Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Battlefield 3

Game » consists of 15 releases. Released Oct 25, 2011

Battlefield 3 is DICE's third numerical installment in the Battlefield franchise. It features a single player and co-operative campaign, as well as an extensive multiplayer component.

This game is fantastic [PC]

Beaudacious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Beaudacious

Its like Dice perfectly meshed BF2, with BF:BC2. I didn't think I'd say this either but it really is a battlefield PC game.

The gameplay is great:

• Sniper glint,
    • The flashlight
    • Weapon heft, and individuality
    • Oh lord the customization is fantastic
    • Dmg balance feels spot on
    • Level design is great.( METRO only so far)
    • Visuals are great
    • Runs like butter even though its beta
    • No more glow stick bullets!!!!
    • Weapon list? With all that customization holy crap!
    • All those vehicles!

I remember thinking the web interface was a stupid idea, but am glad i was wrong. It provides so much more information so much more quickly. Loading from the website to gameplay is quick, and you don't lose your place in line by the time the game has loaded.

I was so pessimistic about this game before the beta, but now my hopes have exponentially grown. It feels like someone has finally made a proper next-generation shooter. They've won me over for a preorder, and if they can keep pumping out content for this game I see myself having my fps itch satisfied for a while. I might not even pick up skyrim cause I'll be to busy playing BF3.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By AhmadMetallic

I agree with literally everything you said in your entire post except for the damage balance.  That high bullet damage is gonna destroy everything that is beautiful about being a hardworking conquest player

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By mikemcn

Why'd you have to say flashlight, now i want to go play more Bf3, i want that tac light, NOW

Dread612

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Dread612

Mostly agree with you, except the damage balance as well, seems off. I put about 200 Hrs total in BFBC2.

Now Battlelog, it is a complete piece of shit. Its so messy. You need Origin open and you need the browser open for Battlelog. Constantly need to alt-tab to switch servers and alt-enter to go full screen. I dunno what there were thinking. Seems like they taking a step back here. Reminds me of back when I used to run a server for UT2k4.

Avatar image for deactivated-57eb15f3bf54c
    deactivated-57eb15f3bf54c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I 100% agree. ive been playing the beta since the 27th and i cant stop playing. its everything i wanted battlefeild to be. the sniper glint is awesome, people that say its bad are bad snipers. it gives everyone an edge on snipers, so im not just running around getting head shotted from across the damn map, instead i see where he is and i have a chance to return fire. i personally love sniper and DESTROY people, always top of the server, always. all the other things you listed are spot on! the damage feels perfect. the registration is perfect. this game even in beta is one of the best fast paced battlefeild game ive ever played, and i really hope they dont listen to the cry babies and do not change anything really. cept the gltiching through the map shit, and maybe more hi res textures. but its pretty, smooth and a damn fun game. i cant wait for the launch.

mr_ace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By mr_ace

i hated the damage in bad company, you'd put an entire friggin clip into someone, and then you'd end up not killing them because you had to reload. terrible. bf3 is much better in this regard

Avatar image for deactivated-57eb15f3bf54c
    deactivated-57eb15f3bf54c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also, i believe that Battlelog is the best damn thing they did. its INNOVATIVE. who gives a damn if you need origin open, is your computer that bad? everything is at your finger tips, in the browser, the game launches from there so easily. it is so smooth in alt tabbing and NOT causing conflicts. this isnt your ported over piece of shit game, they poured money into this game, and personally, i would pay upwards of 100 dollars for this game. brilliant.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Clonedzero

yeah, the bullet damage is a bit too high, you die if someone sneezes at you.

but i really love the feel of the guns, they all have a real nice "oomph" to them. though i really dislike how the starting weapons are different for each team. i got stuck playing america for like my first 10 rounds, so when i got to the russians my AK had no upgrades while my M16 had like 5 or 6 thingies. bummed me the hell out.

Beaudacious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Beaudacious

@Dread612: Video options has a off on for auto full screen, pays to be adventurous.

On the Damage point, its spot on because its between normal and hc from bf:bc2, i can't imagine how painfull hc is gonna be in bf3.

delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By delta_ass

@Clonedzero said:

Bullets in real life tend to do a lot of damage.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Clonedzero

@Delta_Ass said:

@Clonedzero said:

oh i forgot this game is real life, i thought i was playing a video game thats designed to be fun. my bad.

Twitchey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Twitchey
    @Clonedzero said:

@Delta_Ass said:

@Clonedzero said:

oh i forgot this game is real life, i thought i was playing a video game thats designed to be fun. my bad.

Considering a lot of stuff in this game was made to be realistic, I'd consider the bullets to be realistic too.
    mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13  Edited By mosdl

@AhmadMetallic said:

I agree with literally everything you said in your entire post except for the damage balance. That high bullet damage is gonna destroy everything that is beautiful about being a hardworking conquest player

Having played a lot of Caspian, I don't think the effect is that bad on team work. The medic revive actually works from further away than bf2/bc2. Plus being able to spawn on any squad member evens that out.

Had no problems defending areas with my squad. The game does force squads to even up class-wise, having 4 engies run out of ammo gets hectic. Though I think the hand guns are overpowered, easy to take down people with them.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By SeriouslyNow

@Twitchey said:

@Clonedzero said:

@Delta_Ass said:

@Clonedzero said:

Considering a lot of stuff in this game was made to be realistic, I'd consider the bullets to be realistic too.

The bullet damage isn't modelled high for realism's sake, it's done so to encourage high kill rates which in turn makes the levelling go faster. It will be lower after the beta ends. It was the same with the BC2 beta.

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By mosdl

One thing I do hate is no grenade cooking,

2HeadedNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By 2HeadedNinja

From what I was able to play the game seems great ... but (at least for me) the battlelog is terrible. The site doesnt refresh properly, I had to reload the whole site to see chat messages, the party join doesn't work at all (or I'm too stupid to use it), there is pretty much no response for me when it comes to join a server ... half of the time nothing happens. I also don't understand why there is no refresh button on the server browser or some way to get into a line on a full server.

When it comes to the game ... I really really really don't understand the squad system. Either way I just didn't get it or there is no way to pick a squad. I didn't see any way to open a squad with my friends. And I hope they will open up Caspian at some point. Metro is fine, but the map is a little small for my taste.

Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@SeriouslyNow said:

@Twitchey said:

@Clonedzero said:

@Delta_Ass said:

@Clonedzero said:

It will be lower after the beta ends.

I hope you're right about that, if the damage was lowered just a teeny bit (to around BFBC2's normal mode, honestly. That game had perfect bullet damage in my opinion) this would be the perfect FPS for me.

theanticitizen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By theanticitizen
    @AhmadMetallic Yeah DMG feels off. Also it's not fun to play console. Serious serious dead zone issues. You CANNOT play with a wireless controller. Also, looks bad on console.
    mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By mosdl

@2HeadedNinja said:

From what I was able to play the game seems great ... but (at least for me) the battlelog is terrible. The site doesnt refresh properly, I had to reload the whole site to see chat messages, the party join doesn't work at all (or I'm too stupid to use it), there is pretty much no response for me when it comes to join a server ... half of the time nothing happens. I also don't understand why there is no refresh button on the server browser or some way to get into a line on a full server.

When it comes to the game ... I really really really don't understand the squad system. Either way I just didn't get it or there is no way to pick a squad. I didn't see any way to open a squad with my friends. And I hope they will open up Caspian at some point. Metro is fine, but the map is a little small for my taste.

A fix for the joining issues will be out tomorrow (new plugin) - remember, beta is for testing :)

As for refresh - yeah, that is missing.

Squads - you can leave a squad, but can't join specific ones or create one. I assume that will get fixed for release.

aceofspudz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By aceofspudz

It's been extremely buggy for me. I can't enjoy it yet.

But there is an awesome game there. I can feel it.

Also I got completely rogered by the origin master id system. Now I don't have the name I did in BC2, or anywhere else on the internet for that matter.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9398c1300c7
    deactivated-5f9398c1300c7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

War. It's FAAAAANtastic... :D

2HeadedNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By 2HeadedNinja

@mosdl said:

@2HeadedNinja said:

A fix for the joining issues will be out tomorrow (new plugin) - remember, beta is for testing :)

As for refresh - yeah, that is missing.

Squads - you can leave a squad, but can't join specific ones or create one. I assume that will get fixed for release.

I hope I didn't come across as too negative ... I overall really like the game and besides the fact that I see no way to use the steam overlay with BF3 I even like the Battlelog thing. I just hope they fix some of the basic stuff.

Akrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Akrid

The damage model is kind of the crux of the whole game in that it's what makes the game so different from it's predecessors, and while I personally generally prefer more drawn out gunfights, this is great in it's own way. I'm disappointed to see resupply and healing become less relevant, but the companionship lost is replaced by the need to work carefully together in order to survive. It was way too easy to lone wolf it effectively in BFBC2.   

They're taking some risks with the flashlight. I've heard lots of complaints about the blind. But it's hard for some to understand that people who use the flashlight are trading any sort of element of surprise they have on you, and that means a lot in a shooter. Intellectually, I can understand that it's a fair trade. But that doesn't stop me from being really pissed whenever someone blinds me. Plus, it's just so goddamn cool that they've made these dark areas that can be difficult to fight in without a flashlight. I hope there's more of these areas to come. Also, these people using the flashlights in daylight is pretty stupid. 

Metro shows a a lot of variation of gameplay, Going from laying low in the valleys of shallow hills into peeking round corridors into blasting apart a small london flat filled with dudes.  and that's just one map.  I'm excited to see what else they have waiting. Largely non-destructible environments are slightly disappointing, but it gets them away from the cookie-cutter feel of BFBC2.

They've struck a nice balance with each class, with sniper glint nerfing recon by just the right amount so that it's still deadly in capable hands but bad play is punished appropriately, the punishment being what BC2 lacked and earned this class it's maligned reputation. Assault can be a bit frustrating when a team mate dies 5 meters from me but I'm not sure I can reach them. I think the best solution to this would be to put in a revive countdown - knowing exactly how much time I have left before that body disappears would help me know for sure if it's a lost cause, and take some of the frustration away. Engineer... Well, hard to tell with no vehicles. And support does what it's supposed to do: support. Once people catch on to this suppression thing I think more people will use this class. Engineer will come with vehicles, and snipers will be for people who can put up with the fact that you're still in danger even though you're hidden in a bush 500 m away. The remainder will just stick with assault.  

I'm also absolutely thrilled how they've implemented suppression: It actually works! Pinning down the opponent with a torrent of gunfire while a team-mate fires from a better vantage point - that's the kind of thing I've been looking for in an FPS since the whole thing started. And it works in a completely logical fashion too: No suppression meter, just a dude who is too scared to stick his head out for fear of it being blown off. I hope people eventually realize that this is a big part of the game, and actually begin to make use of it. But I hope it's not over-used either. We don't want a team of supports just emptying magazines into hillsides all day long. The point value awarded for suppression seems to anticipate this: You don't want to reward people too much for spraying and praying.

Honestly, I'm pretty all-round blown away by it. I was fully expecting a BFBC3, but this is something refreshingly new in an increasingly stale genre.

Jackel2072

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#24  Edited By Jackel2072

@AhmadMetallic said:

I agree with literally everything you said in your entire post except for the damage balance. That high bullet damage is gonna destroy everything that is beautiful about being a hardworking conquest player

im sure Hardcore will be in the final game.

Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Jackel2072 said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

im sure Hardcore will be in the final game.

His problem is that the bullet damage is too high in normal mode. (Maybe you mis-read hardworking conquest player as hardcore conquest player?)

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#26  Edited By Seppli

@SeriouslyNow said:

@Twitchey said:

@Clonedzero said:

@Delta_Ass said:

@Clonedzero said:

The bullet damage isn't modelled high for realism's sake, it's done so to encourage high kill rates which in turn makes the levelling go faster. It will be lower after the beta ends. It was the same with the BC2 beta.

Actually they've decreased TTK from BF:BC 2 open beta to release by a blanket 25%. Everybody ran around with HP levels lowered to 75% of its open beta value. DICE did this because the broad audience wants low TTK shooters with 'bullets that kill'. I usually don't agree with this stance for gameplay reasons, but somehow it works better than expected in BETA.

Not only do I die quicker, I also kill quicker. There's the downside and the upside. Opportunities and openings happen way more frequently with low TTK.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Seppli

@aceofspudz said:

It's been extremely buggy for me. I can't enjoy it yet.

But there is an awesome game there. I can feel it.

Also I got completely rogered by the origin master id system. Now I don't have the name I did in BC2, or anywhere else on the internet for that matter.

Apparently you will be able to make multiple soldiers in Battlelog in the full release.

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By scarace360

i like the damage way easier to kill people dont have to pump a whole clip in em.

Avatar image for rhombus_of_terror
    Rhombus_Of_Terror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Definately getting server side issues but once you're in it plays pretty well, kinks here and there and i have had one or two login server dc's.

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By scarace360

its down. servers are down.

krisgebis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#31  Edited By krisgebis

Can i borrow your tinted glasses? There is alot to like about BF3, but there are also negatives.

First of the level design (Metro level) is pretty bad. It starts out well enough in the park, but then gets worse as the level progresses. It ends out with a spawnpoint that is so easily overwhelmed by the attackers it laughable.

Customization is pretty good, but is this really a (damn this is) good point? Compared to the competition, this should be expected and has until now been critically underwelming. So it's hardly more then Dice catching up.

gunstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By gunstar

I cannot for the life of me get into a game with a party (on PC). Is anyone else having this issue? I have to manually join a server my friend is in, hope I get on the same team or can switch, and then we can't even be in a squad together without dumb luck.

Avatar image for smashedcontrollers
    SmasheControllers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Agreed expect I don't like Op Metro.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Seppli

@Akrid:

You can turn the flashlight on and off. Hotkey T on PC and digi-pad up or down on console. I like to turn it off in the open or playing long angles and turn it on when going around corners and doorways.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.