Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Battlefield 3

Game » consists of 15 releases. Released Oct 25, 2011

Battlefield 3 is DICE's third numerical installment in the Battlefield franchise. It features a single player and co-operative campaign, as well as an extensive multiplayer component.

So who else totally sucks at this game?

Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By Kazona

Half the time I feel like I'm a chicken running around with its head cut off. Now, I've never been what you'd consider an FPS expert, but, man, I've reached a whole new level of suck when it comes to this game. And yet, I can't seem to stop wanting to play, which is the total opposite experience I had with CoD games. And with those games I wasn't nearly as shitty as I am with BF3!

PowerCosmic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By PowerCosmic

Heh, me, I do. I played BF2 on the PC and I'm almost completely new at console FPS. Still, It's Battlefield. It's fun even when you die.

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#3  Edited By huntad

A tip would be to stop running. Slow your roll a bit, and just posse up with some friends or find some here on Giantbomb. Make sure to burst fire your shots in automatic fire mode, and use crouch and prone when you're shooting if you can help it. Once you can get down the basic strategy to winning a 1v1 firefight, then you can move onto bigger and better things (Jets and Helis).

EDIT: It's a very objective/team-based game, and I know that's said a lot but it's true. If you can just throw down some ammo, medpacks, or shoot a rocket at a tank, then you're doing fine. Everything else will come in time. You know what, if you can just hit that "Back/Select/Q?", spot an enemy, and have someone else kill him then you're doing good as well. I'm not trying to lecture you, so sorry if it comes off like that. I just wanna help.

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By mosdl

Everyone had bad games in BF, even the best. Its part of the fun.

BawlZINmotion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By BawlZINmotion

That is one of the great things about Battlefield, you can completely suck at shooting other players, but dominate the game through support.

Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Kazona

@huntad: Thanks, I appreciate the tips. I'll try to stick with other people more, rather than running off by myself. Unfortunately, I don't have many BF3 friends, so I'll just follow random people on the GB server :P

Avatar image for awesomeusername
    awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By awesomeusername

In the BF3 beta, I was really good with support and killing dudes. I haven't gotten the chance to play the multiplayer yet because I'm poor so I don't have a PS3. I do own BF3 though, just because that Karkand pre-order bonus.

RapidAmp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By RapidAmp

I'm just getting used to using a Mouse and Keyboard again after about 5 years of not PC gaming and be a console player. I am getting better though, which is an upside :P

EdIsCool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By EdIsCool

I was going well until the last day or so, I've had about 9 terrible matches in a row. 12-13 deaths sometimes. I blame it on going much too fast, not looking for enemies well enough.Got a bit too cocky.

vonFlampanker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By vonFlampanker

I'd recommend staying in tanks and APCs to balance out the insta-death factor until you get your bearings and learn the maps.

Battlefield's always given me a weird inconsistent sense in close quarters fighting. I do what appears to be a lot of damage and end up dead even if I get the drop on someone. Sometimes they turn around through the fire I'm dishing out and still manage to kill me. Longer range fighting is a little better, and BF3 has thankfully brought back the selectable fire modes on rifles. Single shot on your assault rifles will help get you used to the weapons without too much worrying about weird close-quarters battles.

It was mentioned above but bears repeating: Find a good squad that sticks together and stay with 'em.

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Pinworm45

@Chainblast said:

That is one of the great things about Battlefield, you can completely suck at shooting other players, but dominate the game through support.

This. I play with a group of friends, and one of my friends girlfriends plays as well. She usually has a bad K/D, like 2/15, but she is usually high up due to reviving and healing. Sometimes she surpasses me, which kind of annoys my 2.0k/d ego. (I drop ammo, too.)

Wuddel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By Wuddel

I hear you. Well I switched from console to PC. So there is that. I am a guy who can not play conservatively and defensively. Camping for more than 20 seconds makes me nuts. I usually sneak around behind enemy lines. Sneak up on people and prefer CQC in general. Often running with a shotgun or SMG/PDW. This is not really woking in BF3 for me. In BC2 I had an ok, K/D of ~1.1 or a bit higher. (I did a lot of dumb things to get all those medals.) When I was "in the zone" I could get 6 and 8 killstreaks quite easily. In BF3 I go like 2/17 sometimes. I find myself using the vehicles much more. I am alright in tanks and force myself to fly jets, which can be fun. Choppers are tough though. At least the attack helicopter.

bwmcmaste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By bwmcmaste

I am a superlative virtual soldier of surprising skill and insurmountable style, but even I have my bad days (i.e. low K/D, losing streaks, etc.).

Feikken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Feikken
    No Caption Provided

This is from a game of just healing and reviving team mates. Was just about as fun as flying a chopper around with a good gunner

Throw packs and ammo at anyone you see; you've got an unlimited supply of packs, so dont be stingy! Every player will literally say "GOD BLESS YOU, SUPPORT" to their monitors when you give them ammo

themangalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#16  Edited By themangalist

I suck at shooting but i get 2000+ points per game healing and reviving. So i still get fun out of my games.

MadLeper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By MadLeper

My K/D ratio is atrocious and it appears I can't aim worth a damn. But I've learned to slow down and stick with what I know best, repair and destroy vehicles. And it does get better...

ericdrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ericdrum

It's the rite of passage into the BF world. It takes different tactics and a different mindset to play BF over other shooters. Be patient. You will be rewarded. Focus first on what is going on around you. Awareness is the first skill to develop. Once you know what is happening, then you can appropriately react. BF is hugely chaotic at first, but in time, your brain will adjust and the game settles down.

Nadafinga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

#19  Edited By Nadafinga

@Feikken said:

No Caption Provided

That is awesome. That 37-14 guy in second place is probably like, "WTF?"

Vodun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Vodun

@Feikken said:

No Caption Provided

This is from a game of just healing and reviving team mates. Was just about as fun as flying a chopper around with a good gunner

Throw packs and ammo at anyone you see; you've got an unlimited supply of packs, so dont be stingy! Every player will literally say "GOD BLESS YOU, SUPPORT" to their monitors when you give them ammo

Haha, way to stick it to mr K/D in second! Gotta love it!

Christoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Christoffer

It's going better and better for me. I've been playing with a friend who's a hardcore Quake 3 player. I think he will give up BF3 pretty soon. No matter how much he tries to stay in the squad and keep hidden he have huge problems finding and targeting enemies before they do. Maybe it's a bigger leap if you've more in tune with a specific kind of FPS, like CoD or Quake. You just have to stick with it and it'll come.

Also, learning the maps is so important. Just rotating around and behind the more popular hiding spots will give you a few suprise kills. Running around aimlessly will get you killed fast.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By MikkaQ

@Vodun said:

@Feikken said:

No Caption Provided

Yeah this is the real battlefield right here. I used to do similarly (not as good, of course) in BF2 and get between 1st and 3rd in almost every round through very aggressive reviving. I can tell you it does bother the real competitive types and then you just get all smug and say "Oh but it's a team effort!".

Buscemi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Buscemi

I died like hell in the beginning. I've only played a few hours, mind you, but I really got better at it when I played with a pal who'd been playing (almost) nonstop since release. He had some thirty or thirtyfive hours on my two or three. We drove (or he drove, because I didn't know the maps) around and took out stray infantry, killed a chopper that stayed still in the air for too long and destroyed tanks. When our own tank was too damaged I jumped out and repaired it back to full health. We were always the number one and two on our team. I had so much fun, I never thought I would beforehand.

TooSweet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By TooSweet

I've had games where I score like 3000+ points but my KDR is super low. I was okay with that. As long as I was able to support I was fine. I'm not good with PC FPS games, but I'm slowly getting better. Usually I'm also just running around on my own and getting killed a lot but a friend of mine teamed up with me and using our microphones we coordinated really well. We used tanks and copters to do some damage and captured and took over a lot of location flags. We later worked together as an engineer team and destroyed just about every vehicle the enemy came at us with. Or just doing cover fire to distract while our other teammate stabbed a sniper in the back. Finally got my first MVP ribbon. I let him do most of the driving and I did gunner support but I slowly started driving too on the tanks.

I'm looking forward to using the headset with mic more since it made the game even better.

Still_I_Cry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#25  Edited By Still_I_Cry

I am not very good at this game.

I get killed by some Mr. Campy McCamperpants a lot.

OldManLight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

#26  Edited By OldManLight

man, i am terrible at the combat but i understand how to still help my team so i don't feel like a total burden.

you'll find me behind a tank with a repair tool or behind the dudes doing the shooting tossing medkits at the ground and shock paddles at the ready.

OldManLight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By OldManLight

@Still_I_Cry said:

get your revenge by crashing a chopper into them. that's how you play battlefield.

sopranosfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#28  Edited By sopranosfan

My K/D is about half what it is on Black Ops and it is below 1 but I still feel like I am a better team player on here than I am on any COD game. I have died a lot of times repairing a tank because you are out in the open with your back to the crowd but I have kept multiple tanks laying it to the enemy when I do so the team is doing better and I get points for doing so. Same with medic in some maps especially the Subway one(can't remember name). If you have a couple of teammates throwing down strategic health packs and healing when safe it can make a big difference on that map. That is why I personally prefer Battlefield over COD because being a good teammate is more important than K/D to most people playing.

yakov456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By yakov456

I hear ya buddy. As long as it's fun for you that is all that matters. Loving it too even if I'm doing horrible. Only time I get frustrated is when I spawn and the enemy is literally right behind me for an instant kill, also when I go to knife someone and it doesn't work.

OldManLight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By OldManLight

Battlefield isn't all about the body count fellas, Lay waste to a couple vehicles, or crash a jet into the ground mere seconds after takeoff, that's where the fun is.

bwmcmaste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By bwmcmaste

@Still_I_Cry said:

...and "Dark Corner McDougals?"

HiroSeven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By HiroSeven

Bad Company 1 was my first experience with multiplayer FPS and since then with BC2 and BF3 I've gotten better and worse respectively (since I don't play as consistantly as I'd like to either). I guess the kit you play with mostly will kind of determine how you will do in terms of supporting your team right? I remember using the Recon kit in the BF3 Beta and spotting for teammates, getting a kill here and there, but I got really anxious because arming/defening the MCOMS is where it's at; so I switched to Assault, was usually one of the top 4 consistantely (healing helps a ton, as demonstrated in this topic) and helped win more games.

In the retail version I play Engineer exclusively because I want to be able to disable/destroy vehicles and drive/repair them.... haven't tried support yet though, maybe that's where it's at for me!

But yeah, to sum it up, I'm up there with totally sucking at this game. ={

-H7

Still_I_Cry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Still_I_Cry

@bwmcmaste said:

@Still_I_Cry said:

...and "Dark Corner McDougals?"

Yes! I was hoping someone would pick up on that :P

Feikken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Feikken

@OldManLight said:

Battlefield isn't all about the body count fellas, Lay waste to a couple vehicles, or crash a jet into the ground mere seconds after takeoff, that's where the fun is.

preferably you can do all of this before you leave your main base at the beginning of the round

you know.. to boost morale

Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#35  Edited By Sin4profit

i use to be pretty good...but now i suck...dunno what happened.

Raineko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Raineko

Yeah this game rewards you alot which is good. I remember Counterstrike where there was always at least one guy who had to die without getting a point. But yeah at first my aiming sucked too but then I turned the mouse sensitivity WAY DOWN and now I find myself pretty often owning, you should try too. :D

habster3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By habster3

I must say that I find the matches poorly balanced; I often join a game where my team is full of novices and the other time is amazing. Practical gangrape every game. And the good games... my internet connection cuts... fuck

PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

I've never played it, but if my time with Bad Company 2 is any indication, I don't stand a chance with this game.

tekmojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By tekmojo
    @Chainblast said:

Yeap, I switch my play style up so much in this game.
    Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#40  Edited By Ben_H
    @XII_Sniper said:

@Vodun said:

@Feikken said:

No Caption Provided

Yeah this is the real battlefield right here. I used to do similarly (not as good, of course) in BF2 and get between 1st and 3rd in almost every round through very aggressive reviving. I can tell you it does bother the real competitive types and then you just get all smug and say "Oh but it's a team effort!".

hahaha, in BF2. 1st place with 3 kills, 20 deaths and over 100 revives and 20 heals since they were one point a pop. It was so fun. One medic could keep two squads going all the way to a flag across the map if they were good enough and could stay out of fire.

I get those kinds of situations all the time on one of my clan servers on this game. There's always the tryhards with immaculate kill/death ratios but when you look at their team stats you have many times that in a quarter of the time then there'll be a squad that occupies the top 4 spots in front of said tryhard because the squad actually works together.  I've got either first or second MVP in a quarter of my games solely from running around like crazy capturing stuff and making sure people get revived and that there's medkits out near objectives or chokes.  I always tell people who worry about K/D in BF games they're doing it wrong. Then they tell me I'm wrong yet somehow I still double their score (I got to 8k points in one match with an amazing k/d of 4/17, but got 3 flag capture badgy things)
    huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#41  Edited By huntad

To kind of reiterate in a different way, I have just witnessed some gameplay moments in the life of a friend that keeps dying over and over. I have to say, I was spot on in saying that slowing yourself down is the main way to improve in this game. Stopping and checking around every corner crouched or proned is the absolute best way to make sure the path is safe. NEVER run around a blind corner sprinting or walking like normal. I mean, it sounds really lame, but if you just pretend you really are that solider in a real war you'll probably live a lot longer.

Avatar image for extreme_popcorn
    Extreme_Popcorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Extreme_Popcorn

@Kazona said:

Half the time I feel like I'm a chicken running around with its head cut off. Now, I've never been what you'd consider an FPS expert, but, man, I've reached a whole new level of suck when it comes to this game. And yet, I can't seem to stop wanting to play, which is the total opposite experience I had with CoD games. And with those games I wasn't nearly as shitty as I am with BF3!

Best advice I can give you... STOP PLAYING RECON!

If you enjoy running round and shit then play Assault or Engineer. Heal dudes, revive dudes, repair dudes, blow dudes up with mine and rockets or if you want...grab a shotgun and smoke some dude in the face with it.

Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Kazona

@Extreme_Popcorn: Well I didn't mean that I was literally running around like that. I've just had trouble learning the layout of maps, finding good vantage points and basically learning how to snipe. I'm now slowly getting better at it, but I might give engineer a try.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By MikkaQ

@Ben_H: I like how DICE has acknowledge how unimportant KD is. If you look at the battlelog, in big bold writing you can see the win ratio. Then for KD, you have to look at the bottom of the page with the rest of the minor stats in small handwriting. The message is pretty clear.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.