Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Borderlands

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Oct 20, 2009

Borderlands is a first-person shooter RPG from Gearbox Software that puts players into the shoes of one of four playable characters as they traverse the hostile planet of Pandora in search of a mysterious "Vault," said to contain priceless unknown riches and alien technologies.

what happened to the whole randomly generated world concept?

graniteoctopus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By graniteoctopus

i recall before the game was released there was a feature promised that the locations of caves, towers, monsters, etc would all be randomised similiar to diablo but somewhat more focused. game comes out and it doesnt exist! why do they make these goddamn promises if they cant deliver
    Tylea002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Tylea002
    @graniteoctopus: I believe they wanted to just focus on: GUUUUUUUUNS. LOTS OF THEM!
    StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By StaticFalconar

See, this is why the internet is ruining games. If we didn't have to hear about every little developer blog and what thier thought process was, guys like the OP can just enjoy teh game for whats it worth. It was never a promise, but just something that they considered when making the game.

haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By haggis

Yeah, it was never a promise. They always qualify things when in the process of development. But not all gamers see that, or remember later on what features have been dropped or modified. The same thing happened with Mass Effect and the interrupting dialogue option (now, thankfully, a confirmed feature in ME2). They showed off the option, were still working on it, and eventually dropped it. But people were disappointed when the first game didn't have it. Borderlands was a decent game, and sold well. A sequel is almost certainly in the works (has it been confirmed yet?) in which case you can be reasonably sure they're at least revisiting the idea now that they know the first game was a success. Perhaps Borderlands 2 will have the feature. I have to admit, I'd probably have liked the game more if that feature had been included.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Ghostiet

Knowing how face-fuckingly annoying is the lack of a Diablo-style active map/sandbox radar, I'd put the lack of the topic's title feature in the "merit" tab.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

When they say a game is in development they means it's in development, nothing is a promise. Huge amounts of content can be cut from a game in a relatively short space of time, it's just the nature of video game development.

graniteoctopus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By graniteoctopus

i'll just file it as a peter molyneux-ism then. also i hate to say it but i HATED this game. i was hoping such a feature would at least make for an interesting second playthrough but alas it didnt exist. poor me. *cries
    Supermarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Supermarius

The randomly generated areas of diablo are not really one of its stronger elements. Case in point: the jungles of Diablo 2 act 3. If you have played through the game you know what im saying.

mankvill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By mankvill

I don't think it necessarily took away from the overall strength of Borderlands, but it totally would have been awesome. But how can you really do that with a huge 3D environment?

JCGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By JCGamer

Look at Hellgate: London at a games failing attempt to do random 3-D level design.  

mankvill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By mankvill
    @JCGamer said:
    " Look at Hellgate: London at a games failing attempt to do random 3-D level design.   "
    I don't think that game is first person, though. It'd be entirely different to do randomized FPS  levels rather than a top-down Diablo-esque game. 
    kingkorn69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By kingkorn69
    @Supermarius: You are right dude on this one!  I think Borderlands is freakin awesome as is!   People are just never happy with a awesome game.  Just let it be all games have faults and all games are fun to someone!
    JCGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By JCGamer
     @mankvill said:

" @JCGamer said:
    " Look at Hellgate: London at a games failing attempt to do random 3-D level design.   "I don't think that game is first person, though. It'd be entirely different to do randomized FPS  levels rather than a top-down Diablo-esque game.  "
     That game was a 3-D 3rd person or 1st person shooter game with loot, and random level design.  Here is the IGN review of the game.  
    Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By Jimbo

They realised that randomly generated levels are fucking terrible?

stair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By stair

Of course, most of the randomisation in Diablo 2 wasn't really random when it came to the maps. There were maybe three or four different orientations of the map, but they cycled through. I played through most of the game years ago, and then maybe the year before last I started a new file and gamed it so that the same map that I remembered and was familiar with was there. It was consistently the same throughout the game.

Considering that Borderlands is much more complex than Diablo, it woud be much harder to do even two different versions of the map. Plus that cuts out the possibility of having set pieces, and it would raise HUGE problems for online co-op, even before you get to the point where the newly randomised map would have to be shared with the second player.

Designed maps are just better.

Rayfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By Rayfield

Like the blood-soaked tampons in Army Of Two, these are the days of our lives.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.