Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Borderlands

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Oct 20, 2009

Borderlands is a first-person shooter RPG from Gearbox Software that puts players into the shoes of one of four playable characters as they traverse the hostile planet of Pandora in search of a mysterious "Vault," said to contain priceless unknown riches and alien technologies.

Steam sale is tempting but how's the PC version?

Nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By Nate

So, Borderlands GOTY edition is on sale for $7.50 on PC, but I've kind of been thinking about getting this one on console. Mainly because I remember the GB guys saying how much better it was on 360 compared to PC and it really seemed designed for console.  Anyone know why this is, or if they've patched things to make the PC version better? Anyone?

JCTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By JCTango

I haven't had any problems with the PC version at all.. mind you I don't have a steam copy of it... and not a GOTY edition either <_<.  The regular version seemed fine to me.  Maybe choose based on whether you got a friend who wants to play with ya... see what version he/she has.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By SeriouslyNow

The game isn't better on console, it's better and looks better on PC - it's just not made with a PC player in mind. There are ways to tweak away the consoleness of the game - namely disabling mouse smoothing, enabling crouch hold (instead of toggle) and improving the menu navigation. Here are two easy to use guides to fixing those issues and more.

Three0neFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Three0neFive
    @Nate said:

So, Borderlands GOTY edition is on sale for $7.50 on PC, but I've kind of been thinking about getting this one on console. Mainly because I remember the GB guys saying how much better it was on 360 compared to PC and it really seemed designed for console.  Anyone know why this is, or if they've patched things to make the PC version better? Anyone?

From what I've heard most of the issues people have with the PC version stem from the UI. For example, when you're using the inventory you can't just scroll though the list and instead have to use a scroll bar, etc. Mostly little things that add up to a more frustrating experience.
    BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By BabyChooChoo

Personally, I think the PC version is just fine. I have the GOTY version and don't recall running into any bugs at all, at least not anything major in any way, but I haven't finished Robot Revolution yet and I've heard that's where most of the bugs are. To be honest, the only thing that I can think of as a con to the PC version was entering the keys for some of the dlc. My computer wouldn't lock up or anything, but unless I had the key copied to my clipboard or written down, there was no way to get to it. The game itself would sit at a loading screen with a dialogue box asking for the key, but for some reason I couldn't bring up the Steam overlay to access the key. Like I said though, just copying it before hand and pasting it when the box shows up solved that with no problem at all.

StrawHat_NPC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By StrawHat_NPC

If anyone has an extra copy i would play through it on PC, i love this game :)

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By MezZa

The menus are obviously made for consoles, but everything else is perfectly fine. I bought the GotY version after having played it forever on a console and haven't had any problems with it. I'd go for it unless you prefer gaming on the console or something.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Aetheldod

Curiously I installed my game last night tho is not the Goty edition :( , it works perfectly and smooth and with the exception of the scrolling in the menus (that must be done with the pg up/dwn) I see no hindrance

Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By Seedofpower

The serious question is does it still use Gamespy for setting up games?

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By MrKlorox

It's a shitty port, and Randy Pitchford is a fucking liar for saying otherwise.

Only get it if you're using a controller and sitting pretty far from your monitor.

Truitt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Truitt

@Seedofpower: It certainly does, but it worked fine when I used it.

If you have a 360 controller for your PC, absolutely nothing will cause you issues. The menus work like a dream with a controller.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#12  Edited By BeachThunder

It could be better, but really, it isn't a shitty port. The only poor part that I found was the menu being a bit awkward with M&KB controls.

Anyway, if you're at all interested in the game, this is an amazing price. Just remember to ignore all of Mad Moxxie except for the extra storage.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

#13  Edited By alistercat

You can google a tweak guide to make it more optimized for PC use.

Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Demyx

7.50 is a steal, and its definitely worth it. I bought it for $45 on steam and i don't regret anything.

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#15  Edited By bacongames

If no one mentioned anything about this version of the game then I would never have thought to say it. The PC version is on par with the others except there are a few things here or maybe there that could have been optimized for the PC. Otherwise you can't go wrong.

Nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Nate

Cool, thanks everyone. I actually just purchased it. I do have a 360 controller for PC if I feel like I need it, but I'll definitely check out some of those fixes for "de-consolizing" it (as soon as it's done downloading on my crappy DSL connection!)

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By SeriouslyNow

@AlisterCat said:

You can google a tweak guide to make it more optimized for PC use.

Or you can just look at my post which lists both of the best guides.

samfo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By samfo

its so cheap!!! I think I have to get it too!

JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By JP_Russell
    @Three0neFive said:

@Nate said:

From what I've heard most of the issues people have with the PC version stem from the UI. For example, when you're using the inventory you can't just scroll though the list and instead have to use a scroll bar, etc. Mostly little things that add up to a more frustrating experience.

That is not the case in the inventory.  The main area I recall not being able to scroll is in the main menu.  When you're setting the graphics options or controls, for instance, there straight up is no scroll bar or any other way to scroll through, if I recall.  It's just an up and down arrow at the top and bottom of the menu that you have to click repeatedly.  It's stupid, but you should only need to use those menus a couple times, so it's not a huge deal.

The inventory is mostly fine, though - no issues with scrolling there.  The main snag is that you can't click and drag a weapon from the list into one of your slots, as seems intuitive, but then you just click on the weapon and then on the slot instead of dragging, which isn't so bad.

The biggest gripes with the PC version have without a doubt been the multiplayer since it usually involves port forwarding to make it work (doesn't apply to LAN games, obviously).  But the UI issues are relatively minor where they count most, and ultimately don't get in the way of the gameplay.
    Dread612

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Dread612
    @MrKlorox said:
    It's a shitty port, and Randy Pitchford is a fucking liar for saying otherwise.  Only get it if you're using a controller and sitting pretty far from your monitor.
    This. 

The FOV in the game is way messed up, but there are a few fixes out there for it. But I thought the game was super boring, put about 8 hrs in. I was basically fighting the 3 same enemies during that 8 hrs. I regret it to this day, I swear if I see another fucking skag in my life ever again.....
    CheapPoison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By CheapPoison

It's fine. 

Just the menu's can be dodgy.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#23  Edited By ajamafalous

The only thing wrong is the mouse smoothing (which can be turned off with ease) and the broken-ass UI (which you kinda just have to deal with.). The gameplay certainly isn't inhibited in any way. If you have any interest at all, $7.50 is a joke of a price. Jump on it now.

Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Kazona

Speaking of Borderlands for PC. Who would be up for playing some co-op this weekend?

Ijsje

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Ijsje

Get it it's great !

It looks and runs better on the PC (playing in real 1080p with some visual tweaks makes a huge difference)
    Yes if you prefer to use a mouse and keyboard you 'll have to do some tweaks but the game plays really great with a controller .
    My advice to you , if you have the option to do so > hook up your PC to your HDTV and play it with a 360 controller.

Also, get the "Borderlands Config editor" it will make your life so much easier .

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Ben_H

The menus suck, but other than that it is just fine.  I've played both versions and I prefer PC, but that's because a gamepad will never be as good as mouse and keyboard.

Ijsje

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Ijsje
    @Kazona: I'm up for some co-op , Craw ? :)
    StrawHat_NPC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By StrawHat_NPC

I'm downloading it now. So if anyone wants to do some co-op i'm game :)

Flaboere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Flaboere

I bought it this evening, and after downloading the whole thing, found out it doesn't run on a mac. That is, the STEAM version GOTY doesn't run on a mac, whereas the non-steam version does. Sigh. So beware!

Avatar image for theseductivemoose
    TheSeductiveMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A lot better than the console version.

G0rd0nFr33m4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 18

#31  Edited By G0rd0nFr33m4n

Unless you have friends to play with you, the online is quite dead I am afraid :( 

Gamespy should not exist anymore.  blah.

Ijsje

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Ijsje

me and a friend still play Co-op every once in a while , so if you want to join add me to your friends list >> (Steam) [KVL]-!!=Ijsje=!!-

I play a lvl 69 siren and cleared the game +dlc on both playthroughs, but also am leveling the other classes . 
    I don`t mind starting over with a different class if somebody wants to play co-op from the beginning.

McShank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By McShank

@Nate: I bought the the goty off steam last time it was on sale for 7.50$ and i have enjoyed it very much. The pc controls are kind of different but i don't play with my keyboard, rather i hook my usb cable to it using

motioninjoy to get my ps3 controller to work with it which makes it like the console but with much better graphics. $7.50 is definitely worth it and if you don't like the controls just use one of your controllers. If i remember correctly a blue tooth dongle for the 360 is like 10$ and if you have a ps3 then just dl motioninjoy which is free and is very very easy to set up, just make sure you have it set as a 360 controller since most games are compatible with xbox more then ps3 but the controls are the same.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Jimbo

Use your mouse for shooting and keyboard for the menus, which'll give you far superior gameplay (obv.) and equal menu control to playing on console. Slap some AA over it and it'll look better too.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#35  Edited By BeachThunder
    @Jimbo said:
    Use your mouse for shooting and keyboard for the menus, which'll give you far superior gameplay (obv.) and equal menu control to playing on console. Slap some AA over it and it'll look better too.
    Well, that's the problem; the menus are awful when it comes to keyboard shortcuts - for example, you can't "tab" between tabs nor can you "pgup" and "pgdn" long lists.
    MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#36  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Lots of people don't like it, but I had no issues with it. The actual gameplay is well optimized, and it looks beautiful even on relatively modest hardware. Sure the menu's are slightly console centric, but I really didn't find that a big deal. It would have been nice to improve the menus for a PC interface, but it definitely wasn't a deal breaker. I'm far more concerned with the optimization of the gameplay than the menus.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#37  Edited By TheHT

It's great! Menus are pretty much straight up console menus (not great, but not inhibiting), but the gameplay is there (and great, once you start finding more interesting guns) and the game's pretty enough.

Sometimes I find myself getting a bit dizzy from subtly moving closer and closer to the monitor though. Something about the camera seems a bit to forward and enclosed. But whatever, then I just sit back and play.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Azteck
    @MentalDisruption said:
    The menus are obviously made for consoles, but everything else is perfectly fine. I bought the GotY version after having played it forever on a console and haven't had any problems with it. I'd go for it unless you prefer gaming on the console or something.
    wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

I didn't want to deal with all the menu crap, so I played it with a 360 controller. It was great.

Aklimakks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Aklimakks
    This post over at the Gearbox forums details quite a few tweaks for some of the problems mentioned in this thread. Turning off mouse smoothing and increasing the F.O.V. drastically improves the gameplay.
    Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#41  Edited By Marz

The game ran pretty slow/choppy on my q6600.  But if you cpu is 3ghz+ then you won't have the problems i had with the game.   It was still playable, just dipped in the 20's a few times, (my gpu was a gtx 480 so i know it wasn't a gpu problem).

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By SeriouslyNow

@Marz said:

The game ran pretty slow/choppy on my q6600. But if you cpu is 3ghz+ then you won't have the problems i had with the game. It was still playable, just dipped in the 20's a few times, (my gpu was a gtx 480 so i know it wasn't a gpu problem).

Dude that sounds like another problem entirely. The game isn't even very demanding, running fine on most dual core machines. My girlfriend runs it on a dual core intel 2ghz ATI 4650 HD equipped HP laptop running Vista, with medium settings and it's perfectly smooth.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By MrKlorox

@SeriouslyNow said:

@Marz said:

The game ran pretty slow/choppy on my q6600. But if you cpu is 3ghz+ then you won't have the problems i had with the game. It was still playable, just dipped in the 20's a few times, (my gpu was a gtx 480 so i know it wasn't a gpu problem).

Dude that sounds like another problem entirely. The game isn't even very demanding, running fine on most dual core machines. My girlfriend runs it on a dual core intel 2ghz ATI 4650 HD equipped HP laptop running Vista, with medium settings and it's perfectly smooth.

Agreed, it's a low cpu intensity game (not a lot of physics or ragdolls). And that videocard is two generations ahead of mine, and I still get a solid 60 fps, even with 4xAA+SS transparencies. Can you keep an eye on your cpu usage in the task manager while playing in windowed mode or dual monitor or something?

broqz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By broqz

7.50?  damn you again steam.  just take my money 

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#45  Edited By Marz
    @MrKlorox said:

@SeriouslyNow said:

@Marz said:

Agreed, it's a low cpu intensity game (not a lot of physics or ragdolls). And that videocard is two generations ahead of mine, and I still get a solid 60 fps, even with 4xAA+SS transparencies. Can you keep an eye on your cpu usage in the task manager while playing in windowed mode or dual monitor or something?

I upgraded to a 2600k cpu last month but from what i remember, when i still used my q6600 (not overclocked)  it was a low gpu usage under 30% and high cpu usage around 50-60%.   Borderlands just didn't run well for me, totally playable though.  just had framerate dips here and there.
    Th3_James

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Th3_James

It's better on pc... I played it on 360 first, than on pc later. I had much more fun on pc version.

keris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By keris
    @BeachThunder said:
    @Jimbo said:
    Well, that's the problem; the menus are awful when it comes to keyboard shortcuts - for example, you can't "tab" between tabs nor can you "pgup" and "pgdn" long lists.
    For the tabs in the status menus and shops you can press the number keys to jump to each respective tab. As for the lists, they only made pgup and pgdn work for the quest flavor text. But mouse wheel scroll works well with inventory lists (shop or personal).
    Nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Nate

For the record, loving the PC version. I haven't played the console version, but the mouse and keyboard is always preferable for FPS for me.  The game looks great and is super fun.  I find the way quests are laid out as really addictive. I've been staying up too late all week because of the "just one more quest!" mentality  ;) 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.