@solh0und said:

Make no mistake, if it hadn't been for the enormous outcry over BF4, EA wouldn't have done that. It will never be the norm because of how much it has to cost a studio to just halt development on new games (and who knows what "halting development" really means). People generally didn't really care about Batman: AO, so there wasn't as big an outcry, and WB thus decided to say "fuck off" to the consumer.

Arkham Origins had a fairly big outcry for about the first month, and now most forums talk about falling through floors. Plus also sales are pretty underwhelming from WB's prespective, so I'd imagine they did what could do and right now with patches and right now they are trying to sneak out without being noticed.

By no means am I comparing with Battlefield 4. Everyone is still vocal about their dissatisfaction with BF4 to this day. Actually I'm curious.... Dice isn't working on Plants Vs Zombies Gardern Warfare? because they could be sending out guys there to help Pop Cap with Frostbyte engine work? And it looks an awful like Battlefield Heroes, I see Dice's finger prints all over that one.

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@crithon: Yeah, my point was that what DICE did was pretty unprecedented, and they only did it because it's EA's flagship franchise, and the game was fucked beyond belief at release. A "spin off" of the Batman franchise isn't big enough for WB to take a similar hit, I'd imagine, and it shows that EA's act of desperation won't be the norm going forward when a company releases a big game (and remember that it took a while for DICE/EA to come out and say that they would halt development on other games).

Still, just coming out and saying that the company will focus on DLC over patching the game is beyond dumb. They could at least pretend, that community manager hasn't done a very good job at managing the community.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@amyggen: WB is an odd one, they aspire to be the next EA or Ubisoft, and to be honest, most of their attempts are noble considering. I do believe Origin did have something like 5 studios working on it, it was a multiplatform release that seems to be norm these days. So really when you think about it, they probably have a couple of guys working what they can do on low resources and time. And then the budget ran out and the game sales are poor and then forced them to re-prioritize on what they could salvage from this. WB has a dozen projects down the pipe, probably sent them to work on Lego Batman 3.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

Sad, very sad.

To just come right out and say it too. Ouch.

I feel for the developers and players alike.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.