Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Battlefield 4

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Oct 29, 2013

DICE's popular multiplayer-focused shooter series continues, making its debut appearance on the PS4 and Xbox One.

Thinking of buying BF4. Should I hold on?

Dacnomaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So, as the thread suggests. I bought a new rig not too long ago and this will be the first new graphically pleasing game that I am thinking of buying. After seeing videos and forum threads, is the game in that bad of a state? I have a GTX 770, if any of you have the same card...

DonMFJohnson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By DonMFJohnson

I have a Asus GTX 770 card and the game runs great. There are some stability problems with servers (crashes, disconnects), but I think it will get better with patches. Do not buy this for the campaign, multiplayer is where it's at.

fleabeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By fleabeard

If you can get a good deal on it now, go for it. Otherwise just wait.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

chiablo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Wait for Black Friday. It'll be half-off at GameStop and by then they will have worked out the instability.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

Wait for the inevitable huge patch in a few weeks, or maybe it's already hit.

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dacnomaniac: I'm running the game with everything maxed out at 50ish fps on a GTX 760. The game will run fine for you. When the multiplayer works it's great. It's been working more and more so yea, go for it.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

@chiablo said:

Wait for Black Friday. It'll be half-off at GameStop and by then they will have worked out the instability.

This. It's what I am doing. Well hopefully its on sale at Best Buy or Target too. Don't want to give Gamestop my business.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By GaspoweR

Yeah, if you can wait for a good deal on Black Friday then go for it and hopefully the server issues would be probably be fixed and stable by then. I personally would look out for it in Moneysaver on Kotaku for deals like that. I got the game for 43 bucks on GreenManGaming via Moneysaver. Multi-player is a lot of fun.

@mikey87144: Oh hey, sir! Glad to see you're continuing to enjoy your rig! :D

Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
    deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Black Friday is coming up soon, wait for that.

Edit: Oh, someone beat me to the punch, bummer. :(

Scrawnto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's definitely crashy at the moment, but I think that will get ironed out with time. It's definitely worth getting eventually, maybe after the client patch that they're working on. I've really enjoyed the rounds I've gotten all the way through.

Dacnomaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I live in the UK no black friday for us (bummer I know), however I did find this... what do you guys think?

SeanFoster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Server issues aside, it seems incredible (playing on a GTX 780) but I'd wait a couple of weeks.

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

You can get it on Greenman Gaming for 45 bucks using their coupons

Dacnomaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Dacnomaniac

@mosdl: Thanks man!

@mosdl: EDIT: Where the hell are these coupons?

Rick_Fingers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's fine to buy now, they'll fix it.

Unfortunately Battlefield launches like an MMO these days

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By DonPixel

@rick_fingers said:

It's fine to buy now, they'll fix it.

Unfortunately Battlefield launches like an MMO these days

Battlefield has always launched like an MMO, actually BF4 launch is no that bad (crazy as it sounds)...

Battlefield 2 was the worst of them all, took them like 2 years to get it stable and you had to download huge patches that sometimes would fail to install for reasons.. They didn't even had a unified patch system, it was fucking garbage.

Rick_Fingers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Rick_Fingers

@donpixel: see I don't remember BF2 as being that bad...but then again it was a long time ago.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#20  Edited By Seppli

For the game itself. It delivers. Love it. Get it.

All that's left for DICE to finally nail down is movement. Still to many pebbles to get stuck on. Still not capable of climbing chesthigh ledges or anything like that. Essentially DICE has to play GTA V and try to achieve parity with that game in terms of organic movement. Everywhere common sense demands I can go, I can go - as in climb. Given how huge the game GTA V is, that's a remarkable achievement. Movement is like 99,9% working and feeling completely organic.

For god's sake, they invented first person parcours. I really don't get how some iteration of it hasn't made into Battlefield yet.

jArmAhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dacnomaniac:

If you can get a good deal on it now, go for it. Otherwise just wait.Quote

Heh, good one.

Just buy the game

@seppli said:

All that's left for DICE to finally nail down is movement. Still to many pebbles to get stuck on. Still not capable of climbing chest high ledges or anything like. Essentially DICE has to play GTA V and try to achieve parity with that game in terms of organic movement. Everywhere common sense demands I can go, I can go - as in climb. Given how huge the game is, that's a remarkable achievement. Movement is like 99,9% working and feeling completely organic.

For god's sake, they invented first person parcours. I really don't get how some iteration of it hasn't made into Battlefield yet.

I'd like to see it in if it was reasonable. Marines should not be doing Parkour in full battle gear with an M240 Bravo, though. It'd be pretty cool to be able to hoist yourself over a wall, but I can't see it being anything but silly with the pace required in that game. I think the movement is fine. If they build a game to not let you jump over something, and then don't let you jump over everything, they're doing things right. Adding that in just for the sake of it wouldn't be doing things right. Maps and gameplay would need tweaking and I'm not sure it'd add all that much unless the game became much slower paced, closer to something like Project Reality for example.

I feel like I can get up and over just about anything I could need or want to within reason (ie, buildings). And a chopper makes that that much easier, and I think encouraging the use of transport choppers is a good thing.

The major issues are server stuff, everything else seems mostly okay and the new nVidia cards are all handling it pretty well. Spectacularly actually, the game runs and looks fantastic on the 770, according to my buddy. And my 680 does an equally awesome job of running it at max. If anything, the game is less broken at launch for me than BF3 is years after launch at this very moment.

Also, fuck climbing walls, freaking shoot that thing out of the way. Or explode it out of the way, I guess would be more appropriate.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#22  Edited By Seppli

@dacnomaniac:

@fleabeard said:

If you can get a good deal on it now, go for it. Otherwise just wait.Quote

Heh, good one.

Just buy the game

@seppli said:

All that's left for DICE to finally nail down is movement. Still to many pebbles to get stuck on. Still not capable of climbing chest high ledges or anything like. Essentially DICE has to play GTA V and try to achieve parity with that game in terms of organic movement. Everywhere common sense demands I can go, I can go - as in climb. Given how huge the game is, that's a remarkable achievement. Movement is like 99,9% working and feeling completely organic.

I'd like to see it in if it was reasonable. Marines should not be doing Parkour in full battle gear with an M240 Bravo, though. It'd be pretty cool to be able to hoist yourself over a wall, but I can't see it being anything but silly with the pace required in that game. I think the movement is fine. If they build a game to not let you jump over something, and then don't let you jump over everything, they're doing things right. Adding that in just for the sake of it wouldn't be doing things right. Maps and gameplay would need tweaking and I'm not sure it'd add all that much unless the game became much slower paced, closer to something like Project Reality for example.

I feel like I can get up and over just about anything I could need or want to within reason (ie, buildings). And a chopper makes that that much easier, and I think encouraging the use of transport choppers is a good thing.

The major issues are server stuff, everything else seems mostly okay and the new nVidia cards are all handling it pretty well. Spectacularly actually, the game runs and looks fantastic on the 770, according to my buddy. And my 680 does an equally awesome job of running it at max. If anything, the game is less broken at launch for me than BF3 is years after launch at this very moment.

Also, fuck climbing walls, freaking shoot that thing out of the way. Or explode it out of the way, I guess would be more appropriate.

I didn't say Parcours, I said organic movement. Like jumping a fence. Pulling myself up a low wall. That kind of stuff. You can't do parcours in GTA V - but movement feels crazy organic and believable. There's never ever an invisible wall or some place you just can't go. If you can imagine doing it, with utmost certainty you can do it. Battlefield is way more limited than that. Movement feels *restricted*, rather than organic.

And then there's of course all the little pebbles and shit players can get stuck on.

Samaritan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

The game has totally been playable. I've gotten a couple server crashes, and I had to do a CPU virtual-core fix to minimize stuttering (as the game is horrifically unoptimized for Windows 7). But where it's at now, it's totally fine and runs great.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9398c1300c7
    deactivated-5f9398c1300c7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

BF3 dropped in price faster than you can say "THIS GAME IS EXPENSIVE!"

So I'd wait.

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

BF3 dropped in price faster than you can say "THIS GAME IS EXPENSIVE!"

So I'd wait.

Yeah I remember getting it during some "Spring Cleaning" sale they had only like 3 months after release. I'm going to wait on 4 the same way.

Dacnomaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So I did buy it, for those wondering I got it for £30 here, and found it on Hot UK Deals.com. It runs well so far though! I used the Geforce Experience thing to optimise my settings.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.