Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Battlefield: Bad Company 2

Game » consists of 26 releases. Released Mar 02, 2010

Battlefield: Bad Company 2 is the second installment in this spin-off Battlefield series. It has a more serious campaign and a vastly expanded multiplayer system.

Looking for impressions of the Windows version.

infininja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By infininja

I see videos on Machinima Respawn of people playing the Windows version, and there are all sorts of things that seem a lot better than the 360 version. Being able to join specific squads rather than me and a buddy joining up, getting stuck in a 2 man squad while there are probably other 2 man squads out there that we could hop into. Obviously some of the controls would be better, I particularly don't like having to hit left on the Dpad for 40mms and RPGs... (why can't I at least map it to right??).

On the other hand, I've heard murmurs of incompatibility and general disappointment (though that might just be that it's not Battlefield 3).

Of course, currently I couldn't even run the game at all, but I'm thinking about getting a new computer anyways, so I just wanted some impressions about the differences. (I already know the game is great and I love playing it. :p)

Edit: Come to think of it, the controls ARE customizable right? Like, if I wanted to do something weird like putting weapons on mouse buttons or reload or something?

clarkanoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By clarkanoid
    @Infininja:
    Here is my impression of the Windows version of Bad Company 2: 

"BANG! Ratatatata - "We're taking fire here" Pew pew, burururururrur. Chk-chk-chk-chk-chk "Enemy chopper!" Ratatatata BOOOOOOM! Wheeeeeeee. Peeyow, peeyow. Ratatatatata! Vroom vroom, screeeech, vroom vroom, ratatata, chug chug chug. Tink tink tink "GRENADE!" BOOOOOM! "Man down!"" 

Hope that helps in your purchasing decision, dude.
    sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By sodiumCyclops

So far, the only issues I have is with Dice not catering to the PC version as much as the console versions. Now this could be due to the dedicated servers system or a whole host of technicalities but either way, it should be sorted out pronto.

It runs great (maybe not so well early on) since the patches.

Controls are great.

It all really depends on your control preference or whether you consider the graphics to be a massive step up on PC, which it isn't really.

Jayross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By Jayross

I can't help you when it comes to customizing the controls... but having 16 players on a team, means you have a whole another squad. 

So 32>24. 

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By mikemcn

Oh hey, its one of my clones, anywho, Bad Company 2 is great on PC,  bigger battles, better graphics, better controls, and its on PC where battlefield is meant to be.

That said, server browser? Kinda Janky.

Aeterna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Aeterna
    @Mikemcn said:
    " Oh hey, its one of my clones, anywho, Bad Company 2 is great on PC,  bigger battles, better graphics, better controls, and its on PC where battlefield is meant to be.  That said, server browser? Kinda Janky. "
    What Mike said. 

That server browser is... bad, You look for hardcore servers you end up in.. non-hardcore sometimes. But after a little while you'll know which are the servers to be on regardless, so that point only matters at the start. ;)
    Avatar image for deactivated-5f00787182625
    deactivated-5f00787182625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I've had no problems with it running on my machine, but it's a killer on the processor. I have a 2.8GHz dual core and it bottlenecks to 30FPS with a 9800GT.

SunKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#8  Edited By SunKing

Bad Company 2 is excellent on the PC, from my experience. Server browser has had some issues, but with the latest patch I haven't encountered any problems with it or the game in general. Personally, I think it's the best military-themed FPS on the platform atm.

infininja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By infininja

Oh hey, my thread got responses.

Does this thing need a powerhouse of a computer to run? This is my first computer that can run any "hardcore" games. My video card is a real bottleneck right now that I'll probably upgrade, but I'm also worried about my processor that I probably won't.

Diagnostic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Diagnostic
    @Infininja:
    Can you post your specs?
    Avatar image for jimmytheexploder
    JimmyTheExploder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By JimmyTheExploder

End of the day its a multiplayer FPS of course you should be playing the windows version, mouse and keyboard!!!

infininja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By infininja

Well I kinda blind bought this, so I'm mostly just going off what my computer is telling me. :p

Windows 7 XP 64-bit
    Intel Core i3 CPU      540 @ 3.07 GHz    3.06 GHz   (this kinda confuses me)
    4 GB DDR3
    ATI Radeon HD 5400 (a friend said the 5770 has a good bang for buck ratio, so I was considering getting that)

I haven't even opened up the case to look inside yet, and there's a freaking window on it so that's how lazy I'm being.

SunKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#13  Edited By SunKing

Best thing to do would be to go to  http://www.yougamers.com/ and do a benchmark test on the game there. 

From just a quick look of your hardware and what I can find online, I'd say your graphics card is a major issue, and then maybe your processor. It all depends on what resolution you want to run the game at, and at what detail levels, but you're most likely to see the greatest increases in performances by upgrading the graphics card. RAM's fine, though.

Avatar image for jimmytheexploder
    JimmyTheExploder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By JimmyTheExploder
    @Infininja: Your friend gave good advice the 5770 is probably the best card for price/performance value out there, so go for it.
    Diagnostic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Diagnostic
    @Infininja:
    The 5400 is pretty awful. With the 5770 you should be able to play it just fine.
    kishan6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By kishan6
    @clarkanoid said:
    " @Infininja:
    Here is my impression of the Windows version of Bad Company 2: 

"BANG! Ratatatata - "We're taking fire here" Pew pew, burururururrur. Chk-chk-chk-chk-chk "Enemy chopper!" Ratatatata BOOOOOOM! Wheeeeeeee. Peeyow, peeyow. Ratatatatata! Vroom vroom, screeeech, vroom vroom, ratatata, chug chug chug. Tink tink tink "GRENADE!" BOOOOOM! "Man down!""  Hope that helps in your purchasing decision, dude. "
    that was surprisingly entertaining

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.