Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Borderlands

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Oct 20, 2009

Borderlands is a first-person shooter RPG from Gearbox Software that puts players into the shoes of one of four playable characters as they traverse the hostile planet of Pandora in search of a mysterious "Vault," said to contain priceless unknown riches and alien technologies.

Best way to spec a Brick

bigdaddyjack21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By bigdaddyjack21

Hey everybody I was looking for tips on the best ways to spec up my Brick character (I know I made a poor decision with that class). This is my first character and could use any and all help thanks.

Keeng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Keeng

I've never poked around to see what people online have had to say about gameplay strategies and all that for this game, but I can tell you what I do. I'm level 53 right now. I did my entire first playthrough using shotguns because I figured both that weapon type and Brick's action skill require that you get up close. It worked so well that most of my friends thought Brick was overpowered. As you might expect, I chose skills that enhanced his melee attacks and Berserk mode. 

Second playthrough, things kinda changed. You can no longer survive charging into battle without being gunned down, even as Brick. I finally started using rocket launchers since his skills support them. The game is kind of buggy when it comes to the hit detection on rockets. In fact, you can literally never be sure if a rocket is going to cause any damage to an enemy, but having a long range, elemental attack is an absolute must for the second time through. This led me to thinking about swapping out rocket launchers for something like a rifle or sniper. Honestly, that might be a better choice because those are far less glitchy, but I never actually made the switch because I managed to make it through playthrough 2. It's also worth mentioning that I almost gave up on rockets until I found one that actually explodes every five or so feet for the entire time the rocket is on screen. It's insane. Anywho, the point is, you'll need a long range weapon for the second time around.

Lastly, if you can get a hold of a non-rocket weapon that does Explosive damage, using that (instead of a rocket launcher, which is what I think they expected people to use) with his Liquidate skill is effing fatal. You can shorten the cooldown for his Berserk to under 10 seconds.

bigdaddyjack21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By bigdaddyjack21

Thanks a lot man. I started off by soley upgrading the health and sheild categories while also upgrading the reload times. Now I am concentrating on upgrading the Beserk ones so that I can play online better. I usually use the SMG and Sniper from afar but I am going to which over the the weapon combination that you suggested.  Shotgun and rocket launched would look better equipped to the character than the guns I currently use.

I just got the game close to a month ago and I am addicted and cant stop buying the DLC this game this game rocks man.
    FritzDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By FritzDude

A melee Brick is the ultimate Brick if you ask me. Here's what the skill tree looks like at 50+ Level: 
    http://www.borderlandsthegame.com/skilltree/brick/#31554505555050500000000 

Brawler 
    -Iron Fist                 5/5 
    -Endless Rage      5/5 
    -Sting like a bee    2/5 or more 
    -Heavy Handed     5/5 
    -Short Fuse            5/5 
    -Blood Sport           5/5 

Tank 
    -Hardened              5/5 
    -Safeguard             5/5 
    -Bash                      1/5 or more 
    -Juggernaut           5/5 
    -Diehard                 5/5 

The reason for this is that with this build you can and will use shotguns as your main weapon. With the right elements you will do massive damage at close up with both shotgun and Brick's berserk. Some people say that you will die with this in playthrough 2, but that's because your doing it wrong. Sure, you will play with death a lot with this build, but with the right skills and equipment you will use Bricks Berserk all the time and get a healthy regen on it too while punching enemies.

Keep a look out for: 
    -Fast shotgun types (High Fire rate)
    -Elemental shotgun types
    -Ranged shotgun types 
    -Berserker or skirmisher class mod with the "short fuse" (Reducing Berserk cooldown) skills and a percentage to health 

Keeng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Keeng
    @FritzDude: I don't know if it does this for everyone but that skill tree is blank when I click the link. 

You'll certainly die a lot using a shotgun-only build during the second run. You COULD do your best to keep Berserk active at all times, and you'd certainly make it through the main game, but it probably won't be fun. That idea was certainly not fun for me. I hated feeling like I was just dying my way through the game. 
    FritzDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By FritzDude

@Keeng:
    That's why you will have the "Diehard" skill up and running. With the right set-up you will have like a 5 second cooldown on berserk, tons of health and with "stinging like a bee" skill you will slug enemy to enemy really fast. I'm currently playing as a melee Brick and it's more fun than the others. And i've played almost all the builds for Brick. The other route that could be fun is with Ogre. If you can get a ogre class mod with ammo regen and 80% rate of fire, and at the same time find a weapon with good fire rate, then you will have a lot of fun. A bazooka Brick can be fun from the start, but will be really boring later if you ask me. I like to try out new builds, so if you have any others please share and i will check them out.

Oh, and the link worked for me, but i can't see any "send to" button there so i just copied the Address. If any others have the same problem let me know. I will just add the skill in text form on my main comment.

Keeng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Keeng
    @FritzDude: Then I guess it's just a preference thing. I've never heard of the Ogre class mod but I only own the original game plus General Knoxx, and I still haven't played the Knoxx parts, yet (maybe I'll do that in a few minutes). Playing melee primarily is just so not fun to me. But you're certainly right that it's mad effective.
    Avatar image for deactivated-589cf9e3c287e
    deactivated-589cf9e3c287e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 4

@bigdaddyjack21: Brick was also my first character, and it was an awesome experience ONCE I learned that you've got be Berserking constantly if you are fighting more enemies than one. Spec out your character till you only have about 12-15 seconds between Berserk cooldowns, and maximize the time for a Berserker rage. You should also maximize the health you get back from a second wind, and always remember that Fight for Your Life is a good thing as long as there are people to shoot.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.