Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Bit.Trip RUNNER

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released May 14, 2010

The fourth installment in the Bit.Trip series sees CommanderVideo, the series' protagonist, running through levels in search of piles of gold as he avoids various obstacles.

Top 5 Games of the Year Amendment

Avatar image for ultimatepunchrod
    ultimatepunchrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

Edited By ultimatepunchrod

So, when I set out to do a top 5 games of the year post, I had trouble coming up with a 5th game. I finally decided to add Limbo to the list. However, I didn't feel a particular attachment to that game. It was good to be sure, but it didn't hit me as hard as another downloadable title of last year did. That game is of course, bit.trip.runner. So, to make up for that oversight, I will give you the entry that I should have written in Limbo's place.

Bit.trip runner is the most cleverly disguised rhythm games you will ever play. It looks like you're playing a simple platformer from the Atari 2600 (with much flashier 3D visuals). You play as Commander Video who for the entire game is never not running. In order to get to the end of each level, you have to jump over obstacles, jump up stairs, kick through breakable objects, slide through gaps, and block projectiles. If you mess any of this up, you have to start THE ENTIRE level over. No checkpoints. No sir. It's punishing, but it feels so good to get it right. It is the definition of perfect balance. Bit.trip runner is one of the few games in recent memory that has caused me to stay up until 8 in the morning trying again and again (and again and again) to beat it. Also, it has an Anamanaguchi song for the menu music, so it really has it all huh?

So there is the entry that should have been, and just to make it a little better that I completely forgot to put this game on the list, here's some cool pictures from the game and some fan art too.

That's all I've got, but if you've really looked through all of this, then here's a link to Anamanaguchi's site and another one to all of the free singles they released last year. 

Anamanaguchi's site

Anamanaguchi's singles

Avatar image for ultimatepunchrod
    ultimatepunchrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By ultimatepunchrod

So, when I set out to do a top 5 games of the year post, I had trouble coming up with a 5th game. I finally decided to add Limbo to the list. However, I didn't feel a particular attachment to that game. It was good to be sure, but it didn't hit me as hard as another downloadable title of last year did. That game is of course, bit.trip.runner. So, to make up for that oversight, I will give you the entry that I should have written in Limbo's place.

Bit.trip runner is the most cleverly disguised rhythm games you will ever play. It looks like you're playing a simple platformer from the Atari 2600 (with much flashier 3D visuals). You play as Commander Video who for the entire game is never not running. In order to get to the end of each level, you have to jump over obstacles, jump up stairs, kick through breakable objects, slide through gaps, and block projectiles. If you mess any of this up, you have to start THE ENTIRE level over. No checkpoints. No sir. It's punishing, but it feels so good to get it right. It is the definition of perfect balance. Bit.trip runner is one of the few games in recent memory that has caused me to stay up until 8 in the morning trying again and again (and again and again) to beat it. Also, it has an Anamanaguchi song for the menu music, so it really has it all huh?

So there is the entry that should have been, and just to make it a little better that I completely forgot to put this game on the list, here's some cool pictures from the game and some fan art too.

That's all I've got, but if you've really looked through all of this, then here's a link to Anamanaguchi's site and another one to all of the free singles they released last year. 

Anamanaguchi's site

Anamanaguchi's singles

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.