Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

BattleTech

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Apr 24, 2018

The first turn-based BattleTech game for PC in over twenty years.

New BATTLETECH Multiplayer Beta/Alpha footage

beanswater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

In their latest Kickstarter Update (I don't THINK it's backer only please don't sue me) HB showed off a game between a couple developers showing how a lot of the systems work together. They highlight how the cover, movement, bracing, different defense and defense nullification powers, plenty of shooting and even melee. Death from above was teased but not shown because it would have probably cost the guy a mech, so I don't blame him.

I'm personally really looking forward to this. We had the board game back in the day but I was too young to play it and never really had anyone to play it with. Mechwarrior Online was a lot of fun for a while but it's basically counter-strike with robots, I'm too old and slow for that. Some tactics, maybe even strategy, and beautiful stompy robots blasting the hell out of each other.
    There weren't any details I could find on the site but it's going to be another "You're a mercenary salvage these parts and take contracts" game which is fine by me.

Mechlab hasn't made any appearance that I'm aware of and this game was played with all stock variants of mechs, so we'll have to see. Hopefully it won't devolve into every mech having eight medium lasers or twenty machine guns ripping Atlases to shreds.

Anyone else excited? Backer Beta is coming up June 1 but I didn't back at that level, hopefully somebody else has and can share!

CujoPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hell, I didn't know this was even a thing...

I totally would have backed this.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

Looking very good. I thought their Shadowrun games were never so strong from a gameplay perspective and that held them back but this looks like a good step up from that as a tactical game.

kcin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

this looks SO COOL. I'm really excited about the apparent simplicity of the combat.

beanswater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Holy beans, when I was checking the kickstarter to see if I was breaking NDA or some other BS I saw the link to annotation of the video by another one of the devs going deep into detail about what's happening on the screen. Reading it separately now and there is a ton of clarification and details I missed completely watching the video. Sensor details especially (Right when they first make contact it SEEMS as if you get to know everything about the enemy, but that's actually a mechwarrior perk), but also line of sight details (three levels of LOS), movement details, etc.

HIGHLY recommended if you find the video interesting at all:

https://community.battletechgame.com/forums/threads/6547

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

So, you control the battlefield units more like a commander on a sandtable? If so that seems like the way I'd want to play.

frytup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They also did a demo at PDXCON last weekend.

beanswater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@monkeyking1969: yes, almost exactly. It's a little more granular than that. No walking around or aiming, just placing and choosing facing which affects hit placement and how you take damage. Very similar to the old table top game with some updates and changes.

Maybe less strategic and more tactical than a straight wargame but definitely not a shooter or anything

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

This looks awesome. Really glad to see Battletech on the rise.

boatorious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I didn't even realize this was going to be a strategy game. Really neat. I feel like MWO was specifically designed to be the one BattleTech game I had no interest in playing. If there had been single player, or multi-player co-op, or it had been more arcadey, or hadn't been F2P, I might've tried it. But all those things together soured me on it.

beanswater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@boatorious: I liked that game so much for so long for no reason but there was nothing else. It was Mechwarrior, it had gorgeous mechs (the models/designs from MWO are what's used for Battletech btw) and I could stomp around and shoot lasers and missiles and I was so happy.

But it was multiplayer only - basically deathmatch with mechs at the time - and it was all "PPC is the new meta" and then "LRMs op is new meta" and "Dude just put three AC/5s on it" and all this other bullshit that comes along with playing a game with other human beings over the Internet. Like I said in the op, I'm old and slow now and feel like I barely have time to play a game let alone fuck around with learning how to jump jet over a ridge and shoot my dual PPCs and do that for the whole match but lose anyway because now small lasers on Jenners are IN and that's just how it is. Hopefully it doesn't sound like I'm trying to be above all that, I just can't justify it anymore.

Whatever juvenile love of absurd robot battle machines lives in me is definitely piqued and my desire for something not cutthroat competitive is definitely hopeful

Zelnox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wonder if the game is being showed at E3 and if the duders will get to see it. I played a lot of Mechwarrior Online, but no longer have a PC that can run it. Pretty excited for this too.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

@zelnox:

Loading Video...
    Loading Video...

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

I am really waiting for them to start showing some mech customization.

It's not a proper Battletech game until I can strip down my Catapult to just the heatsinks and LRMs.

BoboBones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By BoboBones

This looks great. I've really been enjoying Shadowrun Dragonfall.

BlurryW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

April 2018 !!

The game actually looks pretty good. The UI look usable, the graphics look pretty good and the gameplay looks like its there.

Mordja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Mordja

So, this is out in a few, short days. Hope GB gives it a look. I could see it being a Vinny game?

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

This looks great!

Mordja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Mordja

I'm definitely looking forward to it. Here's their most recent trailer, since the thread has been dead for a while:

Loading Video...

frytup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I backed it and almost forgot about it. No way I'll have time to get into it this week, but looking forward to playing it... eventually.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.