Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty: Black Ops

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Nov 09, 2010

The seventh installment of the long-running action franchise, Call of Duty: Black Ops puts players into the early era of the Cold War (including the Vietnam War) as a member of the United States black operations unit known as the SOG.

Anyone playing on the PC problem-free?

stephengotlost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By stephengotlost

Hi, I really look forward to purchasing this game on the PC tomorrow, but I am hesitant as I see all these complaints surrounding the PC in terms of lag spikes, poor performance, and stutter issues.
    Have any of you PC players been fortunate enough to avoid all these problems - are these issues overblown?
    Thanks.
    FYI my processor is a E5400 and my GPU is GT240

Vital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Vital

The only problem I have had so far is a little bit of stuttering at the very beginning of a map, but after a few seconds the game will run smooth.

Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Mcfart

Me. I'm running on low though. However I don't mind cause it's a laptop....my desktop gets the stuttering though.

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By ch13696

I'm running a GTS 450, 4GB DDR2 Ram, and a Athlon X2 7550+ 2.75GHz Processor. I just got this game today and I'm experiencing some stuttering. And some pretty long load times between levels. If you take a look at the Steam forums then you'll notice that there's still people experiencing the same problem. Even after the patch. 

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=997

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ch13696

Someone actually put up a proper fix for the stuttering. Turn vsync on and turn shadows off. That crap actually works. Tested it myself. 

ZimboDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ZimboDK

Got a Q6600, 2GB DDR2 RAM and a 9600GT. running it in 1920x1080 with everything except AA maxed. No problems here. Well, except for lag. The lag in US servers is to be expected (I live in Denmark), but even on Danish servers I'm getting around 100ms delay. Ah well, hope it gets better when I get fiber next month.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By bybeach

I'm amazed how well my core 2 extreme Q6850 and sli 8800 ultras do. I'm generations behind, but except for foregoing antiailaising because I'm running resolution at 1080 and it did crash doing both, the game runs well. No crashes or glitches since, but I only play single player,so....
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Your specs are a bit low, I think you can't really play anything besides lower settings and there will be alot of stuttering.

stephengotlost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By stephengotlost

I think I'll be fine on that front. WaW and MW2 ran fine at high settings on my old  8600GT and Pentium 4.
    Thanks for the responses, I think I'll still pick it up, but after a definitive patch.

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By vitor
    @stephengotlost said:
    "  I think I'll be fine on that front. WaW and MW2 ran fine at high settings on my old  8600GT and Pentium 4. Thanks for the responses, I think I'll still pick it up, but after a definitive patch. "
    MW2 ran fine for me but occasionally the performance here can't quite match it (note that I consider anything below 50/60FPS in a COD game to be inadequate but the game is still more than playable at the 30FPS it occasionally hovers around for me, just a shame the engine doesn't seem as well optimised as MW2's)
    Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By Tennmuerti

Levels take forever to load for me and it's unplayable due to constant stuttering.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#12  Edited By Marz

I get small freezes and stuttering still
    core 2 quad @3ghz
    gtx 480

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By meteora

The patch fixed most of the stuttering for me, but I just got it back recently. I know it was the server issue that had some serious stuttering, but I had a few occasional ones on another. Running everything maximum except for AA and getting 30-60 fps.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#14  Edited By Tennmuerti

Reposting from the other thread since this is asking for PC issues.

(having had some time to play it during the weekend)
    The PC version of the game has severe issues:

1. Bad bad bad optimization. It run's like shit. I'm having to turn off shadows completely to even make it bearable and not 1fps when you shoot something, it is a joke. (patch didn't help)
    2. Load times on maps are atrocious.
    3. Server browser is fucked. It loads up thousands of servers, which takes time. There is no way to filter search by region. Why the fuck would I want to see servers on the other side of the globe with 500+ latency with every search? There is even a region column present but you can only sort by it, it still loads up all the servers, this would not be an issue, but it takes some time to load them all up.
    4. No way to search by server name or connect directly.
    5. Most of the time the server you are trying to join just hangs, with you stuck at trying to connect to server.
    6. No options to set for just selecting ranked match, such as game mode even ... what the hell ... you literally cannot set any options when selecting a ranked match from non server menu, it just dumps you wherever it pleases you, into far away servers with random game modes and settings, if at all, because once again it doesn't work half the time.
    7. Bugged character progression system, I got out of a series of matches yesterday and lost 20k points and 8 levels, whoopee!
    8. Game-play is tailored to a console with a controller. You can see the sights "stick" to a target a bit. Sprinting only cancels when you stop moving not when letting go of the sprint button, since with a controller scheme this makes more sense not with a keyboard. To name the ones that stick out the most.
    9. For some reason it constantly tries to "download game setting" letting you patiently tap you fingers between menus now and again, while you wait.

These are just PC specific issues.
    There are plenty of other problems with the game. (like the spawn system for one)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.