Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

BioShock

Game » consists of 33 releases. Released Aug 21, 2007

Venture into the mysterious, Utopian underwater city of Rapture and discover what has turned it into ruin in this first-person epic.

So has anyone here read "Atlas Shrugged"?

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By natetodamax

I fell in love with the story in Bioshock, and today during study hall at school I looked up Atlas Shrugged on Wikipedia because Bioshock is base off of it. The books seems TOTALLY different. I was wondering if anyone actually read it, and if you would recommend it.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By jakob187

Fuck Ayn Rand.  She was a Red.  Fyodor Dostoyevsky...now THAT'S an author!!!  Crime and Punishment + The Brothers Karamazov = Heaven in literary form.

flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#3  Edited By flaminghobo

My friend has read it and has said it's a fantastic read for those who love BioShock, though it is a bit different.

vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By vidiot

I think the book has been hijacked a bit recently by neo-cons.

Keyser_Soze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Keyser_Soze
    @jakob187 said:
    " Fuck Ayn Rand.  She was a Red. "
    She was anything but.

And yes, BioShock is based off the book Atlus Shrugged, but Ken Levine wanted to explore how a society based on Ayn Rand's ideals would dissolve into anarchy. BioShock the game is very much a critique of Ayn's position, in that a society based off what she saw as an ideal life, society would destroy itself.
    Avatar image for themustachehero
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By TheMustacheHero
    @jakob187 said:
    GAHAHAHA! Objectivism  FTL.
    natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By natetodamax
    @Keyser_Soze said:
    "
    @jakob187 said:
    She was anything but.And yes, BioShock is based off the book Atlus Shrugged, but Ken Levine wanted to explore how a society based on Ayn Rand's ideals would dissolve into anarchy. BioShock the game is very much a critique of Ayn's position, in that a society based off what she saw as an ideal life, society would destroy itself. "
    Oh, so the book basically sets up what she saw as a good life and shows how it would fall apart?
    Snipzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8  Edited By Snipzor

I thought Bioshock shat all over Atlas Shrugged, from beginning to end.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Snail

Wasn't there a thread on this already?

Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By Pibo47
    @jakob187 said:
    " Fuck Ayn Rand.  She was a Red.  Fyodor Dostoyevsky...now THAT'S an author!!!  Crime and Punishment + The Brothers Karamazov = Heaven in literary form. "
    I love both authors you have just named lol.
    Keyser_Soze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Keyser_Soze
    @natetodamax said:
    "
    @Keyser_Soze said:
    "
    @jakob187 said:
    She was anything but.And yes, BioShock is based off the book Atlus Shrugged, but Ken Levine wanted to explore how a society based on Ayn Rand's ideals would dissolve into anarchy. BioShock the game is very much a critique of Ayn's position, in that a society based off what she saw as an ideal life, society would destroy itself. "
    Oh, so the book basically sets up what she saw as a good life and shows how it would fall apart? "
    The book 'Atlus Shrugged' is her philosophy. Primarily Objectivist philosophy. I'm not too well acquainted with it, but I've read parts of it and frankly I don't agree with much of what she says. It's very idealistic, a very rigid conception of what right and wrong is.

BioShock the game is a critique on her philosophy, that a society where one is left to pursue their own pleasures, achievements without bounds will naturally destroy itself. Rapture was that place, the greatest minds on the planet coming together and without boundaries they destroyed it. Rapture before its fall, is pretty much what a utopian Ayn Rand world may look like. Rapture after the excesses, especially scientific excesses is what happens when you let things go too far.
    natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By natetodamax
    @Snail said:
    " Wasn't there a thread on this already? "
    Apparently there was, 8 months ago.
    Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Snail
    @natetodamax said:
    "
    @Snail said:
    " Wasn't there a thread on this already? "
    Apparently there was, 8 months ago. "
    Ah, that long ago? Time flies by.
    BD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#14  Edited By BD

Atlas Shrugged? Simpsons did it.

freezerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By freezerr

Bioshock is a critique of Rand's political positions (her idealized non-state society proves to be unstable), but it seems to agree on a deeper level with her view of humanity and what gives us value and makes us human.

Rand was an atheist libertarian, and as such, has to be considered one of the godfathers of internet culture.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By jakob187
    @Keyser_Soze said:
    "@jakob187 said: 
    She was anything but."
    LOL  Right, so she said she hated communism...and yet she also hated anything that didn't involve self-interest.  Last I checked, communism also happened to be against self-interest...
    Avatar image for kitsune_conundrum
    kitsune_conundrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Atlas shrugged was a pain to finish for me. The characters with the ideals she supported were too perfect, on the verge of being ayran ubermen.

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#18  Edited By Arkthemaniac

I read part of it, but I had to return it. It seemed pretty good.

freezerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By freezerr
    @jakob187 said:
    "
    @Keyser_Soze said:
    "@jakob187 said: 
    She was anything but."
    LOL  Right, so she said she hated communism...and yet she also hated anything that didn't involve self-interest.  Last I checked, communism also happened to be against self-interest...
    "

Which would mean that she hated communism....
    Epic1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Epic1990
    @jakob187: You do realize that her books were anti-communism, right?
    Epic1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Epic1990
    @natetodamax said:
    " I fell in love with the story in Bioshock, and today during study hall at school I looked up Atlas Shrugged on Wikipedia because Bioshock is base off of it. The books seems TOTALLY different. I was wondering if anyone actually read it, and if you would recommend it. "
    I've read The Fountainhead, and went partway into Atlas Shurgged. Her righting style, while technicalla good, and her stories well written are quite boring. It was a struggled to get myself through the latter, and I gave up on finishing the former.
    Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Jayge_

Ayn Rand was the personified example of what happens when a mind is stretched so taught (as though it were a rubber-band) in one direction that when it snaps in the other, it goes just as batshit-fucking-insane as it was before, just negatively charged (assuming that the original was positively charged, not reflecting on the positive or negative statuses of any philosophies though.) Crazy bitch.

vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#23  Edited By vaiz
    @Epic1990 said:
    "
    @natetodamax said:
    " I fell in love with the story in Bioshock, and today during study hall at school I looked up Atlas Shrugged on Wikipedia because Bioshock is base off of it. The books seems TOTALLY different. I was wondering if anyone actually read it, and if you would recommend it. "
    I've read The Fountainhead, and went partway into Atlas Shurgged. Her righting style, while technicalla good, and her stories well written are quite boring. It was a struggled to get myself through the latter, and I gave up on finishing the former. "

You confused your terms a bit. The former would be The Fountainhead, the latter would be Atlas Shrugged. Heil Grammar Nazi.
    Epic1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Epic1990
    @punkxblaze said:
    "
    @Epic1990 said:
    "
    @natetodamax said:
    I've read The Fountainhead, and went partway into Atlas Shurgged. Her righting style, while technicalla good, and her stories well written are quite boring. It was a struggled to get myself through the latter, and I gave up on finishing the former. "
    You confused your terms a bit. The former would be The Fountainhead, the latter would be Atlas Shrugged. Heil Grammar Nazi. "
    YOU'RE A PEICE OF SHIT AND I HATE YOU! JK for real though. I realize my mistake. I have a bad habit of switching things around that exist in a dichotomy.
    Avatar image for deactivated-58efb53e06a03
    deactivated-58efb53e06a03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah I read it a few months ago. I thought it was quite the book.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By jakob187

Eh, fuck it.  I'm too tired to even try to point any of it out.  All I'm saying is that Rand claimed to be anti-communist tons of times...but there is plenty in her writings under the surface that suggests otherwise.  Unfortunately, I've been up until 7 in the morning for the last two weeks trying to get ready for this trip to Ohio that I'm taking on Wednesday, so I'm basically useless in both arguments and in real life at the moment.  Hell, I'm supposed to be doing my closing duties at work right now.  Slacking on that because I just wanna fall asleep...

Maybe another day...
    mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By mordukai

I started reading the book when I read that Angelina Jolie will play Dagny Taggart in the film version and that was it for me. I really don't like her acting and I have yet to watch a movie with her where I was impressed with her acting abilities. 

My wife read it and she say's its good so I'll take her word for it. 
    snide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 14

#28  Edited By snide

As with most interesting fiction, the violent opinions people have one way or the other usually means it's worth the experience of forming one for yourself. You'll either think her idealism is intriguing or that it's something that sets an unfair standard for emulation. I'd recommend reading differing philosopical books so you can compare and contrast from as many viewpoints as possible. As for myself, I very much enjoyed her novels. A lot of the story is pretty fantastical, but the root ideas of individualism she proscribes are something I can still get behind.

For BioShock fans it definitely gives more depth to the story. Rapture is essentially a criticism of the formation of Galt's Gulch.
    drewbert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#29  Edited By drewbert

Dave makes a good point.  I would say that the book does a good job of presenting a political philosophy in the form of a very readable novel that's both entertaining and thought-provoking.  A word of caution, though: it's REALLY LONG.  I found an abridged audiobook version and listened to that during walks to and from class.  That's definitely the way to go if you're interested but don't want to invest months of time reading.  I highly recommend it.

cdstacker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By cdstacker

Bioshock is not based on atlas shrugged or Ayn rand, Andrew Ryan the character is based off Ayn Rand. Bioshock is a criticism of Ayn Rand philosophy, one of extreme capitalism (ever wonder why med-stations cost money to use). Essentially the points (or at least some of them) Bioshock is trying to make is that a society that so idealist is bound to fail because people are humans rather than heroes. Andrew Ryan's concept of a city where people are judged only by their practical merits and captialist successactually is quite tempting, but ultimately it fails not because of "the parasite" (Ayn Rand's word for the poor, weak and anyone else who couldn't live independantly) but because of Fontaine, an incredibly smart, shreud buisnessman and con-man. If you listen to all the audio records in the game you can piece together that eventually Andrew Ryan resorts to using excutive power (or government regulation is you can really consider rapture a government) to protect his own assets and his takes over Fontaine futuristics.

This is "at least what i think" what Bioshock is trying to talk about, just like communism, objectivism (rand's philosophy) sounds great on paper and would be great if everyone followed the rules, but to expect people to do so is not only stupid, it's irresponsible and will end up hurting all of society. This criticism in itself is not actually that new but it is one that constantly need to be brought up to remind philisophers, psychologists, sociologists, scientists and everyone with any power, you are not always right and even if you are in the real world things are always more complicated, to create strict rules based on ideolgies alone only constricts society and makes it more vunerble to corruption.

Dr_Feelgood38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Dr_Feelgood38

I'm in the process of reading the book (or, attempting to for the third or fourth time...) but it really is an interesting read. One just needs unbelievable willpower to finish it.

Dr_Feelgood38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Dr_Feelgood38
    @cdstacker:
    While that is a sound theory, I still think BioShock was based off of Atlas Shrugged. First off, Rapture was created in an effort to reach a laissez-faire sort of capitalism (supported in the philosphy of Objectivism). A few months after that all happened, Fontaine, or Atlas, formed a rebellion of the lower class of Rapture against Andrew Ryan. All in all, I think they share some striking similarities and some pretty big differences, but in my opinion I think the game was based off of the book.

Also worth noting: Whittaker Chambers wrote a review on Ayn Rand called Big Sister Is Watching You. Anything in there sound familiar?
    Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Pibo47
    @snide said:
    " As with most interesting fiction, the violent opinions people have one way or the other usually means it's worth the experience of forming one for yourself. You'll either think her idealism is intriguing or that it's something that sets an unfair standard for emulation. I'd recommend reading differing philosopical books so you can compare and contrast from as many viewpoints as possible. As for myself, I very much enjoyed her novels. A lot of the story is pretty fantastical, but the root ideas of individualism she proscribes are something I can still get behind.

For BioShock fans it definitely gives more depth to the story. Rapture is essentially a criticism of the formation of Galt's Gulch.
    "
    This.
    cdstacker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By cdstacker
    @Dr_Feelgood38: I do think it was written with atlas shrugged in mind, but based of implies more of a retelling, I think Bioshock is more of criticism, remember Andrew Ryan is the one who arguably begins the war when he uses his power as an official to take over Fontaine Futuristics, Atlas/Fontaine comes up with his scheme in retaliation. Of course Ryan's ideology  is based off free state capitalism but he while he is reluctant he ultimately decides it's better that he take control of Futuristics. I think this is the main criticism the game is making as it's showing that now super powerful business is going to willingly lose in competition when "other" methods are available. Ayn Rand's biggest problem is that she has an all or nothing possiblity, she never realised how contricting an ideology is and forgot the benefits of being able to adapt, change and compromise with your ideologies.

The rebellion of the class is interesting because Ayn Rand was an elitist who hated the poor but Andrew Ryan (her metaphorical representation) is over throne not by the rebellion itself  (although his faction barely survives) but instead he is destroyed by Atlas' slave. Atlas builds his power through money originally but is actually victorious because of underhand dirty tactics. Not to mention Dr. Suchong's story arc presents many questions of whether or not people really have control of themselves yet he sells his ablities as a psychologist as a business. Thus the game also asks the question, in an age where peoples intellect and cognitive control is under question the free market can't really work.   
    Dr_Feelgood38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Dr_Feelgood38
    @cdstacker said:
    " @Dr_Feelgood38: I do think it was written with atlas shrugged in mind, but based of implies more of a retelling, I think Bioshock is more of criticism, remember Andrew Ryan is the one who arguably begins the war when he uses his power as an official to take over Fontaine Futuristics, Atlas/Fontaine comes up with his scheme in retaliation. Of course Ryan's ideology  is based off free state capitalism but he while he is reluctant he ultimately decides it's better that he take control of Futuristics. I think this is the main criticism the game is making as it's showing that now super powerful business is going to willingly lose in competition when "other" methods are available. Ayn Rand's biggest problem is that she has an all or nothing possiblity, she never realised how contricting an ideology is and forgot the benefits of being able to adapt, change and compromise with your ideologies. The rebellion of the class is interesting because Ayn Rand was an elitist who hated the poor but Andrew Ryan (her metaphorical representation) is over throne not by the rebellion itself  (although his faction barely survives) but instead he is destroyed by Atlas' slave. Atlas builds his power through money originally but is actually victorious because of underhand dirty tactics. Not to mention Dr. Suchong's story arc presents many questions of whether or not people really have control of themselves yet he sells his ablities as a psychologist as a business. Thus the game also asks the question, in an age where peoples intellect and cognitive control is under question the free market can't really work.    "
    Well said, I suppose I should concede at this point. I guess I saw it as more of a vision of Ayn Rand's philosophy rather than actually basing it off her book but your explanation definitely seems to cover all of the bases. Very well! A criticism it shall be.
    TheGr3mliin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By TheGr3mliin

Its a very good book (you should read no matter what anybody sais because it's quite obviously thought provoking) and at least as far as i understand it Ayn Rand's philosiphy is a great idea, essentially there is no inherant reason for unhappiness all one has to do is decide what stands between themselves and their happiness and overcome it. if everyone looks out for themselves and their own happiness everyone will prosper, obviously like any system this one has problems. The main one being when one is simply unwilling to be selfish and can't stand the thought of some other person failing then unions appear and become corrupted muscle organizations, tax money is wasted on nationalized healthcare and welfare, and laziness is promoted as a cause of all of it.

Secondly people who say there can't be rigid definitions of right and wrong are in my PERSONAL OPINION wrong, simply wrong. There can easily be rigid definitions of right and wrong.
    Teirdome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#37  Edited By Teirdome

Not to be a grammar nazi, but I find all of the typos when talking about this book to be deliciously contradictory.

But I do agree with the general sentiment that the book is worth the read.  If you don't think you can muster the required focus to be able to process the book (and survive the occasionally awful dialog), then there are plenty of summaries available.

Insectecutor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#38  Edited By Insectecutor

I'm upset that the mainstay of gaming plots since space invaders has been "ALIENS/MUTANTS/ZOMBIES/SOMETHING has invaded, here's a bullshit reason, now go kill them all." Thank goodness for well read game designers like Ken Levine for bringing a little depth to the table.

I've considered reading some of Rand's work, but my reading list would have to be pretty dry before that actually happens.

Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Nasar7

If you want to read some good old fashioned Ayn Rand objectivist philosophy but don't wanna read 1000 pages, go for Anthem. That should satisfy any Bioshock induced pseudo-intellectuality.

Insectecutor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Insectecutor
    @Nasar7 said:
    " If you want to read some good old fashioned Ayn Rand objectivist philosophy but don't wanna read 1000 pages, go for Anthem. That should satisfy any Bioshock induced pseudo-intellectuality. "
    Thanks for the advice, and the condescending remark.
    Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Nasar7
    @Insectecutor:
    "
    @Nasar7 said:
    " If you want to read some good old fashioned Ayn Rand objectivist philosophy but don't wanna read 1000 pages, go for Anthem. That should satisfy any Bioshock induced pseudo-intellectuality. "
    Thanks for the advice, and the condescending remark. "
    That wasn't directed solely at you, I wasn't trying to offend you, merely commenting on the unfortunate reality that many people are only aware of her work through a videogame. In all seriousness, if Bioshock makes you want to read about her philosophy then I applaud you. And I do recommend Anthem, its a great read, and much less intimidating/time consuming than Atlas Shrugged or The Fountainhead.
    Insectecutor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Insectecutor
    @Nasar7: I know it wasn't directed directly at me, but it was unnecessary. I don't think it's unfortunate that videogames are turning people on to Ayn Rand. I think it's a fantastic achievement for the medium.
    Capitalism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Capitalism

its better to think of Andrew Ryan as a person who probably agreed with Ayn Rand as opposed to being based upon the book.

Theres really only a few similarities

reign99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By reign99
    @Keyser_Soze:  Bio-Shock can no more be called a criticism of "Atlas Shrugged" then of "My Fair Lady".  The amount of misinformation listed in the posts here rivals some drunken romps I've been involved in, and that's saying something. 

You could always read the book, and then it may be easier to comment on it in a way less misleading to those asking for information on the subject.   

@cdstacker: 

The philosophy itself, at least in the story, is a reminder of exactly what you are saying the criticism of the story should be a reminder of.  It is a philosphy of responsibility and pride, not of greed at the cost of your fellow man.  Reading cliff notes and paragraphs of a monumental story, and then deriving an opinion, does no justice to either the story or those within ear shot of you.  Whether or not you agree, the shreer magnitiude of various peoples around the world who have read the book speaks to its message.  Something this powerful (or controversial) deserves to be read in its entirety with a single mind coming to terms with its meaning, and deciding as an individual.  That people would not take the time to do so, and then seek the opinions of others on the subject (whom also have not read it) is part and parcel of the problems the book itself addresses.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only really prominent similarity is the taking of all the great minds of the world into a sanctuary (which in Bioshocks case didn't work out). I guess there are some underlying Soviet themes also, but whatever.

ManMadeGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#46  Edited By ManMadeGod

I finished all 1,100+ pages. I enjoyed it quite a bit.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ManMadeGod said:
    " I finished all 1,100+ pages. I enjoyed it quite a bit. "
    sweet, I had to skip John Galt's 80+ page Radio talk. I was tired, really enjoying the story, and then I was presented with what seemed like an effing thesis, and I just couldn't do it.
    Avatar image for deactivated-135098
    deactivated-135098

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

For those interested in the role that objectivism plays in BioShock, this is a pretty neat article: 
    http://kotaku.com/354717/no-gods-or-kings-objectivism-in-bioshock

CollyWolly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By CollyWolly

I liked Atlas Shrugged, but I enjoyed The Fountainhead more.  There is a bit of Rand's anger on display in The Fountainhead, but in Atlas Shrugged, her unadulterated rage is on full display.   

Atlas Shrugged is essentially Rand's moral justification for Capitalism.  In that context, I side with her 100%. 
    Keyser_Soze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Keyser_Soze
    @reign99: Maybe you should know that Ken Levine himself has said that many things in the game are a direct reference to Atlas Shrugged, and that it is somewhat a critique of Ayn Rand's philosophy (if you can even call her diatribe that). So before mouthing off, check your facts. Now if you think his critique on Rand's position is ridiculous, shit or whatever, then that's a completely different argument to the one you're not so eloquently presenting.

From Kotaku:

Levine wondered what sorts of people might live in an underwater city, what would drive someone from the rest of the world.

"I started thinking about utopian civilizations," he said. "You have these traditional utopian notions. I've always been a fan of utopian and dystopian literature.

"The more I started thinking about making a compelling place and compelling villain, someone who had a real concrete set of beliefs made sense."

Enter Objectivism. Levine said he had been reading Ayn Rand's books over the past few years and was fascinated with her "intensity and purity of belief."

"The surety she has in her beliefs was fascinating," he said. "She almost spoke like a super villain, like Dr Doom."
    And her characters, Levine believed, projected that same intensity.

"I started to wonder, what happens when you stop questioning yourself? It becomes a set of accepted truths, instead of something you're constantly using in the lab of reality."

Get your facts straight next time.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.