Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

BioWare

Company »

BioWare is a game company that is currently owned by Electronic Arts (EA). It specializes in making role playing games that usually involve deep and engaging stories.

Bioware and sex

Legion_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Legion_

I'm a huge Bioware fan, and I love most of their games, even games that were not as well recieved (Dragon Age II and Mass Effect 3). Anyway, recently I was watching Dave's review of Dragon Age: Origins for some random reason, one thing came to mind.

Sex.

No, not with Dave. Sex in Bioware games. It seems to be in every single game that they've pushed out recently. Mass Effect 1, Mass Effect 2, Mass Effect 3, Dragon Age: Origins and Dragon Age II all have sex scenes in them. Basically what I'm wondering is this:

Do you think has a check list of certain things that needs to be in a game, and if so, do you think sex is on that list? Personally, I think yes and yes.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Sackmanjones

You said sex. Sex rhymes with checks. Checks as in lists. So yes I agree with you.

Vuud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Vuud

Nipples.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4  Edited By Animasta
    buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By buft

@Legion you gestalt consciousnesses and your constant need for input , when will you ever learn, all 1183 Geth programs in this mobile platform clearly doing all their processing in bonary

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Ravenlight

@Animasta: Three replies for this to be posted? Is this a sign that the GB forums are dying?

kojip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By kojip

I think of their use of the subject as more of an experiment. When they try to tell "rich" narratives it's stupid to ignore such a pervasive part of being human (or alive for that matter, unless you're a turkey). Also, avoiding it due to some fear or moral issue doesn't make sense either. In other words, for the games they make, "WHY NOT"?

And honestly, their kind of unearned check-list treatment of it reflects that attitude, I believe.

LikeaSsur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By LikeaSsur

I'd say "relationships" are what's on that check list, but that's just me as a not-horny teenager.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By Justin258

I'm going to take the modest and conservative position that sex should be more implied than shown in games simply because of how awkward finer animations still look.

Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
    the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Sackmanjones said:
    You said sex. Sex rhymes with checks. Checks as in lists. So yes I agree with you.
    Sex also rhymes with cheques  
    Sex = Cheques 
    Therefore, sex sells
    Poppduder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Poppduder
    @Legion_ said:
     It seems to be in every single game that they push out. Mass Effect 1, Mass Effect 2, Mass Effect 3, Dragon Age: Origins and Dragon Age II all have sex scenes in them. B
    You're forgetting AT LEAST 10 games on your list, a lot of which dont include sex.  I dont remember sex in every single Baldur's Gate/Neverwinter game, or Jade Empire.  But yeah, to your point, I think it's almost expected from them as of late.
    Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12  Edited By Animasta

@Ravenlight said:

@Animasta: Three replies for this to be posted? Is this a sign that the GB forums are dying?

I know right

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13  Edited By Oldirtybearon

Sex is a pretty critical part of relationships. Relationships are a big part of Bioware games.

Pretty sure anyone can connect the dots there.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#14  Edited By Undeadpool

I think they just want to tell stories about human interaction, and that's one of the most basic. I really think the only unusual thing is that anyone would see it as unusual and frankly I think it'd be easier for them to integrate it if they weren't placed under a microscope by the goddamn hypocritical media.

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ghost_cat

I'm sure that might be part of the reason, but I think it's acceptable in mature storytelling. I mean, when everyone knows they're gonna die very soon, might as well fuck dirty, right?

Legion_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Legion_

@Poppduder said:

@Legion_ said:
    It seems to be in every single game that they push out. Mass Effect 1, Mass Effect 2, Mass Effect 3, Dragon Age: Origins and Dragon Age II all have sex scenes in them. B
    You're forgetting AT LEAST 10 games on your list, a lot of which dont include sex. I dont remember sex in every single Baldur's Gate/Neverwinter game, or Jade Empire. But yeah, to your point, I think it's almost expected from them as of late.

I meant recent games. I'll just add that real quick.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#17  Edited By Video_Game_King

Yes, I would like sex with Bioware.

devilzrule27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By devilzrule27

It's EA's fault.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#19  Edited By Jeust

Yes sex yes.

Legion_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Legion_

So I see a lot of you pulling out the good ol' relationship card. And that's totally legit. But there are different ways to show emotion, and sex can be implied. What I think is kind of strange is the fact that they need to show it every time. When the sex scene itself shows up in every game, it makes me wonder if there's a check list with sex on it.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#21  Edited By Sooty

Every game they put out? You mentioned games from only two series and BioWare has made absolutely loads of games.

algertman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By algertman

Bioware handles the sex in their games the same way a virgin handles sex in their horrible fan fiction.  

FunkasaurasRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By FunkasaurasRex
    @Poppduder
    @Legion_ said:
    You're forgetting AT LEAST 10 games on your list, a lot of which dont include sex.  I dont remember sex in every single Baldur's Gate/Neverwinter game, or Jade Empire.  But yeah, to your point, I think it's almost expected from them as of late.
    I definitely recall there being sex in Jade Empire. In fact, if you play your cards right, I'm pretty sure you can get some ménage à trois action.
    sissylion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By sissylion

I would pay federal dollars to be able to remove the sex scenes from BioWare games.

Legion_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Legion_

@Sooty said:

Every game they put out? You mentioned games from only two series and BioWare has made absolutely loads of games.

As stated both in the OP as well as a later comment: recent games. Appriciate it if you would take your time to read the whole post.

delorean99947

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By delorean99947

@Animasta: NO! That Dwarf looks EXACTLY the same as the one I made in my first playthrough of Dragon Age. That's just disturbing to me. On topic, yes, I think that they try to put relationships in their games, and sex comes with it.

ShadyPingu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By ShadyPingu

I'd say sex definitely is on a checklist of what needs to be in a Bioware game, yes. (Except if it's with Garrus, then they fade to black. Foiled!)

This is a bit of a tangent, but it began to disturb me around ME2 how many of the romance options for MaleShep are based largely around hero worship. I'm thinking about Liara and Tali in particular, maybe Miranda, she's an edge case. I don't need you to tell me how awesome I am all the time, girls, the game is a sci-fi power fantasy, of course I'm awesome.

At least FemShep gets Garrus, who is still your same old alien bro and sniper buddy, except you fuck him.

mpgeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#28  Edited By mpgeist

I want Persona 5 to star the P4 cast as adults so I can romance Naoto and have teh sex....Er....Anyway, if the sex scenes fit with the mood and tone of a game, why not?

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#29  Edited By AndrewB
    Anyway, recently I was watching Dave's review of Dragon Age: Origins for some random reason, one thing came to mind.
    Sex.
    No, not with Dave...

I ag... Oh.. oh yes! Yes, of course not!

There's been sex in every Bioware game (sans the Sonic : Dark Brotherhood game, I can only assume - and wait, KOTOR? I totally can't remember) since Baldur's Gate 2, and surely innuendo in games before that. Now my personal stance is a resounding "so what?" because it fits into the more mature stories they tell. Unfortunately, it's been since Baldur's Gate 2 since it was really handled exceptionally. I guess that's partly because it happens in an implied manner without some incredibly awkward animation, and even my 14 year old self was probably better with my imagination.

But yeah, it's totally become a checkmark thing. I mean, because of player feedback and a yearning for same-sex relationships, that has as well.

Disconnect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Disconnect

I was once sexually assaulted by David Gaider. He gave me a newspaper that was ripped and greasy. He called it a grimoire and a gift. Then he forced me into the tent. His breath smelled like cheese whiz and death. Even though the whole affair was very violent he kept apologizing throughout. Saying that the J Allard makeover machine had left a hole in his soul that he could only "fill with fuck".

Thanatos3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Thanatos3

Yeah its on a checklist. Sadly the relationships in Bioware games are pretty shallow and poorly done throughout. But its not like the sex is especially graphic and is the most realistic part of the whole thing anyway so why not? Why is this even worthy of discussion in the first place?

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By McGhee

I would actually play as lady Shepard if she could fuck a Hanar. Mmmmm. . . .

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Funkydupe

Sex is only natural.

Between a cute blue alien lady and a military commando dude with a tripod.

EmuLeader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By EmuLeader

@believer258 said:

I'm going to take the modest and conservative position that sex should be more implied than shown in games simply because of how awkward finer animations still look.

I completely agree. I don't care that it is in there, but the animations are so awkward (perfect word for it) that it doesn't do anything at all to make the relationship seem any more real or meaningful. Just imply it and move on. Actually showing the terrible animations takes more away than adding to the feelings they are trying to evoke.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By LiquidPrince

I like the way Bioware does their sex scenes. Very romantic and with minimal nudity. That's not say I dislike nudity. In fact quite the opposite, if every appropriate game had full on hardcore sex scenes with nude models I would be way more happy then the kiddy garbage like in GTAIV. That strip club in GTAIV was the first instance where I started noticing how lame game nudity was going to be. I mean if you're not going to have actual nudity then don't put a strip club in your game. Mass Effect is a bit different because it's a story driven game and so you get attached to the characters and I liked the romantic style love scenes. A game that does it equally as well but with actual nudity is the Witcher which has the best "hardcore" sex scenes I've seen in any game.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By BabyChooChoo

@Legion_ said:

Do you think has a check list of certain things that needs to be in a game, and if so, do you think sex is on that list? Personally, I think yes and yes.

I also think yes and yes. I don't mind the sex itself, as much as mind the "relationship" building up to it. I realize it's a game, but a lot of the relationships in Bioware games have felt extremely shallow to me. It can essentially be boiled down to "select the nice option" and boom, you're in their pants. They don't have to turn it into a freaking VN or anything, but a little more depth couldn't hurt.

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By audiosnow

No, and, no.

But in the BioWare sex I've seen (i.e., Mass Effect 1 and 2) it's always fit the game. What do you expect from a ridiculous space pop-opera than lingering shots of Miranda's buttocks, or Princess Leia in a slave girl bikini?

Most of my favorite games don't have sex in them. If fact, most of my favorite games don't ever have you directly interact with another human being.

And, no, this is not the part where you make bestiality jokes.

Avatar image for thebluthcompany
    TheBluthCompany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#39  Edited By TheBluthCompany
    @believer258 simple music cue + cutaway is how all video game sex scenes should be set up. The Liara sex scene in ME3 looked like two robots fighting each other.
    JazGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By JazGalaxy
    @Legion_ said:

I'm a huge Bioware fan, and I love most of their games, even games that were not as well recieved (Dragon Age II and Mass Effect 3). Anyway, recently I was watching Dave's review of Dragon Age: Origins for some random reason, one thing came to mind.

Sex.

No, not with Dave. Sex in Bioware games. It seems to be in every single game that they've pushed out recently. Mass Effect 1, Mass Effect 2, Mass Effect 3, Dragon Age: Origins and Dragon Age II all have sex scenes in them. Basically what I'm wondering is this:

I think it has a lot to do with this bizarre modern notion of "pushing the industry forward" or whatever. 

I think it's supposed to be considered "mature" or "artful" for them to include sex scenes in games mostly just because movies do it. 

But the thing is, most videogames sex scenes up until now have been absolutely ghastly.  Like actively repulsive. It's like watching a minutes long video of mannequins with creepy soul-less eyes gyrating around on top of one another and occasionally clipping THROUGH one another. It's not arty, or mature, it's just bad. Bad storytelling and bad game design. 

Personally I think Golgo 13 on the NES did a WAY better job of depicting sex in videogames than Bioware games do.
    JazGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By JazGalaxy
    @FunkasaurasRex said:
    @Poppduder
    @Legion_ said:
    I definitely recall there being sex in Jade Empire. In fact, if you play your cards right, I'm pretty sure you can get some ménage à trois action.
    I wound up with the threesome in Jade Empire and I didn't even mean to. I just kept sweet talking both the girls assuming at some point they would force me to make a choice. Apparently not. It was super weird. I'm not sure any relationship I've ever had in a bioware game ever went the way I intended.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#42  Edited By Hailinel

Sex has its place in stories. It helps if it's portrayed in a far less hamfisted way than Bioware has displayed, though.

Legion_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Legion_

@Hailinel said:

Sex has its place in stories. It helps if it's portrayed in a far less hamfisted way than Bioware has displayed, though.

Agreed and agreed.

Shiseiten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Shiseiten

They need to make the sex scene right..

Similar like Witcher 2.

FourWude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By FourWude

QTE in sex scenes... Please.

GIyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

Yeh, it needs to be like Indigo Prophecy.

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I like the way Bioware does their sex scenes. Very romantic and with minimal nudity. That's not say I dislike nudity. In fact quite the opposite, if every appropriate game had full on hardcore sex scenes with nude models I would be way more happy then the kiddy garbage like in GTAIV. That strip club in GTAIV was the first instance where I started noticing how lame game nudity was going to be. I mean if you're not going to have actual nudity then don't put a strip club in your game. Mass Effect is a bit different because it's a story driven game and so you get attached to the characters and I liked the romantic style love scenes. A game that does it equally as well but with actual nudity is the Witcher which has the best "hardcore" sex scenes I've seen in any game.

You're forgetting The Lost and Donged.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I subscribe to Chris Avellone's school of thought when it comes to sex and romance - it has a place in the story if it ends in grief and tragedy.

EternalVigil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bioware has basically done the exact same thing when it comes to romance ever since Knights of the Old Republic. It was fine back then but I find it increasingly hokey ever time I see it.

It's always talk to the person for the entire game, chose a dialogue option that says you want a relationship and just before the final battle you have sex (Or in KOTOR's case a kiss). For me it doesn't really feel like a real relationship and feels forced to add emotional drama to the endgame.

I think games like the Witcher did this kind of thing better as while it is more graphic, the relationship between Geralt and Triss was more believable and you can have sex in the middle of Act 1, which makes your choices later on a little more interesting.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.