Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Borderlands 3

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Sep 13, 2019

Return to the Borderlands as one of a new team of Vault Hunters to stop a crazed, live-streaming cult known as The Children of the Vault spreading like an interstellar plague.

That Ending (Spoilers)

dazzhardy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By dazzhardy

I needed to get this out, or at least written down, because the ending to Borderlands 3 has been bugging me. Not sure if its because I'm upset as a series fan, or if it's just as bad as it seems. Spoiler Block of Text incoming.

So, I've been mulling this over for a couple of days now, and I think the ending to this game might suck ? Now, I don't think the writing is as good in BL3 as the best parts of BL2, but the lows didn't feel as low either. The ending, however, has really irked me. As far as I can tell, it's either one of two things.

1. Assuming its meant to be taken as is, which I doubt given reasons below, its a pretty lame way to end Lilith's story, who's been a staple of the series, maybe even to the point of being the face of the franchise. It seems like a death for the sake of a death, and it feels like it dumps all over the series' lore.

2. Its a bait and switch that wants to have its emotional gut punch but not mean it. Given how many times they go out of their way to not say "dead", this feels disrespectful to the players intelligence.

Now, I believe it to be 2 for numerous reasons. Firstly, it happens off screen, and there's never a body. If a character "dies" off screen, they're probably not dead. Secondly, they have numerous ways out. "It could kill her" happening prior to it. The credit scenes showing characters looking for her, and people saying she's not likely dead in the post game. Add these to the fact that Sirens have gotten exponentially more powerfully over the games and I'm left not believing it. If Troy can pull a moon out of orbit with new powers, you expect me to believe that twice, powerful characters, can't do anything without dying.

They'll probably do something in DLC like the Tiny Tina stuff in BL2, and I'm hopeful they will, because that was some of my favourite BL2 content, but man, the ending we have has taken some of the wind out of my sails for the game. There's still stuff I need to do with Moze before I launch into True Vault Hunter with her, and I wanna find all the Eridian logs and try the other characters, but some of the sheen has been taken off a game I was enjoying, and I think it's bummed me out ?

I think it's bummed me out.

BaconHound

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

I've just been operating under the assumption that she's still alive or will be "reborn" as a new siren. I guess I haven't really thought about it too much. I think I'll hold off until all the DLC is out to really decide what I think of it. If she's really, truly gone, then I agree that was kind of a crummy way to end her story.

I jumped right in to TVHM and haven't regretted it. FYI, all your map progress carries over and you can read the logs right away, so clearing the maps 100% as you go shouldn't be a problem if that's what you're shooting for. Also, be sure to turn on Mayhem 1 at least - I wasn't sure what to expect, but it's changed things up in a neat way - encouraging me to use different guns and stuff.

dazzhardy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

My assumption was gonna be she's alive, but it cost her her siren powers to do it. Which is why I think it's a option 2. Been playing some of the Proving Grounds stuff in matchmaking to get up to level 50, and yeah, I still really like this game. I'll probably hop into TVHM after work, I should be able to play the DLC stuff in normal mode right ? Normal and TVHM are two seperate progressions, with the character and inventory staying the same still, I assume.

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

I also assume she's still alive. I didn't really care for the ending either. After such a lengthy build-up it seemed to just fizzle out at the very end and not feel very...absolute? Or even vaguely satisfactory. I definitely feel like one of the DLCs is going to continue the main arc in some fashion. But yes, Lilith DEFINITELY deserves better than she got.

I didn't think the story was great overall. There are some great moments to be had, mostly if you actually care about the characters and world of Borderlands (I do, personally), but the ending solidified it as being kinda meh as a whole. Killing Typhon right before the final battle was lame after just introducing him into the story proper an hour or two before. I really loved his character. I don't think the Calypsos were as strong as villains as Handsome Jack was, which is interesting because the Calypsos had a physical presence throughout the story, where as Handsome Jack just talked at you over ECHO until the final act. But I just think he was a much better character and the reveal for his motivation was effectively tragic. I feel like they tried to do something a little similar here and it just didn't work as well.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

The story overall felt like it was a shell of good intentions but didnt know fully how to get there so as a result it's just empty. Needless to say I didnt care for the ending either.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.