Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

BioShock

Franchise »

Bioshock is a series of award winning first person shooters published by 2K Games. The first and third games were developed by Ken Levine's Irrational Games, while the second installment was handled by 2K Marin.

Already this is one of the most convoluted franchises I've seen.

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Arkthemaniac

Okay. I really, really liked Bioshock. Even with its flaws, it was an enjoyable objectivist romp through Atlantis that doesn't come around very often. Now, with the "new" announcement of a sequel, and everyone being excited, I have to say that anyone who didn't see this coming is a little thick. One of the lead designers already said that the movie, Bioshock, would be released at the same time as the sequel. The catch, though, is that he said it would release at the same time as Bioshock 3. Here's a link. When I first read that-- which was a while ago, possibly half a year-- I was dumbfounded. I honestly couldn't believe just what he was saying. Now, you have people from 2K saying that the second game is, and I quote, "Destined for the Playstation 3, Xbox 360 and Windows PC platforms." I was equally dumbfounded when I read that. Here's another link to verify the facts. Now, it finally hit me. The guys that made Bioshock are douchebags, plain and simple. They're cocky and really lame. The fact that Bioshock has some of the best presentation of narrative in years yet they still feel the need to milk the fuck outta the license by releasing a MOVIE!?! I'm against basically all video game-to-X, but movies are the worst. Even worse is one like Bioshock where there's actual credibility to the presentation. It's milkage. Naming a trilogy is milkage. 2K is milkage. All this adds to Bioshock's lessening in my eyes just because of the cocky developers/publishers and the blatant milk.

Also, I know you'll all disagree, but oh well.
    Megalon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Megalon

I will admit there is some milkage going on, but I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt for the time being...maybe they have a legitimately good story that spans three games? Even if that wasn't their initial intention, you can't blame a company for trying to expand a huge hit into something more. Well, you can, but I think just about any game company would be doing the same (I can't imagine what you would be saying if EA made this game...).

And of the video game movies I've heard about, a Bioshock movie for some reason strikes me as the most promising. It's got a cool story, atmosphere, and as long as Uwe Boll doesn't direct it, I'll probably be interested in seeing it. 

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3  Edited By Linkyshinks

Well don't knock the movie yet, if it has the right people behind it it could be quite good. On the other matter, it is disappointing how they are drawing this out, but I do think with good writing and further innovation it could be awesome.

godzilla_sushi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 19

#4  Edited By godzilla_sushi

Man, you just look to get in a fight every day around here.

I'm going to disagree with this whole insult towards the guys that made Bioshock. Amazing, that in your eyes a small few people can comment and everyone is immediately grouped together. I doubt the guys that made Bioshock are somehow bad people, plain and simple.

You should let your money speak for itself and never buy another Bioshock game again.

As for milking,

I'm kind of glad Valve milked their series....
    Kind of glad Sonic got milked on the Genesis
    Kind of glad Call of Duty got milked up into Modern Warfare
    Kind of glad Mario has been milked
    Kind of glad Gran Turismo got milked
    Kind of glad Halo got milked
    Kind of glad every successful video game in history has been milked really.

As far as the movie goes, the people attached to that movie are about as good as anyone could hope for. Why are you compelled to complain about the movie? Is there even a script out yet?

You should repost this when you know it wasn't worth it to make another Bioshock.....but until then.....

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5  Edited By Dalai

There's nothing wrong with a little milkage... once Bioshock goes into spinoff land, then it goes too far.  The only problem with the Bioshock "cockiness" is that they already planned this to be a trilogy.  Too many developers think big before it becomes popular.  Luckily for Bioshock it was successful, but for every Bioshock is a Too Human and that's where the problem lies.

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Arkthemaniac
    Godzilla_Sushi said:
    "Man, you just look to get in a fight every day around here.

I'm going to disagree with this whole insult towards the guys that made Bioshock. Amazing, that in your eyes a small few people can comment and everyone is immediately grouped together. I doubt the guys that made Bioshock are somehow bad people, plain and simple.

You should let your money speak for itself and never buy another Bioshock game again.

As for milking,

As far as the movie goes, the people attached to that movie are about as good as anyone could hope for. Why are you compelled to complain about the movie? Is there even a script out yet?

You should repost this when you know it wasn't worth it to make another Bioshock.....but until then....."
    I'm fine with another Bioshock. I'm fine with a thousand more Bioshocks. The problem is the bastards already making plans for when these things will be released, which would be years off. It just seems like they're living in a their own fantasy world. Also, I guess they're thinking about a Bioshock MMO as well? That's just "thinking" for course, but still. As for the movie, THERE IS NO POINT, except MONEY. They could probably make more money from a movie than a game. I ask why they don't just make the movie into Bioshock 4, but they probably already have that planned out so Bioshock 5 or 8 or something? As for your examples, these are good examples of not understanding what I mean. Did the guys at Infinity Ward say, "Yeah, the fourth installment will be modern," while producing CoD2? No. Did Shigeru Miyamoto say that Mario would go to space on the console after the console after the N64, while the N64 was being made? No! That is what they're doing. It sounds ridiculous when you put it in scope of history. 
    Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Milkman

Well, I'm going to buy BioShock 2, BioShock 3 and go see the movie. So, I guess 2K wins.

godzilla_sushi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By godzilla_sushi
    Arkthemaniac said:
    "Godzilla_Sushi said:
    "Man, you just look to get in a fight every day around here.

As for milking,

You should repost this when you know it wasn't worth it to make another Bioshock.....but until then....."
    I'm fine with another Bioshock. I'm fine with a thousand more Bioshocks. The problem is the bastards already making plans for when these things will be released, which would be years off. It just seems like they're living in a their own fantasy world. Also, I guess they're thinking about a Bioshock MMO as well? That's just "thinking" for course, but still. As for the movie, THERE IS NO POINT, except MONEY. They could probably make more money from a movie than a game. I ask why they don't just make the movie into Bioshock 4, but they probably already have that planned out so Bioshock 5 or 8 or something? As for your examples, these are good examples of not understanding what I mean. Did the guys at Infinity Ward say, "Yeah, the fourth installment will be modern," while producing CoD2? No. Did Shigeru Miyamoto say that Mario would go to space on the console after the console after the N64, while the N64 was being made? No! That is what they're doing. It sounds ridiculous when you put it in scope of history. "
    Bleh, who cares what the franchise is? Do I need to be that specific for you to get the point? Your a smart guy, you know exactly what I meant by it.

It's frustrating that I won't be able to change your mind at all. But dude, would you relax?! Let them milk it, doesn't mean you can insult a bunch of people anyway.

Plus, why did this get you so compelled to start a thread about it?

As for the movie, I'm glad you don't speak for the rest of us with "there is no point except money." If you were in control we'd never know what it would be.

One more thing, that movie is about money as just about every other movie is. The purpose is to make more money then you spent on them......geeze man. Barely a thing to argue about if the first thing you go to is the money.
    Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Arkthemaniac
    Godzilla_Sushi said:
    Bleh, who cares what the franchise is? Do I need to be that specific for you to get the point? Your a smart guy, you know exactly what I meant by it.

It's frustrating that I won't be able to change your mind at all. But dude, would you relax?! Let them milk it, doesn't mean you can insult a bunch of people anyway.

Plus, why did this get you so compelled to start a thread about it?

As for the movie, I'm glad you don't speak for the rest of us with "there is no point except money." If you were in control we'd never know what it would be.

One more thing, that movie is about money as just about every other movie is. The purpose is to make more money then you spent on them......geeze man. Barely a thing to argue about if the first thing you go to is the money."
    I really don't. Sorry. Nothing is the same as what they are doing. Through concept, they are, but through execution, it's the opposite sides of the field. All of those developers simply went and did. These guys have planned out the next 15 years of their development careers and have basically broadcast them to the public. The money comment I made was unclear and I'm sorry for it. If people were to invest money in a Bioshock movie, it would hurt both industries. It would hurt the game industry by slicing off a little credit to the BioShock games since they are no longer an exclusive to the medium, and it would hurt the movie industry by putting out another friggin adaptation. Basically all movies nowadays are adaptations of other media. Film is dying because no one has the balls to churn out a new idea. In fact, it's the same thing going on in music. The most convincing piece of games as art I've ever seen is that the industry is falling victim to the same shit that the others are: a lack of fresh ideas. Also, I don't get why people get excited for movies based on games but not for games based on movies, as well. Have game-to-film adaptations ever been that great? Meanwhile, we have things like Goldeneye, but that's another topic entirely. I would rather see the funds from a BioShock movie go into a new idea or a fresh story. That seems completely, wholly more reasonable than paying for two hours of fan service.
    godzilla_sushi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By godzilla_sushi

Hmmm, well, that's how Bioshock can shake the trend of bad adaptations. The argument works with virtually everything, Max Payne the most recent. But I just can't see Bioshock turning out to be any failure. Too many creative smart people involved. We're lucky actually, of all the properties Bioshock is the most promising!

Film isn't dead either, not for me. I'm not going for film snob here, but you got to look for it. It's out there. Heh, it's just that everything you see on TV and posters is adapted. But it's saturation of a handful of movies each year that make it seem that way, I really believe that. For every Max Payne, you'd probably find 4-5 other movies that came out the same weekend in limited release etc. But that's a whole other argument as well.

For that Bioshock movie, who knows, maybe that will be the prequel everyone wanted to see in a game.

As a gamer, the flood of casual focused games are a bigger deal with milking then 2K is doing, to me at least. I'd take this argument and just go after a game that ends in a "z".

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Arkthemaniac

Games that end in "z" don't matter because we all take on faith that they suck. It's the prestigous names that I have to knock. I agree that film isn't dead, but I didn't say that. I said it's dying. One of the funniest, most brilliant movies I've ever seen came out at most two years ago (NOT SUPERBAD). It's just that when you look to see what the big projects are, they're almost always licensed. Harry Potter, The Dark Knight, Iron Man, etc. It's this trend that I don't want happening to games, or any game. BioShock is one of them. The point I've been trying to make about the BioShock movie is that you will almost guaranteed have a batter time with a new game than a movie. Who would take a movie version of The Legend of Zelda in place of a new Legend of Zelda game? I don't think anyone would sincerely want that. I don't think people should want to shake the trend of bad game-to-movie adaptations, because the movie could never pay homage to the source material enough. I don't know about you, but if they said that there would be a prequel to BioShock, and then said it wouldn't be a game, I would be pissed. Really pissed. I don't understand why someone would want a movie that they already know the premise of over a new creation. The producers don't like new creations.

Avatar image for deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5
    deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

What is wrong with making a product for money, exactly?

And Survival Crisis Z is a great game.

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Arkthemaniac

Making a product for money is encouraged by me, but film is considered art nowadays. Making art primarily for money is called being a sellout. It's a stupid label, really, but there's truth to it. The only people who can make something genuine that is fueled solely by money is a bum who hasn't eaten in weeks.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Your argument isn't really showing how the franchise is "convoluted".  A convoluted franchise would be something like the Matrix Trilogy, or maybe an even more apt example is the Resident Evil film trilogy, which has spun the mythos way out into left field. 

This to me, is just more akin to the hubris a lot of modern game designers seem to have when they divine their product is the first of a long line of installments (Too Human, Advent Rising, et al).  The difference here is that Ken Levine and the dudes at 2K sort of have that ability now, since Bioshock was pretty good and did pretty well.

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Arkthemaniac
    Sir_Ragnarok said:
    "Your argument isn't really showing how the franchise is "convoluted".  A convoluted franchise would be something like the Matrix Trilogy, or maybe an even more apt example is the Resident Evil film trilogy, which has spun the mythos way out into left field. 

This to me, is just more akin to the hubris a lot of modern game designers seem to have when they divine their product is the first of a long line of installments (Too Human, Advent Rising, et al).  The difference here is that Ken Levine and the dudes at 2K sort of have that ability now, since Bioshock was pretty good and did pretty well."
    Yeah, I couldn't think of a better word. Sorry.
    Avatar image for deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5
    deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Arkthemaniac said:
    "Making a product for money is encouraged by me, but film is considered art nowadays. Making art primarily for money is called being a sellout. It's a stupid label, really, but there's truth to it. The only people who can make something genuine that is fueled solely by money is a bum who hasn't eaten in weeks."

What in the hell are you talking about it. Sellout? Genuine? What is genuine? What does it mean to be a "sellout"? These are meaningless. Artists make art for money. Sure, they may enjoy it, but that is beside the point.
    godzilla_sushi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By godzilla_sushi
    Arkthemaniac said:
    "Games that end in "z" don't matter because we all take on faith that they suck. It's the prestigous names that I have to knock. I agree that film isn't dead, but I didn't say that. I said it's dying. One of the funniest, most brilliant movies I've ever seen came out at most two years ago (NOT SUPERBAD). It's just that when you look to see what the big projects are, they're almost always licensed. Harry Potter, The Dark Knight, Iron Man, etc. It's this trend that I don't want happening to games, or any game. BioShock is one of them. The point I've been trying to make about the BioShock movie is that you will almost guaranteed have a batter time with a new game than a movie. Who would take a movie version of The Legend of Zelda in place of a new Legend of Zelda game? I don't think anyone would sincerely want that. I don't think people should want to shake the trend of bad game-to-movie adaptations, because the movie could never pay homage to the source material enough. I don't know about you, but if they said that there would be a prequel to BioShock, and then said it wouldn't be a game, I would be pissed. Really pissed. I don't understand why someone would want a movie that they already know the premise of over a new creation. The producers don't like new creations."
    Well, on this one I guess we will just agree to disagree.

Plus, looks like you have your hands full with a few other posters in this thread now. ;)
    Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By Vinchenzo
    Arkthemaniac said:
    "Also, I know you'll all disagree, but oh well."
    Glad you already know that you're wrong.
    The_Icon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#19  Edited By The_Icon

I dont think 2K actually milking Bioshock. Trilogy is common for every entertainment piece which are too big to fit in a single game/film . Also the way the game ended, I am really really hyped for Bioshock 2!

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#20  Edited By brukaoru

I never liked the idea of a sequel, and now they are making DLC, announcement of Bioshock 3, a movie... I just really feel the spirit of what made Bioshock so great will be taken away. Also, I like the good ending, so I don't know how they are going to make it work unles they go off the bad ending or something... Bah... All I know is, I am not looking forward to the sequels.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By toowalrus

What does it matter if they milk the license? As long as they put out good stuff, what does it matter? We haven't even seen anything new yet to judge. I'd start complaining when Bioshock Socceris announced.

Tornac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#22  Edited By Tornac

I don't care about any of that shit. Bioshock is my favorite game of all-time, and that isn't going to change over night.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.