Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty: Black Ops

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Nov 09, 2010

The seventh installment of the long-running action franchise, Call of Duty: Black Ops puts players into the early era of the Cold War (including the Vietnam War) as a member of the United States black operations unit known as the SOG.

Trying to Get Into Online Multiplayer - Black Ops Edition

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

Edited By ZombiePie  Staff

I don't know why but I have never really seen the appeal of online multiplayer. There's no one aspect about it that I can pinpoint and say that is the reason why I have never made a real concerted effort to play games online. I don't count my forays in Massively Multiplayer games due to me always being a ardent Player versus Environment player that avoided raiding and interacting with other players like they were a plague. As far as shooters go I think I played two or three Halo 3 matches online and I player one match online for Modern Warfare 2. So I guess it's a suprise that I'm using Call of Duty: Black Ops to wean me into online multiplayer. 

I guess this is where I make my confession...I like shooters especially first person shooters...but I'm terrible at first person shooters. I have had friends that are great at this game watch me and coach me and give me advice, and so far none of it has worked. So I've kind of come to terms that I'm probably never going to be calling the dogs anytime soon.

I don't want to convey the sense that because I am bad at Call of Duty that I don't enjoy the online multiplayer. It's quite the opposite. It's this weird dynamic where I actually enjoy the game more. I am continually amazed at how terrible I am at this game and it has officially reached a level of hilarity that adds to the experience. It's gotten to the point where I'm hardwired to expect that my kill/death ratio be around .333 (1/3). Why would I be proud for such a feat? When you go 4-13 each individual kill that you do get is far more enjoyable than if you have a positive kill death ratio. Maybe it's just me trying to rationalize my terribleness, but I can honestly say that I don't want to get good at this game. I remember my terrible sessions a lot better than my great sessions. I can't tell you what my best session is (I think 22-8), but I can honestly look you in the eye and say I went 3-27 and it was great and it was a wonderful time for me at least. 

Now as a user who is almost always at the bottom of my team and sometimes the reason why my team loses Team Deathmatch I guess it's time for me to address the community side of Black Ops. I honestly have say that yes people do insult you when you are terrible, but they are so uncreative with their insults that I'm disappointed. Maybe being a mod has unforseen benefits but I'm never insulted when I play matches online. People who go online should come prepared with tough skin.

Now why would users get angry at me on the first place? Because I'm THAT USER on Black Ops. I still use an M-16 with an ACOG sight even though I'm now level 15. I use the RC-XD because yo homie I needs me some kills. I use Second Chance, because...come on...I need KILLS! I use hardline...because I'm the reason why there is the Hardline perk in the first place. I have my killstreaks numbered at 2-3-4 (using Hardline) because I think I have called a mortar strike legitimately once. When I get flashbanged I charge like a maniac with my finger holding the trigger screaming "ARRRGGGHHHH" on my microphone. I'm the guy who stands still on open fields doing nothing and is a sniper's delight. I'm exclusively playing Headquarters to boost my XP and almost always never actually contribute to my team and am just on for the ride. Also, and it probably is why I don't do that good in this game in the first place, I always hesitate to pull the trigger when I see an enemy player.

I'm slowly but surely starting to understand why people put so much time and effort into this game. It's oddly hypnotic making emblems and buying new guns and stuff to put on those guns. Whether or not I continue to play this game months after the fact I guess is the big question but for now I'm enjoying...maybe for the the wrong reasons but for my own reasons at the very least.

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By ZombiePie  Staff

I don't know why but I have never really seen the appeal of online multiplayer. There's no one aspect about it that I can pinpoint and say that is the reason why I have never made a real concerted effort to play games online. I don't count my forays in Massively Multiplayer games due to me always being a ardent Player versus Environment player that avoided raiding and interacting with other players like they were a plague. As far as shooters go I think I played two or three Halo 3 matches online and I player one match online for Modern Warfare 2. So I guess it's a suprise that I'm using Call of Duty: Black Ops to wean me into online multiplayer. 

I guess this is where I make my confession...I like shooters especially first person shooters...but I'm terrible at first person shooters. I have had friends that are great at this game watch me and coach me and give me advice, and so far none of it has worked. So I've kind of come to terms that I'm probably never going to be calling the dogs anytime soon.

I don't want to convey the sense that because I am bad at Call of Duty that I don't enjoy the online multiplayer. It's quite the opposite. It's this weird dynamic where I actually enjoy the game more. I am continually amazed at how terrible I am at this game and it has officially reached a level of hilarity that adds to the experience. It's gotten to the point where I'm hardwired to expect that my kill/death ratio be around .333 (1/3). Why would I be proud for such a feat? When you go 4-13 each individual kill that you do get is far more enjoyable than if you have a positive kill death ratio. Maybe it's just me trying to rationalize my terribleness, but I can honestly say that I don't want to get good at this game. I remember my terrible sessions a lot better than my great sessions. I can't tell you what my best session is (I think 22-8), but I can honestly look you in the eye and say I went 3-27 and it was great and it was a wonderful time for me at least. 

Now as a user who is almost always at the bottom of my team and sometimes the reason why my team loses Team Deathmatch I guess it's time for me to address the community side of Black Ops. I honestly have say that yes people do insult you when you are terrible, but they are so uncreative with their insults that I'm disappointed. Maybe being a mod has unforseen benefits but I'm never insulted when I play matches online. People who go online should come prepared with tough skin.

Now why would users get angry at me on the first place? Because I'm THAT USER on Black Ops. I still use an M-16 with an ACOG sight even though I'm now level 15. I use the RC-XD because yo homie I needs me some kills. I use Second Chance, because...come on...I need KILLS! I use hardline...because I'm the reason why there is the Hardline perk in the first place. I have my killstreaks numbered at 2-3-4 (using Hardline) because I think I have called a mortar strike legitimately once. When I get flashbanged I charge like a maniac with my finger holding the trigger screaming "ARRRGGGHHHH" on my microphone. I'm the guy who stands still on open fields doing nothing and is a sniper's delight. I'm exclusively playing Headquarters to boost my XP and almost always never actually contribute to my team and am just on for the ride. Also, and it probably is why I don't do that good in this game in the first place, I always hesitate to pull the trigger when I see an enemy player.

I'm slowly but surely starting to understand why people put so much time and effort into this game. It's oddly hypnotic making emblems and buying new guns and stuff to put on those guns. Whether or not I continue to play this game months after the fact I guess is the big question but for now I'm enjoying...maybe for the the wrong reasons but for my own reasons at the very least.

tobygw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: -1

#2  Edited By tobygw

Sounds like combat training is for you.

emkeighcameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By emkeighcameron

I know what you mean, man. I'm pretty good at BC2, but I'm absolute crap at any COD game online.

It's reached the point where I think it's just hilarious to join a game and see how horribly I get mutilated. It just proves that things other than "winning" can be pretty damn fun.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#4  Edited By cornbredx

Ya i don't like playing multiplayer all that much either. I am also surprised at how fun I find black ops to be although I don't think I'm as bad as you, i wont say I'm great. I'm not.

I played alot of CSS back in the day cus i had friends that played, and I got into MMOs the same way. Now-a-days I don't have that many friends that play, so generally multiplayer does not appeal to me as I don't want to listen to 12 year olds whine or some other absurd thing. I have everyone that's not on my friends list muted though so that hasn't been a problem.

Anyway, again I don't know why but I enjoy BL OPs multiplayer as well. It's kinda weird how that works, a lot of the fans of MW2 said its boring and me, a non fan, actually likes it. Go figure haha

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#5  Edited By ArbitraryWater

To be fair, Call of Duty is around 75% twitch, 25% strategy for each individual situation you encounter. The major road to success is to simply have good reflexes, and occasionally remember to throw a flashbang. Certainly, you need a bit more strategizing on objective modes, but really not much. If you run against the wall long enough, you'll get better. It took months for me to be competent at Call of Duty 4.

FourWude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By FourWude

Get off my Call of Duties. 

*Boy, bring me my rifle Louise. We have ourselves here a trespassing noob.*

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By mracoon

Play TF2.

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ZombiePie  Staff
    @tobygw:  Combat training is dumb. There's no incentive to do it other than to do for the sake of doing it. I'll play with humans over bots anyways.
    @mracoon: No gaming computer means no Team Fortress 2 and consoles all the way. I only have a three year old netbook that loves to overheat.
    Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By Baillie
    @ZombiePie: Combat Training ain't dumb, I really enjoy it. Especially when you don't have campers or teammates who all try for 360 no scopes etc. 

Anyway, best advice is to just trawl through it. You'll want to be able to learn all the maps, knowing where people might spawn/come from is always key. Then the more you play, the more you will get used to the speed of multiplayer. I'd definitely say start with a bunch of combat training if you're really quite new. Start from Regular difficulty and ramp it up. Once you get the hang of things and start getting a lot of kills per game, go into some TDM online. Get a bunch of friends to play with you. Having good teammates is vital to having fun, thus allowing you to want to play more and eventually get better.
    emem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By emem
    @ZombiePie:  "   I have had friends that are great at this game watch me and coach me and give me advice..." <- That's such a great sentence. :) 

I assume you're playing on a 360!? The only advices I would give are "practice practice practice" and watch demos once you've got a feeling for the game (more usefull than most people think).

Thinking about playing a competitive FPS on a console.. I wouldn't be able to aim with a controller so I'd have to learn how to move and aim from scratch.. I'm not sure if I'd enjoy that.
    eccentrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11  Edited By eccentrix

Play stealthily, you're sure to get a few kills that way.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By natetodamax

After three prestiges, I am totally done with Black Ops. With the other COD games, I would say that I was done but a few weeks later I would get a burning desire to play again. But with Black Ops, I just have no desire whatsoever to even look at the case. That ship has sailed.

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#13  Edited By citizenkane

Hell, I used the M16 w/ Red Dot until I was about Level 45, but that was only because I wanted to complete the challenges and I was still above 1.00 K/D (even though that doesn't really matter as much since I play strictly Headquarters).

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ZombiePie  Staff
    @eccentrix:  That requires too much skill.
    @emem:@Baillie: I thought that I made it very clear that I don't want to get better and enjoy being bad. I just went 5-42 and it was great.
    Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Baillie
    @ZombiePie: Well, sorry for trying to give some friendly advice, jerk face.
    jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By jkz
    HEY!!!! 

Don't diss on the M-16. I'm level 37 on my second prestige, and I still use it and it alone (I hold about a 2.26 KDR; the M-16 is awesome). 

Also, I totally understand where you're coming from. I feel like, when I'm good at a game, my competitive instinct kicks in, and I become far more tense; if, on the other hand, I'm not all that great at a certain game, I find myself just enjoying all of my time spent playing the game, rather than only enjoying my time spent winning. It's an odd dichotomy, sure, but I can totally understand it.
    emem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By emem
    @ZombiePie: Alright, then you probably shouldn't let friends "coach" you either. :)) But I get where you're coming from, enjoy your time with Black Ops.

@Baillie: Haha. 

@jukezypoo: I don't know, when I start playing a game I don't mind sucking hard, but when I've played it for I while I want to become better.. I'm pretty competitive, though.
    ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ZombiePie  Staff
    @Baillie:  5-42! HOW DO YOU EVEN DO THAT?!

My options are that I either become mediocre of continue being the best of the worst. I want to be the lanterne rogue instead of being unnoticeable.
    eccentrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19  Edited By eccentrix
    @natetodamax said:
    " I just have no desire whatsoever to even look at the case."
    I've had it about a week and I don't want to look at the case/disc/manual again. It's ugly.
    CactusJack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#20  Edited By CactusJack
    @ZombiePie:
    Keep on truckin'. 

I am in a similiar boat.  I love shooters, but I am terrible at them.  I get excited when I break 10 kills in Black Ops. I keep playing because I like playing with my friends online, especially since we have moved apart.  Multiplayer games are SO much better this way.  I don't play because I have skill.

Add me on Live, and we can play together.  Be warned.  I am working through Mass Effect 2 right now for the first time, so that's ALL I've been doing. 
    Masonvd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Masonvd

Interesting tale, it's probably true though, when you've got 20 deaths you don't care about 21 deaths, when I'm at 10 and 0 that one death is a knife to the face and neck. Uh :( 

While I don't want to ruin your fun by any means and am probably going to sound like an asshole regardless I really suggest you play combat training and stay out of proper matches, there's no worse feeling for a serious layer than to be the best scoring player in an entire round of TDM and still lose because of dudes going 3 - 27. I know I sound like an ass but...

Masonvd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Masonvd

Also if you don't have the reflexes try BC2, way more strategy involved imo. 

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#23  Edited By Yummylee

I have to admit, reading this makes you sound like a really fun broski to shoot infidels/russians/other evil foreigners with.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#24  Edited By AlexW00d
    @ZombiePie: I enjoy your way of thinking. It is refreshing to come across someone who has fun playing regardless, as opposed to all the idiots who take the game far too seriously.
    Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Example1013

Black Ops has nothing to do with skill and everything to do with experience, so it's a good thing you're enjoying it without having to put in the effort. I've been playing console shooters for probably over 10 years now, and that's really the only reason I'm good at the game, from what I can see, since I rarely play. 

And 5-42 really is pretty amazing. I'd love to see you in action, just to watch. It's rare that you actually see someone do that unless they're actively trying to die.

Jayross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#26  Edited By Jayross

Man... Battlefield is pretty sweet...

cetecete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By cetecete

PVE for the win! I always prefer that way but...FPS are different. And more if the multiplayer is from a Call of Duty videogame :D

Wuddel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Wuddel

Well, online FPS are much about, being better at predicting what the other one will do next than the enemy. Sure there are face off situations, but mostly you get shot in the back. I am usually around a K/D of 1. It would be abit better if I would try to unlock stuff all the time. I do not really get the idea of using one weapon the entire game.

I think you should decide for your self if you want to make your FPS experience about teamplay and winning the game, or just about kills and being the "enfant terrible". If the first is true you probably should not play team deathmatch.

While I played a good share of several CoD games online, I would like to join in with the recommendation of Bad Company 2. These games are about objectives, winning the game and teamplay. (There is also TD, but no one rally plays that.) Most of the time this is also respeced by the players. While staying alive is somewhat important, since it ties to the victory condition ( unlike CoD's Domination mode), it is not absolutely paramount to your feeling of achievement (in CoD killstreaks). In fact you will get a metagame going in your head. Something like "i will destroy this tank, so we can take that base. I eo not care if I die a few times.

Playing bad while trying to be a teamplayer and trying to win, is much more satisfying, in part due to the fact that the ranking is based more on scores than kills, and that teamplay will be greatly rewarded. As a Medic you can even dominate the scoreboard even with a 0.3 K/D AND help your team a great deal. (Even without pointlessly reviving. Although, I never got what the deal is with that. I have no problem getting shot down after a revive. The net ticket counter for the team is the same, and often you can distract the enemy team until your objective charge blows up.)

Also it is a great time to jump in. You can get the main game pretty cheap, and the Vietnam expansion is pretty good.

Joshakazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Joshakazam

I see where you're coming from, I'm bloody terrible at online multi player, more of a co-op/single player guy so when I play any game online I suggest screwing around and having fun because believe, at the end of the day you will have a much more enjoyable experience. 

For example, I went into a match only going prone around the map, ended up finishing 6-12 but I was pissing myself laughing the entire time, and that just makes me happy (The laughing part....not the pissing myself :P). 

Anyway, that's just the way I deal with being a noob. Oh yeah, and I only play objective games so I don't ruin the fun for my teammates in TDM :D. 

Avatar image for thevideohustler
    TheVideoHustler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By TheVideoHustler

I like you, Id play games with you

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.