Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

BioShock

Game » consists of 33 releases. Released Aug 21, 2007

Venture into the mysterious, Utopian underwater city of Rapture and discover what has turned it into ruin in this first-person epic.

BIOSHOCK's Save system is horrendous! (HELP)

SimpsonFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By SimpsonFan

So, i am far into the game, my friend coms over to try the game out and so he starts a new game right? well apparently you can't save 2 differnt games and once and it autosaved over my playthrough! WTF! So now I'm at Welcome to Rapture and have no montivation to replay all the hours I spent with it. 

Why can't you have 2 campaign's at once and have differnt save's! ARE YOU SERIOUS!?

Doe's anyone know where i can find chapter game save's for PS3 so i can start at where i left off?

dwreck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 15

#2  Edited By dwreck

The game lets you have as many save files as you want.  You don't have to rely on the autosave.

Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Gizmo

Yep, it's completely your fault if your saves are gone, Bioshock has the standard save system that most console games has, slightly better even.

freezerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By freezerr

I believe Fallout 3 does the same thing, if you fail to hard save.

SimpsonFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By SimpsonFan

I'm talking about PS3 and my friend was playing a new game and it just autosaved over my previous data from my other save and me and him did nothing.

VaHughes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By VaHughes
    SimpsonFan said:
    "I'm talking about PS3."
    That is what is wrong there haha. You should play through it again though, it is a very well put together game and I think it has a good ending.
    AndrewGaspar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By AndrewGaspar

Uh... I don't own Bioshock, but it sounds to me like all of your saves are simply autosaves and you failed to ever use the hard save feature.

Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Hexpane

phail, you can hard save anywhere you want

Emiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Emiel

Everytime I stop playing Bioshock I manually save it as well, besides the auto-save. You should've done that.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#10  Edited By Geno

Do you know the difference between a hard save an an autosave?

daniel_beck_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11  Edited By daniel_beck_90

Save tips for all video games  : 
    1-Never ever rely on Auto save
    2- Save often and save in at least 3 different slots , not only this helps you to reload game faster but also prevent a complete replay when you encounter with glitches and bugs
    3- Quick save -Quick load  Sux

Chummy8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#12  Edited By Chummy8

Never, ever rely on the autosave.  One would think every gamer would know that rule.  Damn, I religiously use 5 different save files which I rotate just to make sure.

Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Hexpane

an auto save killed my Diablo game on the PSone a while back.  The only reason was due to the PSone limited memory card file, not enough room for multiple hard saves...   I had saved before going down to a floor where I had pulled a billion enemies to the stairs.  As soon as I zone down the stairs, instant death every time... had to restart.

sunshine218

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By sunshine218

I completely know what you're going through!  I played through the game and beat it (awesome), but wanted to play through again.  You know, kill a little sister, go back through the boards....My husband wanted to start playing the game too.  I hard saved throughout, so please stop saying that its this guys fault for not hard saving.  that's not the problem.  The problem is that when someone starts a new game, it overwrites different save data instead of creating a new save data and saving to the newly created one.  There is no going around it that i've been able to figure out.  Even if you load a game, the game will save over a different save data, and not the one you loaded.  Which is stupid!!!!!!  Perfect example of how a saved game feature should work is ratchet and clank.  You load whatever game you're playing, and lo and behold, it only saves on the data you loaded from, not randomly selecting a different save data.  Sorry, Simpsonfan, it completely sucks.  Hubby has to wait for me to play through again before he starts the game.  If you ever figure out a way to get around it, please let me know. 

ZombieHunterOG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ZombieHunterOG

sunshine you wrong.... also 

you did not need to resurrect a week old topic that had pretty much been settled 
    sunshine218

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By sunshine218
    JackiJinx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

#17  Edited By JackiJinx

You want to know how more than one save can be used? Ok, instead of hitting Continue, hit Load. Load the save file, not continue.

sunshine218

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By sunshine218

thanks, i've tried that, but my problem is that when i load from any of my hard saves, when the game automatically saves it overwrites a different file.  not the one i loaded from.  which is why its impossible for 2 people to play 2 different games on bioshock.  i was told that maybe doing a different profile on ps3 itself would solve the problem.  its just a little frustrating to have to do that because there's some flaw in the save area of bioshock.  i've never had any other game do that.  i thought that maybe if the save slot is the top one, that would be the one the game would do the autosaves to, but no luck. 

Does that make sense? 

Coltonio7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By Coltonio7
    HARD SAVE OFTEN
    Lieutenant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Lieutenant

Pretty sure it was your fault. I've played threw the game 3 times (X360 version) with 4 different saves (3 hard/manual saves and the autosave) and never have had any problems whatsoever.

Maybe the PS3 has this problem, who knows.

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#21  Edited By RHCPfan24
    Coltonio7 said:
    "HARD SAVE OFTEN"
    That should solve all your problems. It is worth playing the whole thing. A fantastic game.
    Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Hexpane
    sunshine218 said:
    "

Look, I was trying to find an answer myself to the problem.  If you know the correct way for two different people to play two different games on Bioshock for PS3, I'm all ears.  I've tried everything so that when I play it wouldn't overwrite what someone else already started.  But it overwrites it everytime.  I didnt see this topic as settled as there was no solution to the problem presented.  And no one seemed to account for the fact that this guy didnt do anything wrong, the game itself saved over whatever file, and not the one that you loaded from.  It's happened to me many times, so please explain how i'm wrong?  And, if anything, why not have an option to disable the autosave feature? 

Load, not continue
    lebkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By lebkin
    sunshine218 said:
    "thanks, i've tried that, but my problem is that when i load from any of my hard saves, when the game automatically saves it overwrites a different file.  not the one i loaded from.  which is why its impossible for 2 people to play 2 different games on bioshock.  i was told that maybe doing a different profile on ps3 itself would solve the problem.  its just a little frustrating to have to do that because there's some flaw in the save area of bioshock.  i've never had any other game do that.  i thought that maybe if the save slot is the top one, that would be the one the game would do the autosaves to, but no luck. 

Does that make sense? "
    No, I am not sure what you are having trouble with.  Let me see if I can help you, though my experience is only with the 360 version.  Bioshock has an autosave feature.  This autosave is separate from all of the hard saves.  Under a single profile, there can only be one autosave.  The hard saves are seperate and you can have as many of those as you want.  Note that when you save a game, it does not show the autosave, only hard saves.  The autosave does appear when you go to load a game.  This can screw you up if you are not paying attention, since there are different lists on different pages.  Pay attention to save dates and locations, since that can help you stay on the right game.
    Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Hexpane
    lebkin said:
    "sunshine218 said:
    "thanks, i've tried that, but my problem is that when i load from any of my hard saves, when the game automatically saves it overwrites a different file.  not the one i loaded from.  which is why its impossible for 2 people to play 2 different games on bioshock.  i was told that maybe doing a different profile on ps3 itself would solve the problem.  its just a little frustrating to have to do that because there's some flaw in the save area of bioshock.  i've never had any other game do that.  i thought that maybe if the save slot is the top one, that would be the one the game would do the autosaves to, but no luck. 

Does that make sense? "
    No, I am not sure what you are having trouble with.  Let me see if I can help you, though my experience is only with the 360 version.  Bioshock has an autosave feature.  This autosave is separate from all of the hard saves.  Under a single profile, there can only be one autosave.  The hard saves are seperate and you can have as many of those as you want.  Note that when you save a game, it does not show the autosave, only hard saves.  The autosave does appear when you go to load a game.  This can screw you up if you are not paying attention, since there are different lists on different pages.  Pay attention to save dates and locations, since that can help you stay on the right game."
    This advice goes for 85% of all games btw.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.