Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Battlefield: Bad Company 2

Game » consists of 26 releases. Released Mar 02, 2010

Battlefield: Bad Company 2 is the second installment in this spin-off Battlefield series. It has a more serious campaign and a vastly expanded multiplayer system.

9800GTX Too Choppy

jvsexy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By jvsexy

Hi, Im playing this game on my Core 2 Duo 3.16Ghz, 5gb Ram, nvidia 9800gtx, Windows 7 Ultimate.

I've set all video settings to low but its too choppy. Im using the latest drivers also. I guess my card is abit on the lower end. The min. system requires an nvidia 7800. Recommended is gtx 260.

Anyone else facing this issue on their 9800gtx ? Or any suggestions ?

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#2  Edited By JJWeatherman

That sounds rough. I have a suggestion for the devs of BC2: Dont make your games so damn  hard to run!

jvsexy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By jvsexy

yea i agree its too rough. I can play COD:MW2 will all settings high & it looks amazing. But BC2 makes my system look 'old'. I think ill have to pass on this game. Luckily I didnt purchase this game.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By MrKlorox

I've noticed the game not closing completely when I try to quit it, making the next time I play it really really choppy. Open your Task Manager and make sure no copies of BFBC2.exe are still running in the background.

I have two 9800 GXT+ in SLI and they can run the game maxed out, except for shadows and HASO.

PufferFiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By PufferFiz
    @jvsexy said:
    " Hi, Im playing this game on my Core 2 Duo 3.16Ghz, 5gb Ram, nvidia 9800gtx, Windows 7 Ultimate.  I've set all video settings to low but its too choppy. Im using the latest drivers also. I guess my card is abit on the lower end. The min. system requires an nvidia 7800. Recommended is gtx 260.  Anyone else facing this issue on their 9800gtx ? Or any suggestions ? "
    have you tried the new driver? Go to nvidia.com might help
    MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By MrKlorox
    @PufferFiz:  Weird. I downloaded the new ones from March 2nd (196.75) a few days ago, but now when I check the site, the newest one I see is the beta from January 27 (196.34).

edit: never mind.  There is a warning to the left that I ignored.

We are aware that some customers have reported fan speed issues with the latest 196.75 WHQL drivers on NVIDIA.com. Until we can verify and root cause this issue, we recommend that customers do not download this driver. Instead, please stay with, or return to 196.21 WHQL drivers. Release 196.75 drivers have been temporarily removed from our website and we also are asking our partners and others to remove temporarily this 196.75 WHQL driver as well.

hmmm
    PufferFiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7  Edited By PufferFiz
    @MrKlorox said:
    " @PufferFiz:  Weird. I downloaded the new ones from March 2nd (196.75) a few days ago, but now when I check the site, the newest one I see is the beta from January 27 (196.34).

We are aware that some customers have reported fan speed issues with the latest 196.75 WHQL drivers on NVIDIA.com. Until we can verify and root cause this issue, we recommend that customers do not download this driver. Instead, please stay with, or return to 196.21 WHQL drivers. Release 196.75 drivers have been temporarily removed from our website and we also are asking our partners and others to remove temporarily this 196.75 WHQL driver as well.

hmmm "
    well I am on the new one and having no speed issues. but maybe that is because I have a 7600 ;_;
    jvsexy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By jvsexy
    @PufferFiz said:
    " @MrKlorox said:
    " @PufferFiz:  Weird. I downloaded the new ones from March 2nd (196.75) a few days ago, but now when I check the site, the newest one I see is the beta from January 27 (196.34).

hmmm "
    well I am on the new one and having no speed issues. but maybe that is because I have a 7600 ;_; "
    U have a 7600 ?? n wat video settings have u applied ?
    TravisT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By TravisT

I'm running an AMD Athlon X2 5400 2.80 Ghz, 2GB RAM, Windows XP 32 Bit, NVIDIA 8800 GTS OC KO Edition at 1920x1080 with settings maxed. The only thing I changed was downgrading Shadows to the lowest option. I have not experienced lag through 20 hours of gameplay.

spazmaster666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#10  Edited By spazmaster666

I'm running this on my GTX 280 rig (Core 2 Quad 3.2GHz, 8GB DDR2-6400 RAM, 1GB GTX 280, W7 Ultimate) and I still get some choppiness when running with DirectX10 and max settings with 2xAA (lowering the settings to medium doesn't seem to help much). Running in DX9 seems to smooth things out some but it still doesn't run as well as it should considering the visuals aren't particularly impressive by today's standards.

Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Jadeskye
    @jvsexy said:
    " Hi, Im playing this game on my Core 2 Duo 3.16Ghz, 5gb Ram, nvidia 9800gtx, Windows 7 Ultimate.  I've set all video settings to low but its too choppy. Im using the latest drivers also. I guess my card is abit on the lower end. The min. system requires an nvidia 7800. Recommended is gtx 260.  Anyone else facing this issue on their 9800gtx ? Or any suggestions ? "
    try new drivers and explain this 5GB of RAM situation, thats an odd amount, might be causing instability. I've run this game on an 8800GTS without issue.
    BawlZINmotion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By BawlZINmotion

Try forcing the game into DX9 through the games' settings.ini, found in your "My Documents" BC2 folder. Worked well for myself.

philuk19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13  Edited By philuk19
    @PufferFiz said:

" @MrKlorox said:

hmmm "
    well I am on the new one and having no speed issues. but maybe that is because I have a 7600 ;_; "
    Wasnt the issue of the driver causing the fan to stop (or somthing) which leds to over-heatings and eventually failure of the GPU?
    Avatar image for captain_clayman
    captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By captain_clayman

get a new GPU?

sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By sodiumCyclops

People should take note that this game has a lot to do with the CPU too.

It seems to take Quads better than Duals.

Vashie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Vashie

I've got a C2D E8400, 9800gtx+ and 4gig ram and it runs perfectly in DX9. So i think your GPU is fine.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By SeriouslyNow

I've had no problems at all with the game's performance.  My specs : Core i5 750, 9600GT 512MB, 4GB RAM and BC2 is smooth.  I think Sodium's right as I can see the game utilsing all my cores when things get busy.

jvsexy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By jvsexy

okk, i think ill try running it in DX9. Btw, Win7 already comes with DX11,but my card is DX10. So when i run my games, are they using DX9,10, or 11 ?? kinda confused hia 8-)

spazmaster666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By spazmaster666
    @jvsexy said:

" okk, i think ill try running it in DX9. Btw, Win7 already comes with DX11,but my card is DX10. So when i run my games, are they using DX9,10, or 11 ?? kinda confused hia 8-) "

If your card doesn't support DX11, then the game will run in DX10 by default (or rather you won't be able to access any DX11-exclusive features).
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#20  Edited By Geno

Drivers people, drivers. Every issue I've heard with BFBC2 has been resolved by updating drivers so far. It seems all of you have Nvidia cards, so I would recommend the last stable driver which was 196.21. Remember to download and install the one for your corresponding OS and bit version. 

jvsexy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By jvsexy
    @Chainblast said:
    "

Try forcing the game into DX9 through the games' settings.ini, found in your "My Documents" BC2 folder. Worked well for myself.

"
    WOW....that did the trick man!! Thanks so much. I now have enabled all settings to high and also enabled vsync & hbao. And everythings quite smooth!! THanks again.

@Geno : thx for the advice but i already have those drivers installed. i guess it was a DX issue. Thx to Chainblast again.

this was the line i changed in settings.ini : 
    DxVersion=9
    BawlZINmotion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By BawlZINmotion
    @jvsexy said:
    " @Chainblast said:
    "

"
    WOW....that did the trick man!! Thanks so much. I now have enabled all settings to high and also enabled vsync & hbao. And everythings quite smooth!! THanks again.  @Geno : thx for the advice but i already have those drivers installed. i guess it was a DX issue. Thx to Chainblast again.  this was the line i changed in settings.ini :  DxVersion=9 "

No problem man. It's quite shocking how badly DX10 cripples this game, no? :P
    jvsexy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By jvsexy

somethings are just weird ! well just for fun, I changed the line 'DxVersion=9' to 'DxVersion=10'.  So i basically forced it into DX10. 

Well guess what??? Its working perfectly fine now ! And I have also turned the anisotrophic filtering to 16Qx - the highest setting !(couldnt do this on DX9) and its working fine...so basically all my settings are maxed out with DX10.

I see the difference cz on DX9 the gun models are really blurry, but in DX10, the gun models are more detailed & sharp. 

Im confused how this all happened but its working fine now & ive got no complaints for now :)

Gregomasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#24  Edited By Gregomasta
    @jvsexy: I play on medium at a superb frame rate.  9800gt, Core 2 Quad Q6700 @ 2.66GHz, 4gigs ram windows 7 64bit. 

Glad to see you're playing well now.
    RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By RsistncE
    @Geno said:

" Drivers people, drivers. Every issue I've heard with BFBC2 has been resolved by updating drivers so far. It seems all of you have Nvidia cards, so I would recommend the last stable driver which was 196.21. Remember to download and install the one for your corresponding OS and bit version.  "

This. I'm running the game on high settings at 1680x1050 on a Q6600 (stock), 2GB ram, and a 9800GX2 on WinXP. I average about 40-50 FPS.
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By HitmanAgent47

I also have a 9800GTX, used to have a 9800GX2, still, i'm glad if that works for you, it's going to work for me by changing the config.

jt1080

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By jt1080
    @spazmaster666 said:
    "considering the visuals aren't particularly impressive by today's standards. "
    For serious, brah? The graphics are insanely good. I find them more appealing and impressive than even MW2. And I'm not even playing on DX10/highest settings.
    korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By korwin

5 gig of ram raises an eye brow..

To run that amount one would have to assume your running an odd number of mis-matched dimms, which is a really bad idea.  If its a 2x2+1 dimm situation pull the 1 gig, if what i've described is the case you wouldnt be running in dual channel mode which would effectively halve you memory bandwidth.

spazmaster666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By spazmaster666
    @jt1080 said:
    For serious, brah? The graphics are insanely good. I find them more appealing and impressive than even MW2. And I'm not even playing on DX10/highest settings. "
    I'm not saying the graphics aren't good, just nothing spectacular. The only visuals that stand out for me in the game are some of the backdrops. I'm not saying the game lacks technical proficiency just that nothing about it pops out at me.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.