Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Brink

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released May 10, 2011

A multiplayer-focused, class-based first-person shooter running on id Tech 4, in which oppressive soldiers and anarchistic terrorists battle for the few remaining resources on a failed paradise known as the Ark.

What Brink Gets Wrong

ninjatuned

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 12

Edited By ninjatuned

To fend off any potential haters - I don't have (much of) a problem with the mechanics of Brink - as a class based multiplayer shooter it's pretty good - it does a lot of things differently than other games and it manages those things pretty well.  I've played about 16 hours of Brink and I've had a pretty good time with it.  I'll do a "What Brink Gets Right" post sometime after this one.  Now to the meat.

Narrative
    As a campaign based game it's laughable at best .  The cutscenes only purpose, it seems, is to hide the matchmaking going on in the background.  It's a hollow shell of a story with no life or characters to fill it out.  They only other story telling happens in audio logs that you can choose to listen to if you feel like it while you're customizing your character.  It seems like the plot is so disposable that you can not even be aware of half of it unless you go searching for it.   It seems more like the idea was to cut production time (in an interview with the developer they say they've been working on Brink since BEFORE the first left 4 dead) by not really including a single player campaign than to try and have a well thought out coherent story.  So ultimately anyone looking for a good single player experience is going to be left wanting.  More annoyingly, anyone looking for a good multiplayer experience is going to be hampered by the confines of the objectives of the "story" within the mission.  But more on this later. The only other thing i can say about the story is that it's entirely disingenuous to say that we're seeing "both sides" of a conflict when each side's campaign has missions that the other doesn't have.  If you play as the resistance you don't shoot a missile at the ark founders tower as it happens in the security campaign.  (You do get to do it in a "what if" mission outside of the normal resistance campaign) You essentially have two slightly different stories where the side you play as is clearly good and the other side is clearly bad.   No shades of gray that were hinted at in the pre-release hype-train.  What a sad half assed cop-out in a sad half assed campaign.  It is a shame as you can see the promise in the back story but the developers failed to deliver.

This would have been a much much better game if three or four things would have been done:

1) Ditch the story altogether - set it up, give a back story but don't try and tell any real narrative outside of mission objectives. That way they could have been randomized and given fresh life to maps that will age very quickly.  Anyone familiar with Killzone's Warzone mode will know what I'm talking about.

2) No campaign = lower price - For all intents and purposes there is no single player campaign in this game.  I think expectations would be in the right place if this were cheaper at launch - $45 - $40 seems about right to me.

3) More maps - 8 maps? Really? and that's for both "single player" and multiplayer.  Even for a downloadable multiplayer only title that's a little thin much less for a $60 disc title.

4) Integrate the systems - This is one of my only mechanical beefs with the game.  The character customizations are great - too bad once i start a game i can't change anything more about my character other than his class and guns (only guns, not attachments).  I'd love the ability to change my weight since that has such a big impact to gameplay - or to give me the option to tie together certain weapon sets with certain classes so I'm not wasting valuable time dicking around with that stuff in game.  Or even let me switch characters around in game so that if i need to switch to an engineer i have my engineer character all customized and ready to go. There are really great systems in Brink but it's like they don't talk to each other or are just layered one on top of the other with nothing that breaks through and combines them in some meaningful way.

I'm very much of a split mind on Brink.  It has issues but it's pretty fun to play.  But I still feel like a sucker paying $60 for it.
    ninjatuned

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By ninjatuned

To fend off any potential haters - I don't have (much of) a problem with the mechanics of Brink - as a class based multiplayer shooter it's pretty good - it does a lot of things differently than other games and it manages those things pretty well.  I've played about 16 hours of Brink and I've had a pretty good time with it.  I'll do a "What Brink Gets Right" post sometime after this one.  Now to the meat.

Narrative
    As a campaign based game it's laughable at best .  The cutscenes only purpose, it seems, is to hide the matchmaking going on in the background.  It's a hollow shell of a story with no life or characters to fill it out.  They only other story telling happens in audio logs that you can choose to listen to if you feel like it while you're customizing your character.  It seems like the plot is so disposable that you can not even be aware of half of it unless you go searching for it.   It seems more like the idea was to cut production time (in an interview with the developer they say they've been working on Brink since BEFORE the first left 4 dead) by not really including a single player campaign than to try and have a well thought out coherent story.  So ultimately anyone looking for a good single player experience is going to be left wanting.  More annoyingly, anyone looking for a good multiplayer experience is going to be hampered by the confines of the objectives of the "story" within the mission.  But more on this later. The only other thing i can say about the story is that it's entirely disingenuous to say that we're seeing "both sides" of a conflict when each side's campaign has missions that the other doesn't have.  If you play as the resistance you don't shoot a missile at the ark founders tower as it happens in the security campaign.  (You do get to do it in a "what if" mission outside of the normal resistance campaign) You essentially have two slightly different stories where the side you play as is clearly good and the other side is clearly bad.   No shades of gray that were hinted at in the pre-release hype-train.  What a sad half assed cop-out in a sad half assed campaign.  It is a shame as you can see the promise in the back story but the developers failed to deliver.

This would have been a much much better game if three or four things would have been done:

1) Ditch the story altogether - set it up, give a back story but don't try and tell any real narrative outside of mission objectives. That way they could have been randomized and given fresh life to maps that will age very quickly.  Anyone familiar with Killzone's Warzone mode will know what I'm talking about.

2) No campaign = lower price - For all intents and purposes there is no single player campaign in this game.  I think expectations would be in the right place if this were cheaper at launch - $45 - $40 seems about right to me.

3) More maps - 8 maps? Really? and that's for both "single player" and multiplayer.  Even for a downloadable multiplayer only title that's a little thin much less for a $60 disc title.

4) Integrate the systems - This is one of my only mechanical beefs with the game.  The character customizations are great - too bad once i start a game i can't change anything more about my character other than his class and guns (only guns, not attachments).  I'd love the ability to change my weight since that has such a big impact to gameplay - or to give me the option to tie together certain weapon sets with certain classes so I'm not wasting valuable time dicking around with that stuff in game.  Or even let me switch characters around in game so that if i need to switch to an engineer i have my engineer character all customized and ready to go. There are really great systems in Brink but it's like they don't talk to each other or are just layered one on top of the other with nothing that breaks through and combines them in some meaningful way.

I'm very much of a split mind on Brink.  It has issues but it's pretty fun to play.  But I still feel like a sucker paying $60 for it.
    benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By benjaebe

It also got the part where it was supposed to be fun wrong. Haven't really enjoyed the time I've spent with it and feel like it's too expensive for what you get and a lot of the potential of the SMART system was wasted.

ninjatuned

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By ninjatuned

I think part of the issue with the SMART system (and some of the other things like weapons unlocks) is that they're never fully explained.  I saw someone else suggest they implement the color coding system used in Mirror's Edge to indicate places you can leap to.  Seems like a good idea to me.  I totally agree tho - SMART was wasted and it's far to expensive for what you get.

ABritishNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By ABritishNerd

You share the same views as me, and I'm sure a lot of other people. I will be promtly trading it in to get LA Noire, a game I'm sure is much more deserving of my hard earned cash!

Red_R0B0T

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Red_R0B0T

I think aside from the obvious problems like Lag and a lack of maps, my biggest gripe with Brink was the gun feel. 
    I unlocked all of the weapons (except the chain gun... that last tower defense level was annoying) and within a given weapon class, I had a hard time telling one from the other. Despite what their marked stats claimed, they all felt equally innaccurate and weak.  
    It sorta felt like what I imagine first-person shooting would feel like in an MMO.  
    I think if this were using, say, the Frostbite engine from Dice games, it'd solve most of the problems I have with how the game feels. 

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By Yanngc33

How bout good AI? Or was I the only one playing this in singlepayer

Red_R0B0T

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Red_R0B0T
    @Yanngc33 said:
    How bout good AI? Or was I the only one playing this in singlepayer
    Yeah, I only played coop or competitive. I was warned that the AI was kinda janky, so I avoided single player.
    ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By ProfessorEss
    @Red_R0B0T said:
    It sorta felt like what I imagine first-person shooting would feel like in an MMO.  
    Wow, yeah I totally get that. 

The haziness of the targets (generally just shooting at their colored glow) really added to that feel too.
    kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By kingzetta

So basically everything everyone already said a week ago?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.