Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty: Black Ops

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Nov 09, 2010

The seventh installment of the long-running action franchise, Call of Duty: Black Ops puts players into the early era of the Cold War (including the Vietnam War) as a member of the United States black operations unit known as the SOG.

Seriously? Fuckin Perks look the same.

joeybagad0nutz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By joeybagad0nutz

Most of these perks are the same perks from MW2. Right away I see Lightweigh and Marathon..... How is that going to balance the game? I'm starting to get second thoughts about the multiplayer. Now it looks like I'm only going to look forward to the single-player.
    gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

Them re-using perks is really going to kill the whole multiplayer for you?

Aetos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Aetos

Hey umm mind posting a link to the particular video, story, picture that you saw this in?

joeybagad0nutz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By joeybagad0nutz
    @Gamer_152:
    No, its the fact that I remember people kept saying this game was going to be more balanced and seeing two perks right away that helped unbalanced the game in the first place is pissing me off. I don't mind them re-using perks but having them in the order where they can be used at the same time upsets me. I thought they were going to put Marathon and Lightweight in the same perk class so they wouldn't help unbalance the game.
    Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By Animasta

maybe they're rebalancing?

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By meteora

Those perks in particular are not overpowered. What was overpowered in the game was cheap ass shotguns that had a ridiculous range (though to be honest, IRL that is probably the range of a shotgun blast), commando in combination of Marathon + Lightweight and numerous of other guns. 

Eh. Whatever. They have to reuse a few perks.

joeybagad0nutz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By joeybagad0nutz
    George_Hukas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By George_Hukas

You realize only the names are the same right?? What makes you think things are being tweaked and balanced? Seriously..

lead_farmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#9  Edited By lead_farmer

I don't think anyone truly believes that this game is gonna be balanced.  There will always be some sort of thing that can be exploited.  Reality of the game. 

Don't mind though.  As long as bullets still bring a dude down.  Even the ones that are running unusually fast.

RockStizzar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By RockStizzar

Yeah, cause those were the two perks that were broken. Not One man army, commando, and scavenger pro allowing you to essentially lay unlimited claymores.

If you want to talk about things they should not copy from mw2, talk about the killstreaks, then you have a pretty good argument going.

joeybagad0nutz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By joeybagad0nutz
    @RockStizzar said:
    "Yeah, cause those were the two perks that were broken. Not One man army, commando, and scavenger pro allowing you to essentially lay unlimited claymores.  If you want to talk about things they should not copy from mw2, talk about the killstreaks, then you have a pretty good argument going. "

I forgot about Scavenger Pro. That is still in the game. I just used those examples because they were the only ones I could think that pissed me off in my most recent game of MW2.
    Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By Lukeweizer
    @JoeRiccadonna said:
    " Most of these perks are the same perks from MW2. Right away I see Lightweigh and Marathon..... How is that going to balance the game? I'm starting to get second thoughts about the multiplayer. Now it looks like I'm only going to look forward to the single-player. "
    They're balanced cause everyone has access to them. What's stopping you from using Lightweight and Marathon?
    slax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#13  Edited By slax

Marathon is going back to only allowing you to run for extended amounts of time, not unlimited amounts of times. So although they are reusing perk names they are constantly trying to tweak and balance the perks.

RockStizzar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By RockStizzar
    @Lukeweizer said:
    " @JoeRiccadonna said:
    " Most of these perks are the same perks from MW2. Right away I see Lightweigh and Marathon..... How is that going to balance the game? I'm starting to get second thoughts about the multiplayer. Now it looks like I'm only going to look forward to the single-player. "
    They're balanced cause everyone has access to them. What's stopping you from using Lightweight and Marathon? "
    That is such a bullshit way to look at anything.  If a game has a win button, no matter if every player has this win button, it is a broken ass mechanic. I'm not saying one way or another that his examples are broken or not but writing it off as balance by accessibility is ignorant.
    TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By TwoOneFive

They're reorganizing the perks.  

So, if I were you I'd be happy that the same perks exist but in better categories. Like for instance, "quick-scoping" is a thing of the past because steady aim and sleight of hand are both in the same perk category and sleight of hand does NOT work for sniper rifles anymore. they also cut marathon to just extra running. they did not include perks like commando and stopping power either.   

commando is what made lightweight and marathon horrible (plus the fact that marathon was unlimited) in MW2.  without commando, you're whole whining about this is nonsense. 

they've done a lot of work to fix and balance what infinity ward was always too stubborn to admit to doing wrong. 

canucks23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By canucks23

Marathon is like extreme conditioning from CoD4. It just gives you a longer sprint time, not unlimited so relax. That and they're not focusing on perks really with this game. They've changed up loadouts in pretty much every way, and from what i've seen the perks list looks fine. At least they're not taking chances by creating their own perks again and risking another commando... Perks aren't really the big focus anymore. They've taken the best perks from the last games and tried to balance them. No more quick zooming for snipers with Sleigh of hand pro, no more getting noob tube ammo from scavenger pro. I really dont have a problem with what they're doing.

heremy8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By heremy8

The only perks I really hated was someone using the one man army and danger close combo. VERY irritating playing CTF with someone using that. Scavenger wasn't a bad class to me, I know it could frustrate some people with the ability to reload your ammo on claymores and tubes. I use to use scavenger pro just to get ammo for my gun, but I never used it for tubes since I'm a horrible shot with those damn things. But I thought I read somewhere that scavenger pro will not refill your tubes this time?
    warchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By warchief

i just read the perks list. holy shit Ghost / Ghost Pro seems broken. 

Druminator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Druminator

Marathon isn't infinite sprint any more, just longer sprinting time. Lightweight is also different, it depends on the weapon you have now. If you're using an LMG you won't be as light as if you were using an SMG. They've actually taken out most of the bitch perks like Commando, One Man Army, Stopping Power and Juggernaut. Only one they've left that I've heard people hate is Last Stand. I've never had a problem with it but I can see how people don't like it.

RockStizzar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By RockStizzar
    @Warchief said:
    " i just read the perks list. holy shit Ghost / Ghost Pro seems broken.  "
    I thought the same thing. But all it is is Cold Blooded/Pro except you are not invisible to ALL killstreaks.
    fjordson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#21  Edited By fjordson

Always fun when people jump to conclusions before a game is even out. 

Though to be honest, I never thought Marathon or Lightweight were that overpowered.

hexogen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#22  Edited By hexogen

Yeah, the majority of the perks are rehashes, but they're making refinements to many of them that will hopefully make the game more balanced. 

• Scavenger: Only reloads ammunition and primary grenades. This means no launchers, equipment, or special grenades will be replenished, making running around with a grenade launcher or a rocket launcher a less viable tactic. Not to mention there's no One Man Army or Danger Close. 
    • Ghost: Makes you invisible to spy planes (UAV) and Blackbirds (super-UAV). Killstreaks can still detect and shoot at you, so running around with the perk on will not make you near invincible to killstreaks. And in a game so focused on killstreaks, especially since MW2, I think that's a good thing.  
    • Hardline: Pro version will let you re-roll the figurative care package dice once if you end up with a shitty care package reward.
    • Sleight of Hand: Sleight of Hand Pro's effect (aim down sights faster) does not work on sniper class weapons, making it significantly harder to run around the map quick scoping everybody. So snipers will actually have to play like snipers. 
    • Marathon: No more unlimited sprint. Just increases sprint time, just like Extreme Conditioning. 
    • Second Chance: It's Last Stand, except teammates can revive downed players. This was pretty cool in WaW., so I'm glad they're bringing it back. I will say it is kind of annoying to shoot someone and then have to wait for them to finish their "down" animation before you can finish them off, but this is the case with Last Stand too. 

I may be missing some changes, but those are the ones I know of. So while a lot of the perks are similar, I think they're making some smart changes that will probably make the game better for it. Feel free to disagree.

[EDIT] I will add that most of this info is off of the Call of Duty Wiki on wikia.com. Some of it is sourced, some of it isn't, so it may not be 100% true. But with the game being shown off so much and being so close to release, most of it is probably accurate.
    Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#23  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

My name is Seth.  There are other people named Seth.  I can bet you that we are not the same thing.

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By DonPixel
    @JoeRiccadonna said:
    " @Gamer_152: No, its the fact that I remember people kept saying this game was going to be more balanced and seeing two perks right away that helped unbalanced the game in the first place is pissing me off. I don't mind them re-using perks but having them in the order where they can be used at the same time upsets me. I thought they were going to put Marathon and Lightweight in the same perk class so they wouldn't help unbalance the game. "
    I don´t like balanced.. that´s for lassy pancys
    PISTOLcm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By PISTOLcm

They're moving perks around. 

You will no longer be able to have ninja and marathon. Or ninja and commando. 

Jaunty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Jaunty

In addition to slight alterations to the perks, they seem to have re-organized them as well, meaning the possible combinations have been changed. 
    That's something, I guess.

Bass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#27  Edited By Bass

It seems more balanced to me, from a glance (obviously, without playing, not much else can be said with confidence). 
    Scavenger doesn't allow you to reload noobtubes/claymores. One many army doesn't exist. Danger close doesn't exist. Commando doesn't exist. I had few complaints about MW2 that weren't related to these 4 perks. 
    Marathon & Lightweight were never broken to begin with. Ninja can't be combined with Marathon and Lightweight, so you can hear these people from a mile away and commando is gone. Boom, the two top perks used with Marathon and Lightweight are no longer viable. 
    In addition to that, stopping power is gone, which evens the playing field for everyone in terms of gun fights. 
    Killstreaks no longer count towards the next killstreak, so killstreak whoring will be toned done/require skill to acquire higher level kill streaks. 
    And, the guns seem to have more recoil that in MW2, although the full extent of the guns has yet to be seen. 
    Seem a lot more balanced to me, though.

Jaunty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Jaunty

not being able to refill your claymores seems pretty crappy, is that confirmed?

BRNK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By BRNK
    @Jaunty said:
    " not being able to refill your claymores seems pretty crappy, is that confirmed? "
    What? Do you want a game about shooting and skill or a game about hiding in a corner waiting for someone to stumble into your mine? Infinite claymores are the bane of MW2.
    Jaunty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Jaunty
    @BRNK: Claymores are about being able to cover your flank from oblivious enemies, you don't set one down and watch it from your corner, the entire point is that you don't need to be watching them. A little situational awareness allows them to be easily avoided, especially considering that—if approached from anything but head-on—you can actually sprint past them before they explode. 
    jmrwacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By jmrwacko

If they made it so that Scavenger doesn't refill explosives, it would be absolutely fine and balanced.

Jaunty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Jaunty
    @jmrwacko: That I can agree with, the oher post just gave me the impression that it would refill grenades and specifically exclude claymores.
    PirateNeal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By PirateNeal

Marathon is a basic perk that has been used even in the first Modern Warfare and i have no problem with that, now if they reuse danger close I'm going to be pissed

foggel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By foggel

Well I hate changes :P

mfpantst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By mfpantst

this thread just goes to show you can't felate everyone.

reign

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#36  Edited By reign

How about we wait until the game actually comes out to complain about this stuff?

mfpantst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By mfpantst
    @REIGN: fuck that.  thats asinine.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.